• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Monday A Bad Day For Yellowstone Visitors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
(Wyo.)-Monday A Bad Day For Yellowstone Visitors

By: Chris Fankhauser Posted at: 07/31/2012 05:00 PM

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - One man is dead and a 10-year-old boy injured after they were thrown from their horses during a guided trail ride in Yellowstone National Park.

Park officials say some birds spooked the horses in the Tower Junction area Monday afternoon.

Yellowstone officials identified the man killed as 56-year-old Carl Dullmaier, of Gernsheim, Germany. They say Dullmaier had a head injury and he died after he was flown to a Billings, Mont., hospital.

The unidentified boy was taken to a Mammoth Hot Springs clinic with minor injuries.

Also Monday, a bull bison threw a 65-year-old man from Thailand into the air at Mammoth Hot Springs. Meanwhile, a thermal feature near Old Faithful burned a 37-year-old man from Provo, Utah.

Both men were taken to hospitals. Park officials didn't release their names.

I never realized just how dangerous some of the National Parks are until I read a book you mentioned awhile back, Ranger Confidential. Many of the injuries and deaths were due to people lacking common sense, but sometimes the human species can't outwit mother nature.

No longer will I think of Rangers just as nature buffs in goofy hats. :wink:

Zilly said:
I never realized just how dangerous some of the National Parks are until I read a book you mentioned awhile back, Ranger Confidential. Many of the injuries and deaths were due to people lacking common sense, but sometimes the human species can't outwit mother nature.

No longer will I think of Rangers just as nature buffs in goofy hats. :wink:

I surely enjoyed the book RANGER CONFIDENTIAL, and have a whole new respect for the malarky that rangers have to put up with in trying to keep things running smoothly in the parks. Mostly everyone's problems stem from not using common sense. Common sense just isn't all that common anymore. :? This problem exists all the way from top management to the general public, in all walks of life. :roll:

Could it be from the apparently intentional 'dumbing down of America' in too many things, from education systems to news media to entertainment media?

Or does the fact that we no longer have to use our wits/brain simply to survive play a part? Everyone seems to realize 'Uncle Sam' will take care of us if we fail to do so ourselves.

mrj

I knew a park ranger in YNP and the stories he told me would have just turned your hair white over the stupid things people do there. It is unreal!

What was that one said? "When people go on vaction they leave their brains at home."

Possibly the Liberal, environmentalist minded media portraying all the gentle fuzzy animals in the wild?

Ya can't fix stupid.

Too bad for the folks in the horse wreck. Something like that could happen to any of us.

Sorry to hear of the accidents, but I too saw some stupid people there when we spent 2 days in Yellowstone this past June..driving idiots was one..and people getting out of their cars and walking close to the buffalo just to get a picture..also one guy climbing on wet rocks at a waterfall a camera in hand..not to bright in my book...

Latest posts