• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More advice needed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I'd like anyone who is involved at the local and county level of cattle associations in your area to expound on what works, what motivates and other ideas to increase participation in the association. The new county president out this way is feeling very overwhelmed and under qualified at leading the association and would really appreciate any advice or ideas to help our association grow. I am sure some of ya'll have been involved up to your eyebrows and have lots of suggestions i could pass along to the poor dumb bugger that got voted in last night at our banquet. Just so everyone offically knows, we have reached the very bottom of the barrel! :help: Thanks!

leanin' H said:
I'd like anyone who is involved at the local and county level of cattle associations in your area to expound on what works, what motivates and other ideas to increase participation in the association. The new county president out this way is feeling very overwhelmed and under qualified at leading the association and would really appreciate any advice or ideas to help our association grow. I am sure some of ya'll have been involved up to your eyebrows and have lots of suggestions i could pass along to the poor dumb bugger that got voted in last night at our banquet. Just so everyone offically knows, we have reached the very bottom of the barrel! :help: Thanks!

I take it that be YOU, H? :D
Congratulations!

Congratulations,,,,,,, I think! :lol:

I'll tell you what doesn't work in my opinionated opinion.

Associations that bow to every newly introduced govt. legislation or rule with no regard to their membership's desires.
Too many Association reps, or as I call a lot of them, Photogenic P#%@!s seem to think that a beaurocrat is their friend when all they are acchieving is more cost and red tape for the folks that voted them in.

Stand up for what you believe in, convince your executive to do the same. We'll still be here after the beaurocrats have lost their jobs and are hiring out to pick rocks or weed gardens. :wink:

We're pullin' for ya H. Sic 'em! :D

gcreekrch said:
Congratulations,,,,,,, I think! :lol:

I'll tell you what doesn't work in my opinionated opinion.

Associations that bow to every newly introduced govt. legislation or rule with no regard to their membership's desires.
Too many Association reps, or as I call a lot of them, Photogenic P#%@!s seem to think that a beaurocrat is their friend when all they are acchieving is more cost and red tape for the folks that voted them in.

Stand up for what you believe in, convince your executive to do the same. We'll still be here after the beaurocrats have lost their jobs and are hiring out to pick rocks or weed gardens. :wink:

We're pullin' for ya H. Sic 'em! :D
Hear, hear. :agree:

Hats off to you for stepping up to the plate. :tiphat:

congratulations H, i know you will try to do your best, perhaps Per can lend you some insight as to what goes on at the Western Stock Grower's Assoc. up here.

ooops....... I type to slow... sorry Per

I can tell you that great leaders are born not made.

A great leader has people who want to help just because he is the leader. He surrounds himself with good people and lets them do what they are best at. A great leader delegates work and it gets done without him having to keep proding. People follow true leaders not someone who thinks they are the best, smartest etc. True leadership is hard to find but the truth is a good leader can make an organization work even if they have only a passing knowledge of the subject(as long as they know that) providing they surround themselves with great people who are willing to accomplish a task.

Congrats and hope your organization explodes in enthusiasm.

I recommend following though with all the promises you made while you were making your numerous campaign speeches. :D

It reallly depends on the type of group you have. Is it mostly social or do they want to take on some of the issues that are affecting the beef industry. For example the pink slime issue was so misrepesented by the media, there was plenty of opportunity for anyone to help set the issue striait. Or you could focus on educating your own membership about the beef industry. Tours, educational speakers, or anything that gives people a reason to participate are a good thing. If your orginization appears to be doing something your membership will grow.

Congratulations.

Brian

There is a real good reason I try to come up with a good excuse to miss the AGM whenever I can! :lol:
Congrats on the post H, and just remember, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance you can always baffle them with bullsh!t!! :lol:

Congratulations on your new leadership position, Leanin' H. The electorate knew what they were doing when they picked you, and you will do a fine job. Just keep in mind your good conservative common sense upbringing, and the positive free-enterprise attitude which made this country great. Good luck, and go for the gusto. :)

Just take a couple of your goats to your first meeting and you won't have to worry about promoting membership any longer, someone else will. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel, a goat herder for a president of the local cattleman's group. I think I might see the problem with membership. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Silver said:
There is a real good reason I try to come up with a good excuse to miss the AGM whenever I can! :lol:
Congrats on the post H, and just remember, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance you can always baffle them with bullsh!t!! :lol:

Wonderful information that would of been totally helpful YESTERDAY!!!

