• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sic 'em reds

Reaction score
Since I figured out how to put photos up, I thought I would share some more.

First two are of part of the cows with a nice snowy background.
Herd_2.jpg

Herd_1.jpg

This a 2004 model cow. She's a Alliance 6595 x Emulation 5522. She's bred to Morgan's Direction.
FCR_4198.jpg

This is my favorite bred heifer. She's out of Traveler 004 by a Dividend 963 x Fullback cow. She's bred to Lead On. Yes I know he has 963 in him, but it's far enough back that I am not concerned.
51R_3.jpg

This is my 2nd favorite bred heifer. She's out of a black baldy cow though! Her Polled Hereford sire was a grandson of Braxton Giant. Her mother is sired by a son of Wrangler 19D (polled hereford) x a Sedgwick's Rebar Angus cow. She's bred to Ironwood New Level.
532R.jpg

And finally, besides my wife and her uncle, these two are the best help I can find at the drop of a hat. Butch is on the left and Missy on the right.
Cheap_Labor_2.jpg

Hope you enjoy these!

Nice scenery,nice cattle{even if mostly blacks} But your dogs,them I really like,the breed would be??

Shortgrass,sometimes really reminds me of Soapweed and his little quips

That made me laugh Shortgrass.

Mrs. Greg, they are Border Collies. Yeah were pretty heavy on the blacks and baldy's. W do have 5 red (one Red Angus cow, and same dang Limo's the wife's uncle picked up a couple weeks ago), 1 Charolais, I traditional r&w Simmental looking cow, and my 1/4 Angus Polled Hereford lookin heifer. Down at my dad's place we have quite a few Herefords left though.

I thought they were Border Collies but I've never seen a red border collie before...they must be from Scotland :lol: :lol: Our border collie was Tri-coloured.Oh and he WAS from Scotland.

Sympathy to you on the limo in your herd :(

:lol: :lol:

Mrs.Greg said:
I thought they were Border Collies but I've never seen a red border collie before...they must be from Scotland :lol: :lol: Our border collie was Tri-coloured.Oh and he WAS from Scotland.

Mrs.Greg-- What a longtime Border Collie breeder told me is that the red ones have been around for a long time-- but for years it was considered a defect, so the major breeders killed all red pups as soon as they were born...Then with the breeding of the breed for California folks and those speed trials and all, the reds began to come into demand.....
He told me the red gene was just a recessive gene- something like the red that shows up in some black angus or in holstein cows...

With my current pair of border collies I usually get 6 pups a litter- with usually one red and white...This last litter she had 5 pups- 2 were red and white...Out of about 12 litters she has had one tri-colored....

When we had Border pups they were always black and white,never a red or even a Tri-colour. I wonder do you get more for a certain colour??

Mrs.Greg said:
When we had Border pups they were always black and white,never a red or even a Tri-colour. I wonder do you get more for a certain colour??

I don't- but some folks specify whether they want a red or a black-- I've had a waiting list for these last 2 reds....One went to a local fella that already has an older one thats working really good for him- the other went to a fella in Miles City that I'd done some inspections for and he saw the dogs...

My male is medium haired and the female short haired-- so usually I get a couple of short hairs each litter- which some prefer... My old female (14 years old) is one of the long haired tri colors- but she's just around enjoying retirement.....

When I was shopping Reds were going for more... I didn''t buy one but talked to a Kelpie breeder who trialed against them and said some would really bleach out when they got older (red BC's that is) into a more liver like color... None of my concern as I went the Ausie route instead..

That's right Northern. I do like the red color of them, but they're no different from a B&W. The red is a recessive gene. My males mother was red and the male was black. My females mother was black and the male was red. Had a couple litters out of these two and they have all been red and white out of 11 pups.

I was talking to a guy yesterday that says he thinks these red dogs over heat faster than a black and white dog. I've had these guys hot, but not enough to seize up. Interesting either way I thought.

P.S. Mrs. G, those limos are not my problem!! I made that clear to the in-law when he unloaded them!!

I'd sure take one who looked like the one with the half white face. I like them short, straight up and down foreheaded dogs with them pricked up ears. Reminds me of the best one I've ever had. He was a grandson of Driedens Joe and looked just like his grandfather. Smart, and pretty much just knew what to do, but hardheaded enough that when he was wrong, it was like pulling teeth to change his mind. :lol:

And I don't care what color they are, but red is such a nice color. :wink:

I also like the looks of your stock. They have some depth of body to them, which is what I like. Narrow gutted cattle don't do as well as a rule.

What do you winter your cattle on?

We generally winter on timothy fields. My wife's uncle is a large hay farmer, so it is a real good situation. He'll pick one or two circles and grow them out after 2nd cutting. This year we have all the calves out on an alfalfa field.

He also has alot of hay that he has to get rid of since exports won't take it. So we are able to feed when it gets cold or nasty. But most of the time they can graze all winter.

We wintered on corn stalks from Nov to February, but didn't really care for that. I think the problem was that they were sweet corn stalks and had sat a few months before we got to them. They also got real soggy after any moisture.

Really like your black cow, and the Hereford heifer, and the dogs. The heifer you call your favorite, I like her except for her hip set. Just from past experience, I'd say she's too square from hook to pin. I've had calving troubles in past years when heifers didn't have any pelvic slope. They look purdy though, when they go to the auction without a calf. :p I could be wrong about yours of course, just giving my 2cents worth.

I understand purecountry. She's pretty straight and I think the way she's got her belly hangin, it makes it look real bad! I agree with some slope in the hip. But, we've had others that are pretty straight and done fine. Never know for sure until they calve!

Like the looks of that dog box. Did you make it yourself? I bought a aluminum one from a lady who was moving away that is made similar. It is made to fit up front inside bed of full size pickup and can still pull gooseneck trailer behind it. I put it on back of my flat bed dually. It is a three hole but on flatbed is room for another whole if I was to have one custom made.

Yeah I made this box due to the headache rack on this flatbed. There are 3 holes and they are plenty big for the dogs. I also have a toolbox/dog box by DeeZee that fits over the bedrails. If nothing else it keeps them safe, and warm in the winter going down the road.

Latest posts