• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MUD DAUBERS,& FERAL CATS

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I dont know which I have more of,mud daubers or feral cats ,can't even leave these barns open any more with out them filling up with varmints.The mud daubers carry mud to build nests and have ruin't several electric motors ,and had some carry mud into a computer/printer. Feral cats started out alright catching mice and rats out of the store rooms but too much of a good thing,darn things are either fighting all nite and squalling so you cant sleep or having more cats,I use to trap em and have em spayed,but this is a little much guess ILL have to get serious.......good luck
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
What concerns me about feral cats is the possibility of rabies from contact with infected raccoons etc.
Sorry to hear about your mud-stuffed printer! What a shame.
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
I can't help you much with the mud dabbers but I've found a couple of good german shepards will help keep the property safe, provide endless compainship :D , help teach children responcibility and keep the cats far far away. :lol: :lol:

You might detect that I don't have much fondness for cats :wink: - - - I bought a pest eliminator that is very annoying but seems to keep rodents and birds out of the buildings. It works very well but it annoyed the help so bad that I removed the light switch and replaced it with a three way switch so that when you turn the lights on the pest eliminator goes off and turns back on when you turn the lights off. If you get one of these and the birda and mice are well established it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get rid of them but then they are gone - - - I have used this for about 5 years and every few weeks I change the setting to a different sound. This does not seem to bother the cattle or horses but keeps the pests away. :!:
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
George said:
I can't help you much with the mud dabbers but I've found a couple of good german shepards will help keep the property safe, provide endless compainship :D , help teach children responcibility and keep the cats far far away. :lol: :lol:

You might detect that I don't have much fondness for cats :wink: - - - I bought a pest eliminator that is very annoying but seems to keep rodents and birds out of the buildings. It works very well but it annoyed the help so bad that I removed the light switch and replaced it with a three way switch so that when you turn the lights on the pest eliminator goes off and turns back on when you turn the lights off. If you get one of these and the birda and mice are well established it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get rid of them but then they are gone - - - I have used this for about 5 years and every few weeks I change the setting to a different sound. This does not seem to bother the cattle or horses but keeps the pests away. :!:


That sounds like some thing I could use,I for got to mention feral pigeons they have crapped on every thing that dont move,maybe you could give me a little more info on this "pest eliminator" ?................good luck
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
I'm not sure if the company is still in business now as I purchased my units several years ago. The model I have is the "Transonic LX L" made by Weitech Inc. From Sisters, Oregon 1-800-343-2659

It was over $100.00 but I have seen similar units in catalogs in the mid $30.00 range - - - don't know if they work but I know mine does. It has two switches on the back one with choices 1, 2, or 3 and the other with choices A, B, or C and I have lost the book that came with it but it gave listings for different pests - - - for example it might have said 2-B for sparrows or 1 - C for mice - - - - I just change to different settings every couple of weeks ( whenever I think of it) and I have no mice or birds of any kind and I store feed in the barn year around. We put another unit in the seed warehouse and have never had any opened bags yet.

You did not state what you think of my cat eliminator - - -just make sure that if you go that way you keep up on rabies shots.
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
George said:
I'm not sure if the company is still in business now as I purchased my units several years ago. The model I have is the "Transonic LX L" made by Weitech Inc. From Sisters, Oregon 1-800-343-2659

It was over $100.00 but I have seen similar units in catalogs in the mid $30.00 range - - - don't know if they work but I know mine does. It has two switches on the back one with choices 1, 2, or 3 and the other with choices A, B, or C and I have lost the book that came with it but it gave listings for different pests - - - for example it might have said 2-B for sparrows or 1 - C for mice - - - - I just change to different settings every couple of weeks ( whenever I think of it) and I have no mice or birds of any kind and I store feed in the barn year around. We put another unit in the seed warehouse and have never had any opened bags yet.


