• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

moose calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

peacecountry

Reaction score
This is a crazy story of survival that you may not belive but itis true. One year i rented a little chunk of pasture that was next to mine. Turned pairs out and was busy haying . They only stayed about 2 weeks, moved the cows again on to mine and went back haying.

About 5 days later the neighbour came over and said there was a cow moose, an angus calf and a moose calf runing around. Took my old apaloosa pony and had a look I didnt expect any thing good because if there was a calf it had been away from her mom for 5 or 6 days in the hot summer.

I rode around for awhile and saw the calf flat out, i thought it was dead . Suddenly the calf jumped up, the cow and calf moose jumped up and gone.
I had a heck of a time geting a rope on the calf as the pasture was swamp willows and trees.

I took the calf back, who was anythig but dehidrated. Found a cow with a big bag who was looking for a calf everything turned great . We kept the hfr for a few years called her moose cow but she was wild. I finally had to let her go just like a moose.

Anyone else have crazy story that only you and maybe your wife belives.

Moral of the story?

NEVER. DRINK. MOOSE. MILK!!!!!! :lol:

But as far as the story goes, stranger things have happened! Pretty cool.

I had a strange deal happen few years ago. In Michigan we have alot of private hunt clubs that cater to city folks with a few $ that want to buy a trophy kill, deer, elk, boars,etc. So a cottage industry, of raise wild pigs for these clubs, sprung up. Everyone was going to make big money supplying hogs to these clubs. I have a neighbor who did do a good job with it, ex-dairy guy sold 80-100 to hunt clubs, had good solid fence a kick butt elec fencer etc. He raised them in a 20 acre swamp area. He had a nephew about 2 miles from us and he decide he was going to start. His fences were not good they got out, he got them back in once then they busted out again.

We had 8-10 sows at the time, and the sheriff pays us a visit and asks if all are pigs are still in. I checked and everything was still as it should be, he said a farmer 3 miles away had about 10 acres of corn tore up by pigs, I told him about the nephew with pigs. Ended up the hogs got out, he shot all but 3 and just let the rest of them go.

We had a pen of bulls that I was feeding in the am at the time, I think 3. Every morning before dawn, I'd go in and put some grain in the bunk, get them up from around the hay ring, usually give em a push or poke to get em moving. One am I went in heard something scurrying off didn't know what it was. Next am I take a light, its a boar laying with the bulls, about 180-200# russian boar, it would get up and leave just before my normal feed time.
A couple weeks later I go to feed about 30 mins earlier then normal go thru the normal routine, its pitch black can't see a thing, go kick em to get em up, first one then another second one was the boar, that thing shot out about 15-20 feet stopped made some noise then took off. I had to go change my underwear after that.

We ended up shooting him a few weeks latter, on his way in the sow barn.

I have a friend used to run 5-600 salerx cows-threy were gathering when the neighbors hogs came whoofing out of thre corral-there was abit of a hog killing that day!!!

Latest posts