• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

more pic's "a horse this time"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jerry H

Reaction score
Fotos_USA_Jerry_Howard_082.JPG

two tone

Fotos_USA_Jerry_Howard_081.JPG

Fotos_USA_Jerry_Howard_079.JPG

well give us some info....how old? breed(i'm guessin QH), for sale? Just wondering why the shoes? does the horse get used that much? or is there another reason? I always wonder why people use shoes on horses....I have only had one horse that ever truly needed them. Others have gotten them just because they where getting used and wore em down faster than they could grow em.

hi chicks
he is a reg 4 year old qh
he is for saale as is everything that i ride that belongs to me
he is awsome can realy run and when i pull my slack the first thing that hits the ground on a 500#steer is the back of his head "he can realy stop"
he will get down and do the cow boogie shuffle and is real nice to handle
the shoes are more for traction than anything and yes he does get ridden as much as any of my horses about every third day
until later
jerry

thanks soapweed
he is a nice horse
but in todays market i don't forsee me selling many horses like i did in past years as i still ask what they are worth to me and if folks don't want them i'll keep usin em till sombody likes them enough to give what i want
the box car now that's another story
i was not here but they told me there was a long shed row where the boxcar is now and the box car was about 150 yards west of where it is and a tornado came thru and leveled the shed row and the corrals
it put the boxcar right where it is so they just jacked it up and put blocks under it and built new corrals aroud it
until later
jerry

Really nice horse Jerry :) Looks like you've mastered the picture posting.

About the boxcar...it wasn't two Texans by the names of Haymaker and Elmo that told you that story was it :wink: :lol:

thanks mrs greg
he is a nice young horse and will be great when he get older if i don't get him hurt before then
and about the tornado it was not those two jokers that told me that i most likly would not have beleved them it was my boss that has been here for years and the nails from the old corrals and shed row tell me it was there as i have a flat tire on one of our trucks almost everyday from the nails working up out of the ground
until later

jerry

Jerry H;

Thats nice colt, looks like you have done a great job on him as well. Do you braid your own rawhide? I see that one rope you are using has a rawhide honda. How do you like it compared to the rope with the plastic burner?

rross
you pay close attention to detail i see
i don't braid much and i have not tried to braid any hondas i can buy them cheaper than i can take time away from work to do that kind of work
as for whitch one i like better it depends on what horse i'm ridin and what i'm doing
if i'm ridin a real young horse i'll use the long rope and when i rope one i'll dalley and let it slide aon a slisk horn so as not to let the colt take a jerk
now if i'm ridin a horse that is a little older i'll tie on doctoring yearlings with a shorter rope as it is easier on me and i can get the job done faster and get on to the next one as when i'm busy i'll doctor 30 to 50 head a day and it takes all day as i'll go thru alot of cattle to find them
well i geussi better get off of here and go to church the wife is loading the kids and waiting for me
until later
jerry

RRoss said:
Jerry H;

Thats nice colt, looks like you have done a great job on him as well. Do you braid your own rawhide? I see that one rope you are using has a rawhide honda. How do you like it compared to the rope with the plastic burner?

What picture has the rawhide honda in. I can't see it just two with a tied honda. :???:

thanks jf ranch
i'll take that as a major compliment coming from you as i have your taste in horses and by the way congratulations on your black mare doing well at the world show she looks like a nice mare in the pi'cs you put on here of her
as for two tone
the only name brand on his papers is he's a great grandson of docolena on the top and his dam is a ranch bred mare that goes back to poco bueno way back there
until later
jerry

bmr
the pic with the rawhide honda on is in the pic's of my lttle girls horse ithink it's under my little girl and her pets
those pic's were taken in colorado a couple of years ago on a cow calf outfit i worked on
up there i never hand to hurry like i do here so i always packed a long rope and dallied on slick horn
whitch is what i prefer but i have had to go back to tied hard and fast here as i have get it done and get to the next patient her on this ranch
until later
jerry

Back in the '80's, a good friend made a lot of nice rawhide cowboy gear. I bought a rawhide hondo and put it on a nylon lariat. For function, it was a bit "too fast" to really suit me. The slickness of the rawhide made it easier for a calf to kick loose after you had it caught, than did a regular tied nylon hondo. Anyway, the rawhide hondo looked so "cool" and "cow punchy" that I put up with the fact it wasn't as user friendly as a plain jane regular one. I packed that rope for a couple years.

