• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mitch Daniels won’t run for president in 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/mitch-daniels-wont-run-for-president-in-2012/2011/05/22/AFFsm48G_blog.html

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels won't seek the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, a decision that could well throw the field open to other late entrants.

"In the end, I was able to resolve every competing consideration but one, but that, the interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all," Daniels said in a statement emailed to supporters early Sunday morning. "If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry."

Daniels' decision not to run ends months of public speculation about his interest in the race in which he went from entirely uninterested to a man on the verge of a national bid.

=================

I knew very little about the man (though I try to keep up with politics) and was a bit perplexed as to why he seemed to be promoted by so many.

I've heard it said that Christie claimed he'd back Daniels for prez if he ran. Now that he's not, perhaps Christie will finally jump in. Personally, I wish he would.

was a bit perplexed as to why he seemed to be promoted by so many.

the media wanted him to run.. (so they could promote him in the primaries and destroy him in the general)..

the "established republican party elite' wanted him to run..

at least he saw that the people in this country would not back him..

Now that he's not, perhaps Christie will finally jump in. Personally, I wish he would.

down here in south Jersey we get the news firsthand..

out there you get what the media is hyping..

Christie is not who you think he is..

this statement about sums it up...
What do you call a guy who runs into a burning building? Answer... a hero. But what do you call a guy who runs into a burning building so people will think he's a hero? Answer... still a hero... probably. But it does at least raise a question or two about it.

There is no doubt that Chris Christie has run into the burning building of NJ's public finances.

He's not standing on this issue from a position of 'principle' as others have done, but from a position of 'pragmatism'. This will no doubt help him at the Newark Star Ledger, and the IBEW meeting halls, but it's not the position you would hope for from a devoted 'conservative'. And then there are his positions on the other 'hot button' national issues'.

He's pro-life, at least on paper, but he's still hyperbolically anti-gun. And he bandies about the 'comprehensive immigration reform' nonsense a little too easily for my taste.

He may not be the purely establishment Republican I feared he would, but he's no conservative when measured on the national scale. And when it comes time for him to run nationally, that's the field he'll be playing on. He's got plenty of charisma - no doubt. And he's basically smart. He's won national acclaim by looking like a real conservative, but listening to him lately, it looks like he hasn't learned anything from that.

As we ponder whether he's suited to a national role, the question really is how liberal is Christie? And I'm afraid the answer is 'too liberal' for most of the country.
http://freenj.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-liberal-is-christie.html

from the comments..
Christie certainly hasn't taken the initiative on loosening restrictions on gun rights, but he did pardon Brian Aitken for that obvious non-crime he committed.

Faster horses said:
I have a question. Why would any decent person want the job
of President after all that has gone on, especially with this last
administration?

Things are in such a mess, I wonder how it could ever be
cleaned up. :cry:

those who run for high national offices fall into a few basic types..

those like Hillery / McCain.. who think they are next in line..

those like Obama who's ego will not let them go any other way but up..

and there are those who feel they can do it, there are those who are encouraged by friends, family and supporters, and those like Palin who are flung onto the stage, but get up and really try.. as they want the best for our country..

right now there is not one of them in the republican party.. or even a version of one who is really stepping up..

sadly the media tries to pick and support their "guy" even if he is on the other side.. (McCain) and if his ego and sense of entitlement for the position drive him,, he may get a ways only to fail epically.. as McCain did..

pray for a good decent leader and beware of a false one offered by the media..

Steve, keep us posted on Christie since you're right in the thick of things.

What comes out nationally is always so filtered it's hard to separate wheat from chaff most of the time.

The thing I've liked about Christie is watching him basically telling people where to get off.....ie, we're either going to cut these costs or we're going under...simple as that.

While I consider myself to be very conservative, every time I took one of those "who's your match of a candidate" back in the 08 pub presidential race, I always ended up with McCain.........and I didn't like him. :lol:

Right now though, the pubs could run a community organizer for president and I'd be inclinded to vote for him over what we've got in the WH now.

Whitewing said:
Steve, keep us posted on Christie since you're right in the thick of things.

What comes out nationally is always so filtered it's hard to separate wheat from chaff most of the time.

The thing I've liked about Christie is watching him basically telling people where to get off.....ie, we're either going to cut these costs or we're going under...simple as that.

While I consider myself to be very conservative, every time I took one of those "who's your match of a candidate" back in the 08 pub presidential race, I always ended up with McCain.........and I didn't like him. :lol:

Right now though, the pubs could run a community organizer for president and I'd be inclinded to vote for him over what we've got in the WH now.

if he was actually cutting costs I wouldn't be complaining. but while he has talked about cuts, he hasn't made tough choices in his own administration , Corzine expanded the governor's office, staff and nominations along with the costs.. Christie took it a step further..

this state is in trouble.. and he is just fanning the flames for a bit of name recognition.. there are few conservatives I have talked to that doubt his current sincerity on a 2012 run..

he will have to run now before his record catches up to him and his chances will be gone..

Steve said:
Whitewing said:
Would you vote for him Steve, for president?

I am sure I would vote for someone other then Christie in the primaries, but if he won the nomination I would vote for him..

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I guess ya gotta dance with the one that brung ya. :D

Latest posts