As to the other part of your "advice", Silver you know me pretty well! :lol:

rancherfred said:
Just take a couple of your goats to your first meeting and you won't have to worry about promoting membership any longer, someone else will. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel, a goat herder for a president of the local cattleman's group. I think I might see the problem with membership. :lol: :lol: :wink:

:mad: :evil: :mad: Rancherfred, you are one funny sucker! I hope someday we meet so i can "Thank You" personally for the giggling fit you caused to send my sweet wife into! :x :shock: :lol: Oh, how i want to thank you! :wink: :D Note to self: when asking for advice in the future, do not ask folks who are part time comedians with too much time on their hands! Also, look into mixed martial arts training. :lol: :lol: :lol: If i thought i could get out of this fix by telling folks i ONCE OWNED (Past Tense) 2 goats because my sweet daughter wanted them, i would buy a billboard and shout it from the rooftops. Sadly, they've lowered their standards and would merely giggle hysterically like someone else i know! :roll: :wink:

You'll do fine. When I was Pres in our affiliate, I tried to keep educated on pending legislation, then inform the membership and suggest ways they could influence the lawmakers. Like Gcreek says, our mission is to influence and educate the legislators, not vice-versa. I also asked the membership why they joined, and what they expected of their leadership. The child labor law is an example of why we exist. We have slowed that runaway train down enough to get some people looking at it. One fella in our group voiced his reason for belonging quite well. He said he wanted to meet with lawmakers in Denver and Washington before they met with him on his back yard. Just communicate in the best interest of the industry. I did not feel I did very well as Pres, but this is one thing I felt was in the right direction. Also I want to thank you for stepping up. You'll get lots of extra work, criticism, and worry, all for free! It's people like you that make it happen! Again THANKS!!

leanin' H said:
rancherfred said:

:mad: :evil: :mad: Rancherfred, you are one funny sucker! I hope someday we meet so i can "Thank You" personally for the giggling fit you caused to send my sweet wife into! :x :shock: :lol: Oh, how i want to thank you! :wink: :D Note to self: when asking for advice in the future, do not ask folks who are part time comedians with too much time on their hands! Also, look into mixed martial arts training. :lol: :lol: :lol: If i thought i could get out of this fix by telling folks i ONCE OWNED (Past Tense) 2 goats because my sweet daughter wanted them, i would buy a billboard and shout it from the rooftops. Sadly, they've lowered their standards and would merely giggle hysterically like someone else i know! :roll: :wink:

10,000 comedians out of work and you have to put up with us. :lol: :lol:

Good on ya for tacklin' the job, :D somebody said about surrounding your self with good people. When I was first elected to the SSGA we had just changed from a president that did everything himself to one that looked for peoples strengths and put them in jobs that he felt they would be good at.
It sure seemed to work, we had a board that carried the load and became a strong board. I know some didn't feel he was our best Pres but I think he changed the dynamic of the board for the better.
Good luck :D

Congratulations H, you will be perfect for the job. You seem to have a positive outlook on most things and that is something that most of us could use a little more of. I'm sure you will succeed if you stick to your principles.

Congratulations! That issue of ranch kids and trying to keep them from learning how to work (isn't it obvious?) and maybe it's to level the playing field for kids who don't have the opportunity of farm/ranch kids, is far from over, imo.

All our organizations would do well to find an informed speaker to help their group get better informed and armed to keep any changes within reason and to re-inforce FAMILY control and responsibility for the family, whether it be grandparents, in-laws, or other family members. Doesn't the attempt to prevent anyone other than a parent to pay a kid seem like an excuse more than a valid reason or means to keep kids safer???

Any other burning issues of your local members would seem like a logical 'excuse' for a speaker (or 'expert' if he/she is 50 miles or more from home when at your meeting!) and a supper meeting with time to enjoy one anothers' company after the work of the meeting ends!

mrj

jodywy said:
H you know from county you move up to a state commette chair then to a 2nd VP.... :D :D :D

Negatorry there Ghostrider! After this gig is up only two things are possible.
#1- I am forced to leave the county in the dark of night leading a string of pack goats to carry my earthly possesions, while groups of armed cattlemen search the desert in hopes of giving me a neck-tie party. :shock:

#2- I settle happily into retirement/reclusion from any type of public interaction. That will be very helpful as the wanted posters and manhunt looking for the killer of Rancherfred will make it difficult for me to visit anyone but Gcreek. And Big Muddy. And Haymaker. And Justin. And Faster Horses. And You. But absolutely nowhere people might be! :D SHHHHHHH! :wink:

Because of your well documented antipathy for goats, or is that affinity...I flunked vocabulary, either way I think I am safe as I reside in the midst of a rather large bunch of goats. I just don't own them. Speed goats count right? That is enough to keep me safe isn't it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts