• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Missouri man spits tobacco juice at Jane Fonda

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Mo. Man Spits Tobacco Juice at Jane Fonda

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

TIM CURRAN

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A man spit tobacco juice into the face of Jane Fonda after waiting in line to have her sign her new memoir. Capt. Rich Lockhart of the Kansas City Police Department said Michael A. Smith, 54, was arrested Tuesday night on a municipal charge of disorderly conduct.

He was released on bond and is due to appear in court on May 27.

Fonda covers a wide range of topics in "My Life So Far," including her 1972 visit to Hanoi to protest the Vietnam War, during which she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. She has apologized for the photo, but not for opposing the war.

Smith, a Vietnam veteran, told The Kansas City Star Wednesday that Fonda was a "traitor" and that her protests against the Vietnam War were unforgivable. He said he doesn't chew tobacco but did so Tuesday solely to spit juice on the actress.

"I consider it a debt of honor," he told The Star for a story on its Web site. "She spit in our faces for 37 years. It was absolutely worth it. There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did."

Fonda, who flew to Minneapolis Wednesday for another appearance on her book tour, issued a statement through Jynne Martin of Random House.

"In spite of the incident, my experience in Kansas City was wonderful and I thank all the warm and supportive people, including so many veterans, who came to welcome me last night," she said.

Fonda drew a crowd of about 900 at Unity Temple, said Vivian Jennings, whose Rainy Day Books of suburban Fairway, Kan., sponsored the event.

Jennings said the 67-year-old actress never got up from her seat and continued autographing books after the tobacco juice was wiped off.

"The important thing is that she was so calm and so gracious about it," Jennings said. "She was wonderful."

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

So we learn..................

It is a far greater crime to spit in someones face than it is to commit treason.

Better than blowing cigarette smoke on her! There has never been a case of cancer caused from "secondhand" spit.

Faster horses said:
All I can say to him is "BRAVO!!"

Wonder if there is a place to send money to help pay back his bail?
Yup Soapweed, Post an address to send money to help pay his Bail.

Faster horses said:
I didn't say he was good for much, I said he was nicer than Jane Fonda.
Now I understand what the others mean when they say your reading
comphrension isn't so hot.
Of course Ted Turner has to be polite with people if he wants to do business with them.
If I had to pick the better of the two, I think I'd pick Jane Fonda.

Faster horses said:
How do you know he's a good cattleman? He runs BUFFALO, not cattle.
Too bad he don't make buffalo a commodity traded on the CME.

Faster horses said:
Why do you say that?
Why do I say that?

Ted Turner...Hogs up a bunch of land....Raises bison, but does he help other bison producers market their bison?.....Purveyor of crap shows on TV and leftist propaganda on CNN......Funder of eugenics......

Oh and don't forget he gave a billion dollars to NATO.
Did you know that, or did you just forget?

I always wondered what he was getting for his money.

One thing I'll say for him (and I definitely am NOT a fan)
he is a self-made man. He failed at a lot of businesses but
he kept going. I think a lot of people are jealous of him.

I don't like him because he took a lot of ranches that supported
people (as in hired men) and no longer hired them. And he
says buffalo never tore up the land as cattle do. Hah! He's wrong
on that one. Ever seen a buffalo wallow? Nothing there....

Well lightinboy you do not realize he also supports that group of nuts who want all the diseased bison from YNP running through the entire state of Montana.

So tell me again what help has he done CATTLE RANCHERS???????
Besides drive his own neighbors crazy by bringing YNP bison to his own place?

lightninboy said:
Do all of Ted's bison get slaughtered in the same slaughterhouse or where?

Not aware of any of them getting slaughtered!!! :roll:

Latest posts