• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MRJ

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I see I screwed up. 2 posts the same. Oh well, maybe Maxie will see one of them. Hi to the rest of you die hards.

Definitely missed you more than the pain that keeps me awake at night!

And you are a relief from the"Tweedle Dum (OT) and Tweedle Dee (Sandhusker) Twins' gibberish.

I will point out something you seem to have missed. The Mexicans won't need to label their beef, as your money will be funding that "Product of Mexico" label, one way or another.

And, since it will be their best quality which may surprise many people, it's not likely to sit on the grocers' shelves any longer than your best beef does!

What happens to US beef popularity when the best imported beef is rright beside some of the low quality beef that still does get produced in the USA, both 'proudly' labelled?????

So......welcome back.

mrj

Hey there rancher- Long time no see....Ol Tweedle Dum is pretty happy today as its raining..No himmicane amounts like Ike's producing but we have got .35 so far this morning...

EDIT: At 3:30PM- we're up to over 1/2 an inch :D :clap: Thank you Mrs. Greg for sharing :wink: Sure is greening up some of the hay meadows, improved pasture, and crescent wheat areas....

It's amazing how ALL the beef from Canada and Mexico is top quality and some USA producers love to point out that ONLY the USA has some low quality beef...of course it's not theirs!!!!!

RobertMac said:
It's amazing how ALL the beef from Canada and Mexico is top quality and some USA producers love to point out that ONLY the USA has some low quality beef...of course it's not theirs!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RobertMac said:

I sell my own beef..My sales have tripled in the last year.....Repeat customer after repeat customer....All saying it is the Best they have ever had...Sales have gone up even after raising my prices....

The recession? I chose not to participate.....

The small number I sell to Tyson, including some bought calves to keep an economy of scale...Are grading 85% choice...

I say this all not to be arrogant. I have worked hard to do this and get to this point... I have a ways to go yet.....But it is available to anyone willing to put the work in...

PPRM

PPRM said:
RobertMac said:

I sell my own beef..My sales have tripled in the last year.....Repeat customer after repeat customer....All saying it is the Best they have ever had...Sales have gone up even after raising my prices....

The small number I sell to Tyson, including some bought calves to keep an economy of scale...Are grading 85% choice...

I say this all not to be arrogant. I have worked hard to do this and get to this point... I have a ways to go yet.....But it is available to anyone willing to put the work in...

PPRM
"available to anyone willing to put the work in... "
And it doesn't have to be done the way you and I are doing it. Find an [independent] branded beef program that offers premiums for following a protocol and pays based on carcass yield and quality. Sell your bottom end to Tyson.

RobertMac said:
PPRM, it just hit me that most here probably view you and I as they do Kit Pharo...oh well.

Don't worry about how others see you. If it works for you, stick with it. Usually those who mock the most are those who are the most threatened.

RobertMac said:
PPRM said:
RobertMac said:

PPRM
"available to anyone willing to put the work in... "
And it doesn't have to be done the way you and I are doing it. Find a branded beef program that offers premiums for following a protocol and pays based on carcass yield and quality. Sell your bottom end to Tyson.

I have actually decided at this point to avoid that.... Here is why...

About ten years ago, a friend was so excited..... He had changed his genetics and was excited about CAB Premiums... I asked him what he was getting and he figured the Average would be $15-50 a head....Ovr 300 head, that is nothing to sneeze at but.....

Also, I really got good at feeding and sorting calves. LOL, I had a Black Limousin calf hit CAB once.... Anyways, I was doing ok, but I notice the discounts for an odd one huge relative to small premiums for my overall... I worked and got better, stopped buying certaincalves, started selling others or donating them to Agape House... I am currently hitting about 85% choice on what I sell to Tyson...But....

I know guys in Oregon Country Beef...Guys in Painted Hills. I respect and admire both programs. But I notice by letting someone else do all that work, they are consistently talking $50-100 per head premiums....But....

So, depending on the calf, lets say in a program, I can feed out the cattle and get $1300-1400...That is retty good...But....

So, here I am on my own.... I am using a less efficient processor by Industry view..... I do have some stuff done like patties and Seasoned Meat..... After All Butchering Fees.... I am getting $1800-2200/ Head....

I can do the work and get $500-800/ head more than these other programs and I have ideas on how to change things and do even better....

Out of that 500-800, I do feel Marketing and my time take aout $300/head....

I see benefits of both ways and a lot of it depends upon the guys situation. Travel distance to the markets that can absor your numbers is a big one..Also, It takes a few years to get the numbers up on what you can sell and there is a learning curve...

LOL, BTW...My cattle do look a lot different than Pharo's, but my Feed Resources are as well. I make the last comment not to put him down. but to make a point..Look at what others do with a open mind and take home what will work for you. We all are in different situations...

PPRM
PPRM

PPRM, you exposed a flaw I corrected...I should have said "independent branded beef program"...I wasn't talking about big packer 'in house' branded programs like CAB.
PPRM said:
I know guys in Oregon Country Beef...Guys in Painted Hills. I respect and admire both programs. But I notice by letting someone else do all that work, they are consistently talking $50-100 per head premiums....But....
That's true (although there are some that say there isn't that much profit/head in the beef industry, much less just marketing), but, for those without easy access to markets, could still capture more profits working with this type of independent programs.

I'm a few hundred dollars short of your gross, but I'm selling at the bottom end or below for the grassfed market. My goal for now is to build a loyal customer base. My marketing this year was to send out an email to past customers to tell them it was time to book their beef. They are doing my marketing by word of mouth. I could easily double my sells, but first have to double my production...that will be another year because of my protocol.