One spring morning, we had trailed a couple hundred yearling heifers about a dozen miles back to our ranch from where they had spent the winter on a neighboring ranch. We had the heifers in the pasture where they were to be left, and all we had to do was ride home a couple miles to have dinner. I got off to open a gate, and I was getting back on, the young horse I was riding suddenly pitched a fit. He blew up and went to bucking. As I wasn't quite back in the sadde properly, he had the advantage and dumped me in the dirt. He headed for home, running and bucking, with my slicker tied on behind the saddle flapping in the fray.

My hired hand and another friend that was helping took off in wild pursuit of my ride home. They captured the runaway and brought him back to me. My rope was missing as the rope strap had broke in the melee. I mounted up, a bit more carefully this time. The horse pitched another fit, but I was readier for him and rode out the storm. On our ride home, we spread out and diligently looked for the missing lariat. We had no luck finding it on this fine May morning.

Fast forward to October. In rounding up this pasture the next fall, my eyes were glued to the ground, as they had been every time I went through the pasture all summer long. Looking in the right place at the right time, I managed to find the still coiled lariat. It was perfectly intact except that the rawhide hondo was missing. Pack rats had eaten through the rosebud knot on the nylon part of the rope, so that they could abscond with the rawhide hondo. Had it just been a regular old nylon lariat with a nylon tied hondo, it would have survived unscathed.

As I really didn't care for the performance of the rawhide hondo, this was the first, last, and only one of those that I ever had.

I have a couple of different styles of rawhide hondas, one has a longer neck and is a little larger. Makes it pretty difficult when branding calves, works better on bigger cattle. I've got one that looks sort of like the one Jerry has tied, on, but a bit smaller. Works alot better for calves.

Big Muddy rancher said:
RRoss said:
Jerry H;

What picture has the rawhide honda in. I can't see it just two with a tied honda. :???:

All I see is a tied honda with what MIGHT BE a "rawhide burner" :!:

soapweed
i can't imagine packing the same rope for a couple of years
when i worked on cow calf outfits i'd burn one up in month or so and now that i'm back to doctoring yearlings all the time i go thu one about evry ten days in the fall and one a month this time of the year and one every two months in the summer time
as for the rawhide honda being fast that's why i use them as in the branding i like to play not to say that i'm a master of the art but i like to throw alot of hip shots from long distances and the fast honda helps to gather up the slack from a 12 or 14 foot loop and the hondas that turn don't roll like a tied honda does and they add some weight to the spoke of your loop for throwing fancy shots
however for roping tied hard i don't recomend them as they will not take that jerk very well for long "don't ask it was an ugly wreck" that i don't care to rehash as it was totally my fault
until later
jerry

rross
is the w,wy for western wyoming?
if so where?
i worked up there some
and could be weve seen some of the same country and folks
until later
jerry

Jerry H said:
thanks jf ranch
i'll take that as a major compliment coming from you as i have your taste in horses and by the way congratulations on your black mare doing well at the world show she looks like a nice mare in the pi'cs you put on here of her
as for two tone
the only name brand on his papers is he's a great grandson of docolena on the top and his dam is a ranch bred mare that goes back to poco bueno way back there
until later
jerry

Jerry,

I haven't been on here much lately. Sorry for such a slow reply. That's some pretty fancy blood which is nice, but it doesn't matter much as neat as he looks. I wish I could send you a few colts to ride. I have too many and it looks like you could really get them going nice.

Thanks for the remarks about our black mare. I've ridden her a few times since the Show, buty mostly she's just been eating my very precious hay! We've been planning to get her bred this spring and have found a few interesting stud prospects. However, this new Perfomance Horse Halter Class has gotten our attention. It would be nice to earn some halter points with her first, but we haven't made any decisions yet. At 11 years, we need to start getting colts on the ground.

John

Latest posts