Thanks for the information George,I dont have much luck with dogs killing cats,they get too fat and wont chase nothing,guess I need to put em on a diet..............good luck
You did not state what you think of my cat eliminator - - -just make sure that if you go that way you keep up on rabies shots.
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Hat Maker - - - just wondered if you had called and if the company is still in business - - - - I have a neighbor who wants a unit and I gave him the info as well but have not seen him in a couple of days so I don't know what luck he has had
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
George said:
Hat Maker - - - just wondered if you had called and if the company is still in business - - - - I have a neighbor who wants a unit and I gave him the info as well but have not seen him in a couple of days so I don't know what luck he has had

George ,yes I have called but I called late and got a recording,I been tied up fighting the tax man but I think I got that resolved today,I plan on calling them soon at regular buisness hours..............good luck
 

Buckerette

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Found the website for those who want it:
http://www.weitech.com/

I have mice terrible. They have moved into the glove department in my car. They shredded the registration and have left droppings all over the seat. It's terrible. They won't get in the truck, don't know why. I'm at the point I'd do anything to get rid of them, them and the dam* praire dogs and rabbits. :p
 

Sierraman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
299
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
It was fascinating to SEE the word mud dauber. I've only ever heard it. Sorry I can't tell you how to handle them though. I've squashed a couple. :? :)
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Buckerette - - - if the mice are in a location that people are not try the pest eliminator - - - I use one in the seed ware house and in the barn where we had problems with them moving in the combine and doing major damage. We have another one in the feed shed and in all three locations we no longer have birds or rodents. It is fun to see a bird fly in and stay a few seconds and leave. It took about a month to get the established birds and mice out but that has been over 5 years and they stay out. They work great but people cannot tolerate them so they won't work in a living space. I have them rigged to a three way switch in the buildings so that when we turn the lights on they shut off and then turn back on when we turn the lights back off. This is the only way I could keep the employees from unpluging them and has provem very sccessful
 

Buckerette

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
reader (the Second) said:
Buckerette said:
Found the website for those who want it:
http://www.weitech.com/

I have mice terrible. They have moved into the glove department in my car. They shredded the registration and have left droppings all over the seat. It's terrible. They won't get in the truck, don't know why. I'm at the point I'd do anything to get rid of them, them and the dam* praire dogs and rabbits. :p


While my husband was very ill, at the end, I had an infestation of mice. It took me 6 months of yelling at the high priced exterminators until they finally sent someone who knew what he was doing and he got rid of them for good. But they died hidden places (between the floors?) in my house and stank it up for several weeks in a row. I had to keep all counters free of food and put all my food in hard plastic containers. One night after my husband died I heard a noise in the kitchen. They had found an avocado pit and were bouncing (rolling?) it across the floor to their lair behind my frig / dishwasher. They would get on counters and take bites out of meat defrosting, tomatoes ripening. They once pulled a full plastic bag of cashews from the bulk section which was in a basket on an iron kitchen shelf unit -- onto the floor and into the crevice between the frig and dishwasher --- amazingly entrepreneurial. Of course the plastic bag got stuck.

Ok, so my mice problem isn't nearly as bad as yours was. That's terrible!
 

Buckerette

Well-known member
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
George said:
Buckerette - - - if the mice are in a location that people are not try the pest eliminator - - - I use one in the seed ware house and in the barn where we had problems with them moving in the combine and doing major damage. We have another one in the feed shed and in all three locations we no longer have birds or rodents. It is fun to see a bird fly in and stay a few seconds and leave. It took about a month to get the established birds and mice out but that has been over 5 years and they stay out. They work great but people cannot tolerate them so they won't work in a living space. I have them rigged to a three way switch in the buildings so that when we turn the lights on they shut off and then turn back on when we turn the lights back off. This is the only way I could keep the employees from unpluging them and has provem very sccessful

I'll have to try it. The house is pretty much controlled by the cats. The worst place seems to be the garage and car, maybe I'll do the three way thing in the garage and a battery operated one in the car that I can take out when I use it.... if that would work. For some reason, I don't have them in the haystack, at least I don't see them. We did have a slew of rattlesnakes, they might have scared them off.
 

Latest posts

Top