• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mitt the Inevitable?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Guest
Mitt the Inevitable?

Last night's Republican debate in New "First-primary-in-the-nation" Hampshire resulted in making Mitt Romney the clear favorite if not the inevitable nominee. Rick Perry had the most to lose and he lost it. With Romney the clear front runner, Perry had to either attack him and take him down a peg or two, or at least shine on his own as the new Ronald Reagan. He did neither.

While Perry was hyped to the moon initially as the great white hope and has had a long and successful career winning elections in Texas, he hasn't been able to make the jump to national politics, where the press is not quite as docile as in Texas. Bragging and blustering and posturing get you far in Texas, but that doesn't work at all in Iowa and New Hampshire. Still, writing him off completely this early is a bit premature, but if he doesn't get his act together fast, he's toast.

A lot of pundits said Herman Cain was the big winner. He is rising in the polls and is good with quips. Anyone who thinks the Republican Party will nominate Herman Cain is smoking something pretty potent and inhaling it. The Republicans are more likely to nominate Hillary Clinton than they are to nominate Herman Cain. He's just the flavor of the month--or maybe in his case the topping of the week--but nothing more. He's just another flash in the pan, in the same line that included Donald Trump, Michelle Bachman, Rick Perry, and now Herman Cain. When the actual voting starts, he has to compete in Iowa and New Hampshire first--essentially all-white states. Then comes South Carolina, a state with many black voters, but they are all Democrats. Then Nevada, with its large Mormon population. Where could Cain win an early contest? Nowhere.

The core problem the Republicans have is that Romney is not popular with large segments of the party, but they don't have anyone else. Everyone else who steps up to bat strikes out. Romney is the last man standing. Perry had lots of money, lots of experience, good advisors, but ultimately it is up to Perry. He brings to mind an old joke. A company that manufactures dog food is seeing poor sales so the CEO hires a top-grade animal nutritionist, a very experienced product packager, and a world-class marketing manager and tells them to improve sales. Six months later, he meets with his team and sales are still poor. He asks what is going on since he has great people working for him. A small voice pipes up: "The dogs won't eat the stuff." So it seems to be with Perry as dog food. The sales team is great and the budget is more than adequate, but the product itself really isn't very good. This defect is hard to fix.

The Republican establishment is starting to see Romney as inevitable and is beginning to close ranks around him. Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) endorsed Romney yesterday. Expect more endorsements. Christie might be angling for the Veep slot though. He has said he is not ready for the presidency many times, but he could run for Veep saying that in 4 or 8 years of sitting on Romney's knee and learning the ropes, he could be ready in 2020.

What do the tea partiers do now? They don't trust Romney, but with Perry sinking and Cain just not serious, they don't have a candidate. Furthermore, since Florida moved its primary to Jan. 31 and Iowa's caucuses are tentatively set for Jan. 3, there is no time for anyone else to enter the race, unless that person is already very widely known. Sarah Palin could probably do it, but she has said she is not running. There is basically nobody left, so barring a huge upset in a key early state (e.g., Perry winning New Hampshire), it is beginning to look like Obama vs. Romney. If Ron Paul decides to run as an independent, many of the tea partiers would vote for him, thus guaranteeing an Obama landslide. Paul knows this and is unlikely to run. Besides, he ran for President in the 1988 general election as the candidate of the Libertarian Party. His 15 minutes of fame have come and gone. So if Romney is the GOP nominee, the tea partiers are going to have to bite the bullet or hold their noses or however you want to put it, and support Romney, just as the Hillary Clinton supporters did during the Fall of 2008.

Such a race might produce a rarity in American politics, an issues-based campaign. Romney would say he wants to repeal Obamacare and Obama would say it is good thing and we must keep it at all costs. This is a major issue in which the candidates differ completely. It could be a change from the usual mudslinging.
http://electoral-vote.com/
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Romney is the favorite of the establishment Republicans and no doubt conservatives will vote for him over obama, but he is not the favorite of conservatives by a long shot.

The media will boost his "favorability" because he is more liberal than the other and they are trying to sway people's opinions.

OT, why would Rommney make a better President than any of the others? what sets him apart?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
hypocritexposer said:
OT, why would Rommney make a better President than any of the others? what sets him apart?

I'm not saying he is...But I thought this was quite interesting- that a party who's convention is made up almost entirely of old rich grey haired men in thousand dollar suits and old botox filled women decked out in their designer gowns and diamonds- with few minorities being represented- would nominate a black man for President... :???:

A lot of pundits said Herman Cain was the big winner. He is rising in the polls and is good with quips. Anyone who thinks the Republican Party will nominate Herman Cain is smoking something pretty potent and inhaling it. The Republicans are more likely to nominate Hillary Clinton than they are to nominate Herman Cain. He's just the flavor of the month--or maybe in his case the topping of the week--but nothing more.

I also agree with his Ron Paul statement:
If Ron Paul decides to run as an independent, many of the tea partiers would vote for him, thus guaranteeing an Obama landslide.

I do believe that Romney probably stands the best chance of beating Obama- altho personally I like Huntsman more than Romney...
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
OT, why would Rommney make a better President than any of the others? what sets him apart?

I'm not saying he is...But I thought this was quite interesting- that a party who's convention is made up almost entirely of old rich grey haired men in thousand dollar suits and old botox filled women decked out in their designer gowns and diamonds- with few minorities being represented- would nominate a black man for President... :???:

A lot of pundits said Herman Cain was the big winner. He is rising in the polls and is good with quips. Anyone who thinks the Republican Party will nominate Herman Cain is smoking something pretty potent and inhaling it. The Republicans are more likely to nominate Hillary Clinton than they are to nominate Herman Cain. He's just the flavor of the month--or maybe in his case the topping of the week--but nothing more.

I also agree with his Ron Paul statement:
If Ron Paul decides to run as an independent, many of the tea partiers would vote for him, thus guaranteeing an Obama landslide.

I do believe that Romney probably stands the best chance of beating Obama- altho personally I like Huntsman more than Romney...


sounds like the "establishment' is projecting their feelings/wishes.......

It was the same with Palin. the establishment was dreading having someone that would not maintain the crony capitalism that has been part of both parties for many decades.

Vote for Romney, more of the same.....vote for obama again, more of the same.

If you truly want change then you better vote for someone the "establishment" does not promote.
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Alternate headline: “Republicans really, really, really don’t want to nominate Mitt Romney.”

With non-Tea Party Republicans Romney actually leads Cain 29-27.

But with the Tea Party crowd Cain is getting 39% with Gingrich at 16%, Perry at 14%, and Romney in 4th place at 13%

If the race came down to a two way match between Cain and Romney, Cain leads 48-36.

Cain would pick up Bachmann, Gingrich, Perry, and Santorum’s supporters. Romney would get Huntsman and Paul’s. Cain would absolutely crush Perry in a head to head, 55-27.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/10/12/oh-my-cain-30-romney-22-gingrich-15-perry-14/
 

Lonecowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
0
Location
eastern Montana
Hypo why do you think Paul supporters would throw to Romney of all people?

Cain would pick up Bachmann, Gingrich, Perry, and Santorum’s supporters. Romney would get Huntsman and Paul’s.

I personally don't think they are giving Ron Paul enough credit-

through all of the media shut out etc. he is still winning lots of straw polls by large margins. and is picking up lots of contributions- he seems to be backed by a wide variety of people except the media and establishment repubs.

My Paul support would have to go reluctantly towards Cain if it comes to that- Cain's ties to the fed are his biggest downfall for me! Romney is my last choice,not a nickle worth of difference hardly between him and obummer. they are both way too far left, the pendulum won't balance yet.
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
"Hypo why do you think Paul supporters would throw to Romney of all people? "


Probably the more liberal of the independents, due to his vocal support of more traditional liberal views, like the "non- interference' in other countries and the perception that the "rich" are tied to the Fed.

edited to add: Ron Paul is also seen as having involvement with the "911 was an inside job" crowd, which has been typically more liberal/Democratic, due to their hatred of Bush.
 

Steve

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
16,547
Reaction score
0
Location
Wildwood New Jersey
so far I am not a bit surprised by how the primaries are shaping up..

I did not have a lot of confidence in Perry, ... when the media is picking who to hype.. there must be a reason...

I would say that Cain and Ron Paul are doing a good job of shaping the race.. and I believe that was/is their intent..

which leaves Santorum, Gingrich and Bachmann

all good VP choices..but not in line for the president,..

but I honestly do not think the VP will come form the current filed of candidates.. it just doesn't happen that way...

and that is why I feel a few stayed out of the race...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sounds like this fella still hasn't seen the liberalism in the Repub Party that you all seem to try to portray... He must have seen many of the same southerners that I have.....

Cain First, Romney Real Winner in NV Straw Poll


Former pizza CEO Herman Cain gave Mitt Romney a boost on his way to the Republican nomination yesterday. Cain won the semi-meaningless Nevada straw poll with 31% of the vote to Romney's 29%. But the important number was 4, as in the 4% Texas governor Rick Perry got. There is no way on God's green earth that the Republican leadership (think: Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, and Karl Rove) will allow Herman Cain to be the Republican nominee because President Obama would crush him in the general election. But by sucking up all the oxygen that Perry desperately needs, Cain helps eliminate the one serious threat to Romney. With most of the activists now lined up behind Cain (as they once were behind Donald Trump, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, and Chris Christie), Team Romney can just lie low in the weeds and wait for Cain to implode.

The Republicans' problem is that while a substantial fraction of the party activists dislike Romney because he is from the Northeast, made a lot of money on Wall St., and has changed his position on their core issues so many times, you can't beat someone with no one. Cain is simply the current placeholder for "None of the above." But the Republicans can't nominate "None of the the above." They need an actual candidate and in the current mix, the only credible alternative to Romney is Perry, who has demonstrated that he can raise huge amounts of money and win elections. Cain doesn't even have a serious campaign organization but he appears to be able to inflict serious damage to Perry, thus leaving Romney as the last man (or woman) standing.

Why the mainstream media seems to be taking Cain seriously is a bit of a mystery. Maybe it makes a good story. Surely serious reporters all over the country know that Cain is not going to get the nomination. Maybe it is considered impolite to mention that some of the people who hate Obama are racists and would never vote for a black person under any conditions. In a race between Obama and Cain they would stay home or vote for a minor party candidate.
If Cain avoids making any blunders he might survive until Super Tuesday, when a large number of Southern states vote. That will be an interesting day, pitting antiblack bigotry against antiMormon bigotry. It would be a real milestone for a black man to sweep the South, but don't count on it.

http://electoral-vote.com/
 

tumbleweed_texn

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
255
Reaction score
0
Location
Among the sagebrush and greasewood.
Oldtimer said:
Sounds like this fella still hasn't seen the liberalism in the Repub Party that you all seem to try to portray... He must have seen many of the same southerners that I have.....

Cain First, Romney Real Winner in NV Straw Poll


Former pizza CEO Herman Cain gave Mitt Romney a boost on his way to the Republican nomination yesterday. Cain won the semi-meaningless Nevada straw poll with 31% of the vote to Romney's 29%. But the important number was 4, as in the 4% Texas governor Rick Perry got. There is no way on God's green earth that the Republican leadership (think: Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, and Karl Rove) will allow Herman Cain to be the Republican nominee because President Obama would crush him in the general election. But by sucking up all the oxygen that Perry desperately needs, Cain helps eliminate the one serious threat to Romney. With most of the activists now lined up behind Cain (as they once were behind Donald Trump, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, and Chris Christie), Team Romney can just lie low in the weeds and wait for Cain to implode.

The Republicans' problem is that while a substantial fraction of the party activists dislike Romney because he is from the Northeast, made a lot of money on Wall St., and has changed his position on their core issues so many times, you can't beat someone with no one. Cain is simply the current placeholder for "None of the above." But the Republicans can't nominate "None of the the above." They need an actual candidate and in the current mix, the only credible alternative to Romney is Perry, who has demonstrated that he can raise huge amounts of money and win elections. Cain doesn't even have a serious campaign organization but he appears to be able to inflict serious damage to Perry, thus leaving Romney as the last man (or woman) standing.

Why the mainstream media seems to be taking Cain seriously is a bit of a mystery. Maybe it makes a good story. Surely serious reporters all over the country know that Cain is not going to get the nomination. Maybe it is considered impolite to mention that some of the people who hate Obama are racists and would never vote for a black person under any conditions. In a race between Obama and Cain they would stay home or vote for a minor party candidate.
If Cain avoids making any blunders he might survive until Super Tuesday, when a large number of Southern states vote. That will be an interesting day, pitting antiblack bigotry against antiMormon bigotry. It would be a real milestone for a black man to sweep the South, but don't count on it.

http://electoral-vote.com/


I'm surprised that the reporter didnt throw Montana in there too. Everyone in the state either belongs to a PLE or a militia.

Really? Only a hack reporter would come up with a generalization like this not to mention those who would back this nonsense. Last time I checked, racism is not a "Southern Thang". Im pretty sure its everywhere. As a matter of fact, I would bet that there are as many or more people in the north that didnt vote for Obama because he's black than in the south. What really really sucks though is that there were enough idiots everywhere that did vote for him.
 

Lonecowboy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
0
Location
eastern Montana
Kind of interesting oltimer is pretty concerned about race, and claims he is not a racist but that the rest of us are? even after he has made the most racist statement on here ever!

the worst thing I remember that any of us "racists" said about Herman Cain was concern over his involvement with the federal reserve! :?
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Mitt Romney 2008 vs Mitt Romney 2012:
.

State.....­..........­..vote total.....­...vote percentage­..........­.finish

COLORADO:
2008......­..........­...42,218.­..........­..........­60%.......­..........­.1st
2012......­..........­...23,097.­..........­..........­35%.......­..........­.2nd

MINNESOTA:
2008......­..........­...25,990.­..........­..........­41%.......­..........­..1st
2012......­..........­.....7,899­..........­..........­.17%......­..........­...3rd

MISSOURI
2008......­..........­..172,329.­..........­.........2­9%........­..........­.3rd
2012......­..........­....63,826­..........­..........­25%.......­..........­..3rd
.

The more people know Mitt Romney, the less they like him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/rick-santorum-colorado-caucus-results-2012_n_1258740.html
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
OT, why would Rommney make a better President than any of the others? what sets him apart?

I'm not saying he is...But I thought this was quite interesting- that a party who's convention is made up almost entirely of old rich grey haired men in thousand dollar suits and old botox filled women decked out in their designer gowns and diamonds- with few minorities being represented- would nominate a black man for President... :???:


[\quote]

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jingo2-- don't you just love to see people that call themselves socalled "capitalist supporting conservatives"- & followers of the R cult-- now tearing down those same capitalist ideals and condemning capitalist candidates for making money

What a Maroon some of these hypocrit jokesters are.....
Scream bloody murder about how we need a more capitalistic society-- but now condemning someone that got rich because of it....


Plain to see Oldtimer doesn't consider himself to be a conservative that believes in Capitalism :roll:
 

Latest posts

Top