• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MT Livestock Brands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sic 'em reds

Reaction score
Was looking around on craigslist and noticed alot of brands for sale in MT, and for some big bucks. What's the deal with that?

Must be the new get rich quick scheme for all the relatives that inherit and brand and don't want to pay to renew it.

The thing is alot of those brands really aren't with a dang for the most part. I saw where someone was advertising a one iron brand, it was all one letter but used 3 times in the brand. That is not a one iron brand, very far from it to be honest.

It seems like everybody thinks they have a pot of gold since they have a brand paper in their possession. Actually if they weere either a one or two iron they are worth some money as I understand that is the only way you can get a one or two iron brand anymore.

I saw a two charecter brand get autioned at the LaJunta sale barn last week in Colorado.

It was quarter circle 4.

)

It fetched $2000 if I remember correctly, and the bidding was lively.

bart. †

Bought a two-iron brand right off the Nebraska Brand Board web site last fall for a cool $100. :D Must be a function of half of our state being a no-brand area? Still thought it was a good deal.

I have a two iron brand for MT that I obviously don't use anymore and have family with several single iron brands that don't get used anymore. It just irritates me to see these, because even though the brands aren't used anymore, they still kind of mean something, to me at least. I was happy to get one of our single iron brands for Christmas one year, and then was also able to get it here in WA :)

Just seems weird that you see so many of them for sale in MT??

This is re-record year in MT...$100 for next 10 years...Lot of older/retired folks get thinking they can sell their now unneeded/unused brands for a profit rather than pay to rerecord it...

Sometimes if a guy keeps his eye on some of those old brands he knows are not being used-or the owners are deceased- they are not rerecorded by the owner or heirs- and you can pick them up as open brands....

Latest posts