• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Moving cow pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
In the fall, my relatives trail their cows from southern Utah to northern Arizona. It's a two day trip. It happens every year and some are not so much fun as others. That bench on the skyline is where we're headed.

CooperRedCanyon15thNov04005-2.jpg

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge003.jpg

Some of the country is pretty colorful,,, some is just sage brush.

Those cowboys aren't wearing those coats just for fun. The wind blows pretty hard out in those flats.

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge004.jpg

That year there was plenty of water on the desert. We stopped for lunch,, both the riders and the cows.

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge006.jpg

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge015.jpg

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge022.jpg

Some of the riders are pretty tough, and start quite young. Her mother
and that mare, was keeping an eye on her.

15thNov05Johnso_CooperRidge018.jpg

IMGP0169-1.jpg

This was another day and in some country further east. This little bunch gave us all we wanted to keep them headed for the corral where we trailered them sixty miles to the ranch. No red rock country here.

RedCanyon_ColeMineCanyon28May05042-1.jpg

The boss knew about this old cabin and took us to see it on the way to find the cows. Us city kids thought it was kind of unique.

RedCanyon_ColeMineCanyon28May05045-1.jpg

RedCanyon_ColeMineCanyon28May05048.jpg

On the way home we stopped at Fredonia Arizona to water the horses at the rodeo grounds. We just had to stay around long enough to see this gutsey little gal make her run. She scored.

29April04Orderville026.jpg

Loved the trip Mustang! I'd like to go back in time and chase wild cattle on the Arizona strip and the 4 corners with Al Scorup. He ran cows in 4 states and had 16000 head under permit when the Taylor grazing act went into being. It's my understanding he is in the cowboy hall of fame. Anyway, ya got me to daydreaming! THANKS!!! :D

Soapweed said:
That was an enjoyable tour of colorful cattle in colorful country. The old cabin could probably tell some good stories. Thanks for the pictures.

I know what you mean. I've been in a lot of historical cow country places where I've had the same thought. There is a lot of history and other thing written on the walls of that cabin,,, but I couldn't show those kind of pictures on here. :shock:

My dad-in- law rode some country west of there about 100 years ago, and could tell some storys about Butch Cassidy and his bunch. I wish I had taped all of them and ask about the ones I didn't.

leanin' H said:
Loved the trip Mustang! I'd like to go back in time and chase wild cattle on the Arizona strip and the 4 corners with Al Scorup. He ran cows in 4 states and had 16000 head under permit when the Taylor grazing act went into being. It's my understanding he is in the cowboy hall of fame. Anyway, ya got me to daydreaming! THANKS!!! :D

I rode some with Ivan Lyman and Mac LaFevere from Boulder Ut. They have both ridden "off into the sunset." They could tell some hair raising stories about chasing cows down on the Esclante River country. Remind me if we ever get together.

Hey, ya got any mud out there today????

Here at my place we just barely settled the dust. But the desert was pretty soggy this afternoon on the trip home from work. :D We need all that we can get. Hope it rains/snows all weekend. :D I knew a Boulder cowboy by the name of Bruce Wilson who worked up here for awhile. And my Dad's cousin was a Hansen in Boulder. He ran cattle down there on Boulder Mountain and off towards Powell in the winter.

leanin' H said:
Here at my place we just barely settled the dust. But the desert was pretty soggy this afternoon on the trip home from work. :D We need all that we can get. Hope it rains/snows all weekend. :D I knew a Boulder cowboy by the name of Bruce Wilson who worked up here for awhile. And my Dad's cousin was a Hansen in Boulder. He ran cattle down there on Boulder Mountain and off towards Powell in the winter.

I didn't know either of those names. I rode a lot for Gary Haws and Kelly Roundy. If you ever get the urge to ride the Boulder,, I know quite a few trails and some beautiful lakes. "I could be bought."

Latest posts