• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mistaken Identity

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I received an email from a distant cousin that said her granddaughter saw a mural of me in the Lazy Dog restaurant in the Bay area.

Mountain Cowgirl --- a mural by Dennis Ziemienski
IMG_4593_1.jpg

Yes, the face, especially the nose and eyes is spot on and the hair is close. The hair should be a bit darker.

Yes, the hat except for the lacing. The crease and brim is correct. The color is too light. It would have been natural beaver with stains. I don't recall ever having a chin strap except at 3 when I galloped around on my stick pony wearing my red hat.

The bandana would have been blue or red.

The shirt is spot on.

The waist sash wouldn't have been pink. It would have been blue or purple and only worn at rodeo. A low slung belt designed to hold a revolver holster, a knife sheath, and a holster for fence pliers would be correct.

The high rise, no pocket, relaxed fit, leather pants are spot on. The beauty of leather pants is for most jobs chaps are unnecessary. Rattlesnakes, even striking above the boot shaft might find disappointment in getting a mouth full of leather. Tight pants and working cattle women don't mix.

The boots are spot on and the heel is correct. Because of the smaller heel surface hitting the ground, reheeling was almost monthly. If I did unmounted corral roping at branding, castrating, and vax time, sometimes it was new heels and leather gloves every third roundup. Those smaller higher heels really dug in after roping a calf. It slowed the calf enough for the boys to take em down.

The spurs, no! I never wore spurs as it was forbidden in my immediate family. Other family that did rodeo would use spurs, but working cattle no. It was a rule in my family that if you needed spurs to get your horse to go, then you needed a different horse or the horse needed a different rider.

A big no on the bit. I always used just a halter. If the horse needed a bit to control it, then I wouldn't ride it.

The paint is also my favorite cowhorse and correct. While this mural does resemble me in my younger years, it isn't.

Last edited:
Great to see you back,

Faster Horses was about to send out a search party for you.

I figured you had run off and joined the Table Top Rodeo Circuit 😁
It took me a minute to get the "table top rodeo" but when I did, it did make me smile. I loved that sarcastic reference even though it was a bit ugly. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts