• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MJ...Low-carb still supports beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Low-carb still supports beef



Beef Market Observer Says Low-Carb Consumers Will Continue To Drive Sales

Jimmy Moore

September 6, 2005



Dr. Bill Roe Says Low-Carbers Continue To Drive Cattle Market



Despite all the recent negative news stories regarding the supposed decline and what some believe is the soon-to-be nonexistent low-carb diet trend, Dr. Bill Roe is advising the cattle industry in this story that appeared on CattleNetwork.com to not give up on the low-carb consumers just yet as there has been a resurgence of sorts in those who are following this weight loss and weight maintenance lifestyle.



As an associate professor in the Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics at Ohio State University, Dr. Roe is a keen observer of how consumer demand for U.S. livestock products shifts and changes as a result of various socioeconomic factors. His primary focus is to help the cattle industry maximize its sales potential by educating them with market trends and presenting them with possibilities for future growth.



I am quite sure Dr. Roe would agree with me regarding this touchy news story recently that caused some ripples in the cattle industry as well. Cattle farmers have taken a lot of heat over the years regarding their product and it's good to know they have an advocate in their corner assisting them with monitoring the latest trends that will directly affect their business in Dr. Roe.



In his column entitled "Low-Carb Diet’s Demise May Be Greatly Exaggerated" (which sounds extremely close to the headline I used for this article back in December 2004), Dr. Roe said the low-carb diet revolution which "helped resurrect red meat demand" a few years back has been getting hammered by the media since Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. filed for bankruptcy in early August. He noted seeming conflicting public opinion data that exists which simultaneously shows both a downward and an upward trend regarding the popularity of the low-carb lifestyle.



The NPD group claims that the low-carb popularity peaked at nearly 10 percent of the American public in early 2004 and plummeted to just 2 percent this summer. Much of the media has quoted this particular poll often to lend credence to their claim that low-carb is all but dead.



However, statistics from Opinion Dynamics Corp. which has been watching the low-carb trend since December 2003 and has conducted a monthly poll asking whether people are currently following a low-carbohydrate diet found that an all-time high of 16 percent of Americans answered "yes" to that question in early 2005. Even according to the latest numbers in this survey from August 2005, an astonishing 13 percent of the American people are currently livin' la vida low-carb making it more popular than the #1 show on television!



Dr. Roe said the disparity in the data was in the way the information was gathered. The NPD survey only followed those people who strictly remained on a low-carb diet while the Opinion Dynamics survey polled people who are attempting to follow a low-carb plan.



Regardless of which number is accurate, the fact is that there are millions upon millions upon millions of real people who are STILL turning to low-carb to help them deal with their weight and health problems. It is effective and has helped people change their lives forever. I'm a low-carb success story and proud of it, too. More people need to know the truth about low-carb and not be subjected to the constant lies the media spoon feeds the general public on a daily basis.



In advising the cattle industry about what this means to their business, Dr. Roe said there will still be shifts that occur when people decide to stop doing low-carb for a while and back off on eating beef temporarily. But with the sustained popularity of books like The South Beach Diet still selling VERY well, the benefits of eating meat will not be ignored by these consumers.



Looking at other "dieting fads" that are on the horizon, Dr. Roe contends the 3-Hour Diet should not affect the cattle business, although the author of the book Jorge Cruise (who recently got busted by Julia Havey) pushes his readers to eat a low-fat/portion-controlled diet which would not include eating beef. There are other books out there which Dr. Roe believes could threaten the meat market if they become as popular as low-carb did a couple of years ago.



But low-carb isn't going anywhere anytime soon.



While I know it won't even come close to the sales of the highly-touted low-fat diet books that pervade most of the diet book market nowadays, I am hopeful that my book "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" (set to release in October 2005 and available at this blog) will help open the eyes of skeptics who may have become convinced that nobody has lost a lot of weight and kept it off on a low-carb lifestyle. This story about my 180-pound weight loss success will shoot holes all through that theory and cause people to think for themselves about what the best way for them to tackle their obesity really is.



I know I'm dreaming out loud when I say this, but I am expecting my book to reach at least 10,000 people over the next year. People are wanting someone to share with them the truth about how to get their weight problem under control. It has been a lifelong struggle for them and they feel like nobody really understands their plight. Having been in those shoes before myself, I know exactly how that feels and all you want to know when you are overweight or obese is that somebody else in that same situation was able to overcome it themselves. That's what I believe "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" is going to offer people. It's a book of hope, inspiration, and instruction that will show people that it can and must be done.



As for Dr. Roe's conclusion about the whole low-carb trend, he said cattle farmers should continue to watch and track the eating habits of low-carbers in the coming years. He said that industry leaders should hire a marketing research firm to follow those who say they are livin' la vida low-carb and have periodic reports about the state of the low-carb diet.



Or perhaps he could tell them to check out the "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog, which currently averages about 400-500 pageviews per day from people who are interested in the low-carb lifestyle. As hard as the media has tried, though, it seems they have not dampened interest in low-carb one bit. That's the way it's gonna stay!
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
Let's spend some checkoff dollars showing some before and afters of people that have been successful on low-carb diets. Promote low-carb diets that promote eating beef...is that too simple?????? Sure it is...CBB would have to contract NCBA to do R&D work to make sure a low-carb diet is "sound science" and safe for the public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,609
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
RobertMac, are you going to pick up the losses when some fool who claims the low carb diet ruined his health sues the Beef Checkoff.....or the person who produced the beef he ate????

Most people understand that the cattle/beef industry is best served by "promoting" only what is first scientifically shown to be factual. WHEN the science is there, and BTW that type research is done by Universities, not NCBA's R&D Ranch, the results WILL be promoted.

MRJ
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MRJ said:
RobertMac, are you going to pick up the losses when some fool who claims the low carb diet ruined his health sues the Beef Checkoff.....or the person who produced the beef he ate????

Most people understand that the cattle/beef industry is best served by "promoting" only what is first scientifically shown to be factual. WHEN the science is there, and BTW that type research is done by Universities, not NCBA's R&D Ranch, the results WILL be promoted.

MRJ

So all the BS NCBA has been promoting and spreading about BSE is scientifically shown to be factual :???: Come off it MRJ- they went from "sound science" to " best science available" to " we don't know what we said because we flipflopped 10 times science"- now even USDA and FDA are looking at strengthening the the SRM removal and feed ban laws-- what if 10 years from now the BSE theories promoted by your beloved NCBA are wrong :???: That didn't seem to stop them from promoting them- Couldn't be because thats what the Big Money Packers told them to say? :wink:
 

CattleCo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
543
Reaction score
0
"spend some checkoff dollars showing some before and afters of people that have been successful on low-carb diets. Promote low-carb diets that promote eating beef...is that too simple?????? Sure it is...CBB would have to contract NCBA to do R&D work to make sure a low-carb diet is "sound science" and safe for the public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Low Carb will NEVER be sound science.........So what happens when the lawsuits start when ole Joe dies from eating Hamburger from a cow that raised a calf on ABC Ranch and was sired by a Bull from "your KS Premier Angus Breeder" and was fed at CHD Feedyard????? DO not think it will not happen.....and it is all possible because we have a TRACE BACK SYSTEM, RFID, and all this information in a PUBLIC /PRIVATE DATA WAREHOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: AH, Yes , but the BOARD will be up the next day!!!!!!!!!!
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
MRJ, I produce and sell my beef directly to the public, so my butt is already one the line. If you aren't willing to do the same, get out of the cattle business and, at the very least, get out of any kind of leadership position. Let people willing to promote beef as a healthy food run the CBB and the checkoff. Here's a news flash for you...low-carb diets were the norm up until about 100 or so years ago. Our genes were developed on diets of 60-70% meat. Nature is the final arbiter of what is sound science and Nature has already spoken on this issue.

CattleCo, I stamp the ID of the animal on ever package of meat I sell...if you are scared, get out now!
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
CattleCo, I stamp the ID of the animal on ever package of meat I sell...if you are scared, get out now!
Same Here CattleCo ,The ScoringAg system I use and the locker down the road prints the Barcode and RFID tag number from the SSI database to the scales right to the package too. ...if you are scared, get out now!
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,609
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
RobertMac, are you going to pick up the losses when some fool who claims the low carb diet ruined his health sues the Beef Checkoff.....or the person who produced the beef he ate????

Most people understand that the cattle/beef industry is best served by "promoting" only what is first scientifically shown to be factual. WHEN the science is there, and BTW that type research is done by Universities, not NCBA's R&D Ranch, the results WILL be promoted.

MRJ

So all the BS NCBA has been promoting and spreading about BSE is scientifically shown to be factual :???: Come off it MRJ- they went from "sound science" to " best science available" to " we don't know what we said because we flipflopped 10 times science"- now even USDA and FDA are looking at strengthening the the SRM removal and feed ban laws-- what if 10 years from now the BSE theories promoted by your beloved NCBA are wrong :???: That didn't seem to stop them from promoting them- Couldn't be because thats what the Big Money Packers told them to say? :wink:

OT, you have such a rich fantasy life! Just too bad you use it to promote hatred for an organization you know so little about.

Obviously, NCBA, USDA, and the world scientific community ALL operate from the "sound science" AND "best science available" regarding BSE. Science is ever changing as new, hopefully well researched and vetted theories emerge. What is so hard to understand about that? Oh, that's right, conspiracies are so much easier for you to use in your attempts to discredit NCBA. Did you get your "sleuthing" abilities you used as a law officer as well as to attempt to frame NCBA for your perceived crimes commited, by watching the old Dukes of Hazard show? That is they type of "law" officer you remind me of with your posts here. God help the poeple you were serving in any capacity if your posts here are indicative of your "law" work!

MRJ
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
RobertMac, are you going to pick up the losses when some fool who claims the low carb diet ruined his health sues the Beef Checkoff.....or the person who produced the beef he ate????

Most people understand that the cattle/beef industry is best served by "promoting" only what is first scientifically shown to be factual. WHEN the science is there, and BTW that type research is done by Universities, not NCBA's R&D Ranch, the results WILL be promoted.

MRJ

So all the BS NCBA has been promoting and spreading about BSE is scientifically shown to be factual :???: Come off it MRJ- they went from "sound science" to " best science available" to " we don't know what we said because we flipflopped 10 times science"- now even USDA and FDA are looking at strengthening the the SRM removal and feed ban laws-- what if 10 years from now the BSE theories promoted by your beloved NCBA are wrong :???: That didn't seem to stop them from promoting them- Couldn't be because thats what the Big Money Packers told them to say? :wink:

OT, you have such a rich fantasy life! Just too bad you use it to promote hatred for an organization you know so little about.

Obviously, NCBA, USDA, and the world scientific community ALL operate from the "sound science" AND "best science available" regarding BSE. Science is ever changing as new, hopefully well researched and vetted theories emerge. What is so hard to understand about that? Oh, that's right, conspiracies are so much easier for you to use in your attempts to discredit NCBA. Did you get your "sleuthing" abilities you used as a law officer as well as to attempt to frame NCBA for your perceived crimes commited, by watching the old Dukes of Hazard show? That is they type of "law" officer you remind me of with your posts here. God help the poeple you were serving in any capacity if your posts here are indicative of your "law" work!

MRJ

MRJ - You taking lessons from SH--You never did touch on the subject we were discussing- the old NCBA blame everybody game- an excuse for everything....

So you believe supporting and backing ever changing "theories" on BSE is correct but that we shouldn't support "theories" on the Atkins or low carb diets :???: .....Is that correct?
 

Latest posts

Top