• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More good stem cell news

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Encourage your representative to pass stem cell legislation today. My emphasis; link below.

"Genetically engineered stem cells can help rats' severed spinal cords grow back together, according to a study published Tuesday.

Rats given the treatment, using stem cells taken from rat embryos, could move their legs again after their spines were severed in the lab, said the researchers' report in the Journal of Neuroscience.

The scientists hope the approach, which generated a new fatty cover for the spinal cord cells called the myelin sheath, also could be shown to work in people."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8717240/

Several related stories at the link as well. What I did notice was that enbryonic stem cells were not necessarily specified, and that there is great potential with the other type of stem cells as well, without the controversy.

You did see Bill Frisk break with Bush today on stem cell research? But he is a right to lifer. :lol: My, my, he must be stressed, wondering how he'll explain this to the right wingers, without upsetting the real conservative branch of the Republican party. Almost makes me feel sorry for him.

Cal said:
Several related stories at the link as well. What I did notice was that enbryonic stem cells were not necessarily specified, and that there is great potential with the other type of stem cells as well, without the controversy.
There doesn't need to be any controversy with embryonic stem cell research. What is controversial about using embryos for research instead of flushing them down the drain? All the people that are so upset about this should get down to these fertility clinics and adopt all of the surplus embryos. It is just another wedge issue that the right-to-life mafia is trying to get people all riled up about.

SDSteve said:
Cal said:
There doesn't need to be any controversy with embryonic stem cell research. What is controversial about using embryos for research instead of flushing them down the drain? All the people that are so upset about this should get down to these fertility clinics and adopt all of the surplus embryos. It is just another wedge issue that the right-to-life mafia is trying to get people all riled up about.

Actually, many of these embryos are "adopted" and transplanted. I feel sorry for some of you who have no trouble with killing anything without a birth certificate.

Cal said:
SDSteve said:
Cal said:

Actually, many of these embryos are "adopted" and transplanted. I feel sorry for some of you who have no trouble with killing anything without a birth certificate.
Actually the "many" is a couple hundred embryos. There are that many embryos dumped down the drain every week. I feel sorry for you people that won't listen to facts just repeat whatever junk cult leaders like Dobson spew.

Cal said:
SDSteve said:
Cal said:

Tell us how many are adopted, Cal? And how many live, breathing kids are there in your state that need parents? Why in the world you guys will spend so much time, money and effort into trying to save a few cells that might, possibly become a human being if a woman should choose to have them implanted in her body, while living, breathing children are living in poverty, foster homes or on the street, doing without proper medical care, is beyond me. I'll take my set of moral vaules about yours any day of the week.

Disagreeable said:
Tell us how many are adopted, Cal? And how many live, breathing kids are there in your state that need parents? Why in the world you guys will spend so much time, money and effort into trying to save a few cells that might, possibly become a human being if a woman should choose to have them implanted in her body, while living, breathing children are living in poverty, foster homes or on the street, doing without proper medical care, is beyond me. I'll take my set of moral vaules about yours any day of the week.

It's beyond me as well, when there are so many children who need good homes, why someone would choose not to adopt in the first place. But then all of those embryos wouldn't be created and destroyed, and what's the fun in that?

Latest posts