• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Much Needed Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I am going to buy some hay in the next few weeks. I have a big barn to put it in 100 X 100 X 16 to store it in until I get it sold. I will keep buying it until I don't have any order left. People at the sale barns have been drilling me about where is there any hay to buy. I talked to my boss this morning and he told me he can get me in touch with a guy in south texas that has some pretty good hay for 50 per bale.

cowboyup said:
nortexsook said:
What is also a bit galling is the hay sellers trying to make a killing off the folks affected by drought.

like this ad:

http://lawton.craigslist.org/grd/25280496851.htm

I am not sure my true feelings because if the market will bear it a seller should get as much as possible, I guess.

The smart thing to do is just sell cows. No way poor grass hay is worth $180 a ton before delivery will run $250 a ton after delivery.

The thing is when all the horsey folks sell out and the cattle folks sell out, who are these hay guys going to sell to next year? And the next? A one time windfall is always not what it seems....

Edited to add: Obviously the link doesn't work but $90 per bale in field for 1000# round bales.....

How did the cow ranchers treat the hay guys when the shoe is on the other foot. I sold hay for 48 dollars a ton when the 600 weight calves were bringing $1.26. Nobody offered me a fair price because the hay market was flooded. I even tried offering a long term contract but nobody then would even consider 70 dollars a ton. so I guess I have a really hard time feeling sorry for anyone. I made it through and if you just suck it up, quit crying and just ride it out you have a chance also.

In the long term the hay guy needs the stockman way more than the stockman needs the hay guy.

Personally I don't give a squat because I don't buy or feed hay.....not even now!

Latest posts