• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mountain lion run over by fire truck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
This story was on our local radio news this morning. Mountain lions are showing up everywhere in our fair state. Another local girl almost hit one with her car a week or so after the one I posted pictures of that Harding County's art and music teacher killed.

Sturgis fire chief strikes, kills mountain lion cub

STURGIS, S.D. - Sturgis fire crews responded to a skid loader fire last night, but that wasn't the exciting part for Sturgis Fire Chief Ron Koan.

Koan says on their way to the fire, he struck a young mountain lion attempting to cross Highway 34 in the "S" curves between Lions Club Park and Fort Meade.

After hitting the approximately 60-pound cub, Koan contacted Game, Fish and Park officials, who came to retrieve it.

http://kbhbradio.com/news.html

Geez Liberty I hit a gopher last week and they hardly mentioned it on the six o'clock news lol. I've been on that particukar stretch of road but never saw the big kitty.

Northern Rancher said:
Geez Liberty I hit a gopher last week and they hardly mentioned it on the six o'clock news lol. I've been on that particukar stretch of road but never saw the big kitty.

I have never been on the news and in a 9 month stretch (here about 3 years ago), I hit 4 deer, a dog, a cat, a porcupine and a few gophers myself!! How unfair!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
Tell the truth ,ya swerved to hit the gopher

greg, who wouldn't? lol.

I ran over a gopher with the lawnmower-the blades were on. lol. All I heard was a thunk, thunk, and waput-he came out of the mower and all over the road was a bloody mess. lol. I was going to take a pic of it with the camera but Dad wouldnt let me. lol.

Our county operator came to my house breathless to tell me he had almost run over a mountain lion with the grader. That is the way he grades our roads, doing 50 mph with the blade up. :?

Maybe they'll have full tummy's by the time I get to SD this summer.......geeeezzzzzzz a bit too close for comfort!!!!

Kate/wy said:
Our county operator came to my house breathless to tell me he had almost run over a mountain lion with the grader. That is the way he grades our roads, doing 50 mph with the blade up. :?

I think they teach all county employees that way :roll: :lol:

greg said:
Northern Rancher said:
Tell the truth ,ya swerved to hit the gopher

isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to do??? :shock: :shock: :???: :wink: :wink:

passin thru said:
isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to do???

I love it...........I love it. I guess I'm not the only one, especially prairie dogs :lol: :lol:

the two little ones laugh heartily when mom here dodges and dives for the gophers, but has to do the duck and dodge from those darned old BIG white rabbits we have out here!! Too danged stupid to realize that the big bright lights coming toward you are something to run from...NOT TOWARD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

katrina said:
Last week a kid was riding his bike in Rosebud and was attacked by a lion. NO joke.. Ripped his shirt.. They tracked him for aways but lost him.
Now that is way to scary. You'd think there would be enough wild animals around for his supper. How close to town was that?

In Michigan we saw a bobcat on my sister's wetlands dock quite near the house. He was just sitting looking out over the water like any ol' housecat in the sun.

I'm not familiar with prairie dogs but we hated gophers like the dickens growing up.

They are a rodent, that is improperly named. They look similar to a ground squirrel but larger. They can completely devastate rangeland with their holes that can be dangerous expecially to a running horse if they step in them. Rattlesnakes can always be found in abundance around their little towns. Also they have a tendency to carry the Bubonic plague at times.

Have a nice day R2 and keep up your travel pics

the two little ones laugh heartily when mom here dodges and dives for the gophers, but has to do the duck and dodge from those darned old BIG white rabbits we have out here!! Too danged stupid to realize that the big bright lights coming toward you are something to run from...NOT TOWARD!!!
Is that what you call "bonding".................you crack me up :lol:

ranchwife said:
passin thru said:
isn't that what you are SUPPOSED to do???

I love it...........I love it. I guess I'm not the only one, especially prairie dogs :lol: :lol:

the two little ones laugh heartily when mom here dodges and dives for the gophers, but has to do the duck and dodge from those darned old BIG white rabbits we have out here!! Too danged stupid to realize that the big bright lights coming toward you are something to run from...NOT TOWARD!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a story in the Rapid City paper about thirty years ago that told of a man driving down a South Dakota highway on a dark night. He saw two rabbits on the road ahead, and gunned his pickup to see if he could hit both of them before they escaped. As luck would have it, it wasn't two rabbits but a black horse with two stocking legs. The horse was killed and the pickup totally wrecked, but the man escaped injury. :? :???:

Soapweed said:
ranchwife said:
passin thru said:

There was a story in the Rapid City paper about thirty years ago that told of a man driving down a South Dakota highway on a dark night. He saw two rabbits on the road ahead, and gunned his pickup to see if he could hit both of them before they escaped. As luck would have it, it wasn't two rabbits but a black horse with two stocking legs. The horse was killed and the pickup totally wrecked, but the man escaped injury. :? :???:

I think "oooops" would be a slight UNDERSTATEMENT!! :shock: :shock:

Poor kitty....

Mountain lion enters house through dog door, kills cat
By Aaron Harber, YourHub.com

May 15, 2006

The cougar was first spotted by my good friends, Matthew and Deborah Silverman, who live on 11th and Forest in North Boulder — a short block away from one of Boulder's busiest streets: Broadway. They had just returned home and saw a figure lying on the ground next to a tree a few feet from their house. When the animal arose and came forward, Matt had a rake and knew this was no ordinary kitty.

The police were the first to arrive and were followed by park rangers and CDOW officers. There was nothing happening in Boulder today so the incident attracted a crowd of law enforcement professionals. Initially, they kept neighborhood onlookers away. The mountain lion ran into the neighbor's backyard but got caught between a wood fence and some wire mesh. It did not have a lot of room to maneuver and was quite unhappy.

The cougar had gotten into the house next to the Silvermans through a dog door used for " Mungit," a 15 year-old cat. The lion had entered the home, killed and ate poor Mungit, and then ate the dry cat food stored in the house. It left to deposit Mungit's remains outside and to take a nap in the 10-foot-wide space between the two homes.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4700090,00.html

Latest posts