• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MRJ

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Beef Check-off commerical was on KBHB, runs daily and how many times a day I don't know. The only thing promoting beef is something like" A steakhouse should be called a steakhome" , just makes me want to run out and support a steak house, not. The rest of the ad time is telling listeners what the Check-off is doing besides advertisement. I think the whole commericial to be worth the money spent should advertise why they should buy beef., Not that they should call a steakhouse a steakhome. As far as you think I don't have much to do, you are totally wrong, but if that makes you feel better go ahead.

rancher said:
Beef Check-off commerical was on KBHB, runs daily and how many times a day I don't know. The only thing promoting beef is something like" A steakhouse should be called a steakhome" , just makes me want to run out and support a steak house, not. The rest of the ad time is telling listeners what the Check-off is doing besides advertisement. I think the whole commericial to be worth the money spent should advertise why they should buy beef., Not that they should call a steakhouse a steakhome. As far as you think I don't have much to do, you are totally wrong, but if that makes you feel better go ahead.

Same ad plays here on KLTZ- I usually hear it around noon when the Northern Ag Network has their Ag reports....Definitely is an ad to advertise the checkoff to the producers and not a beef ad......

You guys have forgotten that a few years ago it was "what has the checkoff ever done for me?" the law does include informing producers, so the shift was made to spend more on informing producers where their money is going. You need to be involved in the time and effort spent in getting a grant to get checkoff dollars and the rewards that it has brought forth. LMA, or should I say PAT GOGGINS, started this whole thing, if it goes down in flames, the smaller producers, which is us, are going down and he will be buying you at half the market value of the land and he will keep on getting bigger. I have said this before on this site, if you do not think that PETA, The Nature Conservancy, and the rest of them are not laughing at our infighting you are wrong. They are watching us self destruct and it does not cost them a dime. If anyone of you can show me that Pat Goggins is not the support of R-Calf bring it on. He was president of LMA at the time, THE AUCTION MARKET IS THE ONLY WAY TO FIND TRUE VALUE, let's go back to the 60's. I find that true value is found on the grid where I get paid more than average for good cattle, that yield very well, grade above average, and have meat. They want a piece of the checkoff dollars because the NCBA and the NMA are promoting to us producers to use the tools we have to make more money, instead of them.
Have you ever heard of cutting the middle man out? That is what I am doing, and in the last two years it has netted on the average a $125 increase per head instead of paying them $30 per head to "market them for me". I have 12 years of carcass data that markets may cattle.

I have said this before on this site, if you do not think that PETA, The Nature Conservancy, and the rest of them are not laughing at our infighting you are wrong. They are watching us self destruct and it does not cost them a dime.

Well who in the h### is in bed with the nature conservancy, oh ya I remember the NCBA.

You been seeing many black helicopters lately SM?

How about the feller singing his bull sale ads? I'm sure he's a fine old gentleman and good cattleman, but his singing ads kinda get to me. Nothing ever rhymes, and the lyrics seem to be not very well planned. It almost makes a person want to go look at the "sung about bulls" just to see the "singer".

Goodness knows there are enough bull sale promotions that a ranch needs to do something to give their ads special personality. One thing about it, his ad sure does stand out. :roll:

I heard that too, he sang a new song after his sale thanking the people. Someone should send him a quarter.

Soapweed said:
How about the feller singing his bull sale ads? I'm sure he's a fine old gentleman and good cattleman, but his singing ads kinda get to me. Nothing ever rhymes, and the lyrics seem to be not very well planned. It almost makes a person want to go look at the "sung about bulls" just to see the "singer".

Goodness knows there are enough bull sale promotions that a ranch needs to do something to give their ads special personality. One thing about it, his ad sure does stand out. :roll:

OK MRJ is this ole coot being paid check off dollars to sing about his bulls I dont care if he is a member of ncba inner circle............good luck

rancher said:
I have said this before on this site, if you do not think that PETA, The Nature Conservancy, and the rest of them are not laughing at our infighting you are wrong. They are watching us self destruct and it does not cost them a dime.

Well who in the h### is in bed with the nature conservancy, oh ya I remember the NCBA.

You been seeing many black helicopters lately SM?