Ditto the learning curve...
PPRM said:
LOL, BTW...My cattle do look a lot different than Pharo's, but my Feed Resources are as well. I make the last comment not to put him down. but to make a point..Look at what others do with a open mind and take home what will work for you. We all are in different situations...
That was my point about Kit...many discard what he says/does because they think he is trying to tell them how to run their operation...instead of doing as you say.

That is an average gross on selling as cuts and selling sides....

I still do not understand the guys that say you have to do 500 head before selling cuts makes sense. As long as everyone buys into that, there is less competition for me, LOL...

I understand about the customer base vs raising rates.... I tend to be below everyone on Hamburger. I have a softnes for the retired couples that buy my meat being able to afford it.....

I tend to try to keep my lower ends affordable and raise value with innovation and unique things.... Cooking my own may be something in the works soon,

PPRM

RobertMac, obviously that comment of yours refers to my point about low quality imported beef being unlikely to make it into US retail meat counters.

When have I ever said thta ALL beef from Canada or Mexico is top quality, or that ONLY the USA has low quality beef????

There are plenty in this country, some here, and some on their radio ads with their propaganda/auction market reports in SD who practially insist that there is no high quality IMPORTED beef and no low quality US beef. That attitude doesn't do the cattle/beef industry any good.

It would most likely be a pretty sure bet that little lower quality imported beef gets to the retail stores in the US. It seems more likely the low quality imported beef would be in hamburger, doesn't it?

There is a place for each grade level of beef if it is handled and marketed right. Those who produce better quality beef seem to get paid better for it.

mrj

mrj said:
RobertMac, obviously that comment of yours refers to my point about low quality imported beef being unlikely to make it into US retail meat counters.

When have I ever said thta ALL beef from Canada or Mexico is top quality, or that ONLY the USA has low quality beef????

There are plenty in this country, some here, and some on their radio ads with their propaganda/auction market reports in SD who practially insist that there is no high quality IMPORTED beef and no low quality US beef. That attitude doesn't do the cattle/beef industry any good.

It would most likely be a pretty sure bet that little lower quality imported beef gets to the retail stores in the US. It seems more likely the low quality imported beef would be in hamburger, doesn't it?

There is a place for each grade level of beef if it is handled and marketed right. Those who produce better quality beef seem to get paid better for it.

mrj
mrj said:
What happens to US beef popularity when the best imported beef is rright beside some of the low quality beef that still does get produced in the USA, both 'proudly' labelled?????

Sorry, but that is a strectch of interpretation between what was said and what was interpretted,

PPRM

RM, you 'spin machine' is slipping!!!!

Don't you think many consumers will want to blame someone if they have a poor eating experience with "Product of USA" labeled beef that is not as good as they thought it would be, even if their own cooking method is at fault?

The lower quality US or imported beef, IF HANDLED AND MARKETED RIGHT, can give consumers a satisfying and nutritious eating experience.

Have you ever eaten home canned beef? I have also eaten some good commercially canned beef, and it is wonderful for many meals whether chopped up for sandwiches or barbecues, or put into soups and stews or casseroles. Meals can be very quickly made in minutes and taste as if they had simmered or baked for hours.

There is no end of commercially prepared products that can be and are produced from lower quality meat.

There also are some of those tougher cuts sold without explanation of how to use them and many consumers are going to be very disappointed with their eating experience if they purchase it and prepare it improperly after reading or hearing that all US produced beef is superior quality.

mrj

mrj

PPRM said:
Sorry, but that is a strectch of interpretation between what was said and what was interpretted,

PPRM
Being absurd to illustrate absurdity...it was sarcastic interpretation.

mrj, all beef is assumed to be USA beef now...even the low quality and 'bad eating experience' beef. I don't care for your implication that consumers will turn away from USA beef because of COOL. I want COOL so I will know that any food I buy is NOT FROM CHINA! We all know where their "produce and sell at lowest price" philosophy has their food quality and safety. Who else has the "produce and sell at lowest price" philosophy in the beef industry??????

And don't interpolate what you hear on the radio into what I say!

RobertMac, When did China start exporting beef to the USA????

Why do you fear the 3% of the beef in retail stores that is imported when you can sell your own superior product at a better price????

I didn't set the US low cost food policy, but do believe it has served society well. That is how we (even those of us producing ag products) who are not in the top 10% of income can afford our luxuries in life.

It seems logical that people in this country also have a diet of better quality and safer food than in most other countries, giving us value for our money.

Sure, it would be nice to be paid better, but we are improving on that, too, but not by asking someone what they will give us for the cattle!!!!

mrj

mrj said:
RobertMac, When did China start exporting beef to the USA????

Why do you fear the 3% of the beef in retail stores that is imported when you can sell your own superior product at a better price????

I didn't set the US low cost food policy, but do believe it has served society well. That is how we (even those of us producing ag products) who are not in the top 10% of income can afford our luxuries in life.

It seems logical that people in this country also have a diet of better quality and safer food than in most other countries, giving us value for our money.

Sure, it would be nice to be paid better, but we are improving on that, too, but not by asking someone what they will give us for the cattle!!!!

mrj

mrj, more would be able to buy higher quality meat if the U.S. didn't have such poor trade balances. That money being shipped overseas and then back here to the U.S. in investments in tbills would make interest rates go a little higher, give a better return to the people wanting to save a little and maybe help push the labor market into providing the things we previously bought from China. The push on the labor market would invariably push wages higher and people could pay more for meat in the U.S.

It would help solve the savings problem and increase wages at home while allowing people buy more high quality beef and meals.

Latest posts