Who is SM? What about these black helicopters??? :roll:

Hanta Yo said:
I don't understand your responses to sw's questions. Is it because you don't want to??? Is it threatening or what?? Tell me!!!!!!!

refresh me, what ?'s I just read some rants

rancher, it sure seems like you spend a lot of time dreaming up things to hate NCBA for. Maybe you are one busy rancher. If I take your word for that, will you accept my word that NCBA is a good, producer run organization, which I know to be a fact?

You are reaching a long way trying to tie NCBA to The Nature Conservancy. Contrast NCBA helping some members explore TNC so they can determine whether or not it has anything to offer them when their ranching operation is threatened by urban sprawl, with R-CALF partnering with known anti-meat groups to promote a protectionist agenda by dangerously (and fraudulently IMO) telling consumers that beef purchased in the USA could be contaminated with BSE if it originated in Canada. If you cannot understand that difference, I'm sorry for you. If you understand, but refuse to admit it, I'm disgusted with you.

Most of the ads are designed, and I know some have even been tested, to be sure they appeal to the target audience. Haven't you seen the ads that tell how much more good nutritients steak has than chicken breast, spinach, etc.? The one that says "there is no such thing as a chicken knife", showing a great photo of a good looking steak is eye catching. Far as advertising to ranchers, until we all know what the checkoff really is doing, it seems a good idea. Why don't you share your better ideas with your state Beef Council representatives. Remember checkoff money cannot be used for lobbying.

Please remember, unless it specifically states the ad is paid for all or in part by the Beef Checkoff, then it is funded totally from non-checkoff money.

OT, have you ever heard of checkoff funds being used by any individual to advertise his bulls? Hugh Ingalls has nice Angus bulls. He likes to sing. His voice is nice. Maybe his jingles are a little schmaltzy, but they get the message accross, and are less tiresome than a LOT of other bull ads I hear owners doing. He does NOT get Beef checkoff dollars to do his ads!

MRJ

BTW, Oldtimer, what could possibly have given you the idea that Hugh Ingalls might be able to use Beef Checkoff dollars to pay for his bull sales ads?

Talk about seeing black helicopters!!!!!!!! What an imagination you have!

MRJ

MRJ said:
BTW, Oldtimer, what could possibly have given you the idea that Hugh Ingalls might be able to use Beef Checkoff dollars to pay for his bull sales ads?

Talk about seeing black helicopters!!!!!!!! What an imagination you have!

MRJ

What you talking about Maxine? :???: I don't know who Hugh Ingalls is and have never said anything about his checkoff and bull sales ads....You must be hitting the bullberry wine again? :lol:

Hanta Yo said:
Goes to show you, MRJ that OT hasn't a clue what he is talking about!

Better look again Hanta Yo-- I said nothing about bull sales and the checkoff-- Haymaker did.... You checkoff ladies have a special recipe for that wine? :lol:

Hanta Yo said:
I apologize, OT, I went back and read the thread and rancher is the culprit. I apologize, again. :oops: What else can I say? :oops: :cry: :(

To quote one of my heroes- John Wayne as Captain Nathan Brittles in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon: "Never apologize, its a sign of weakness."

Just save me some of that wine- might need something before this storm gets past......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rancher, it sure seems like you spend a lot of time dreaming up things to hate NCBA for. Maybe you are one busy rancher. If I take your word for that, will you accept my word that NCBA is a good, producer run organization, which I know to be a fact?

I really don't care if you think I am on welfare MRJ. I can have an opinion on the check-off add I heard, it was a waste of money.

Hanta HO, I was not the culprit, I never said the bull sale was paid for by check-off. I just said I heard the commericial Soapweed was talking about and didn't think it was that great.

Soapweed, guess you got Oldtimer and I in trouble for bringing up the singer of bulls. Guess on the NEW ranchers.net you can not change subjects in the middle of a post as some have a hard time following it. You owe us a beer. :wink: But it was worth the scrambling of some brains for awhile.

Rancher and Old-Timer, please accept my humble apologies for getting you both in trouble. This whole thread is how gossip gets started, and I was the culprit. Rancher mentioned advertising and KBHB, and those two words immediately jogged my brain into thinking of the singing salesman (which I should not have mentioned) :???: (and I DIDN'T mention him by name).

If you guys want to meet me in town some day, I'll sure buy you each a few beers. If you want to come on out to the ranch, we'll probably just have iced tea. :)

Latest posts