• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Murtha sez

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Makes me smile. I hope he's right. Link below; my emphasis.

"U.S. Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., expects "the vast majority" of U.S. troops to leave Iraq by the end of this year, CBS News reported.
Murtha, who touched off a political firestorm on Capitol Hill last fall when he said U.S. troops should be redeployed from Iraq immediately, said Congress will come under pressure from voters to withdraw troops from Iraq.
"I think the vast majority (of troops) will be out by the end of the year and I'm hopeful they'll be out sooner than that," said Murtha in an interview set to air Sunday on "60 Minutes." Portions of the interview were aired Friday on "The CBS Evening News."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/?feed=TopNews&article=UPI-1-20060113-21264800-bc-us-murtha.xml

Makes me smile, too. :D Makes me smile even more when you say that you hope he's right. :D :D That just goes to show how irrational both of you are. :lol2:

X said:
Makes me smile, too. :D Makes me smile even more when you say that you hope he's right. :D :D That just goes to show how irrational both of you are. :lol2:

Do you care to make a predicition that he's wrong?

Disagreeable said:
Yes, I can do that. But I guess it depends on how we define 'vast majority'. But anything over half? Yes, I'll predict that he is wrong. You guys just don't get it, do you? We just can't afford to do something that reckless for political purposes only. Even if government could work that fast, and I don't think that is possible.

I certainly think that it would be ill-advised and reckless to cut our troop strength by half in such a short period of time. Talk about putting our remaining troops in more danger...that would really be asking for it. Can you disagree with that?

X said:
Disagreeable said:
Yes, I can do that. But I guess it depends on how we define 'vast majority'. But anything over half? Yes, I'll predict that he is wrong. You guys just don't get it, do you? We just can't afford to do something that reckless for political purposes only. Even if government could work that fast, and I don't think that is possible.

I get it clearly: we can't afford to pull out and we can't afford to stay. That's what Bush has gotten us into. If we pull out too early there are lots of bad things that can happen. If we stay, we're a target for the insurgents, the Civil War that the Iraq Defense Ministery says may happen will put our troops in the middle, and we're spending $1.1 billion every week of money we don't have. Get the picture?

I certainly think that it would be ill-advised and reckless to cut our troop strength by half in such a short period of time. Talk about putting our remaining troops in more danger...that would really be asking for it. Can you disagree with that?

So you'll say Bush is making a mistake if/when he orders a cut of half our troops this year? I need to find out how many are there now so we can have a base figure. I don't know about putting our troops in more danger; some generals say our presence in Iraq is causing part of the insurgency. If they know we're actually leaving, perhaps they'll leave us alone and keep killing each other until we get out.

But, hey, President Bush is continually claiming the Iraqi Army and police are stepping up and he won't withdraw troops until they're able to protect their country. If he's telling the truth, our remaining troops should have nothing to worry about. Right?

Bottom line is Bush is Commander in Chief. They stay until he brings them home.

Disagreeable said:
I get it clearly: we can't afford to pull out and we can't afford to stay. That's what Bush has gotten us into. If we pull out too early there are lots of bad things that can happen. If we stay, we're a target for the insurgents, the Civil War that the Iraq Defense Ministery says may happen will put our troops in the middle, and we're spending $1.1 billion every week of money we don't have. Get the picture?
Yeah, I get it alright. We're in it now. I think it was for the best, you think it was a mistake. And the money? I absolutely hate the cost. But just like you, I despise the human cost even more. I hate the term 'roadside bomb'. Why the f do we keep hearing that? :x I can't even begin to understand why the greatest military in the World is seemingly unable to cope with the loss of life due to IED's. It's completely unacceptable to me. So yeah, I get the picture.

Believe it or not, but you're not the only one who cares about our troops. You're not the only one who would rather they be at home. You're not the only one who thanks every service member they see. You're not the only one who prays for them every single night. You're not the only one sickened by the loss......

Disagreeable said:
So you'll say Bush is making a mistake if/when he orders a cut of half our troops this year? I need to find out how many are there now so we can have a base figure. I don't know about putting our troops in more danger; some generals say our presence in Iraq is causing part of the insurgency. If they know we're actually leaving, perhaps they'll leave us alone and keep killing each other until we get out.
You're damn right I'll say that's a mistake! And don't worry about finding out the specific numbers. Believe me, if he pulls out anywhere close to half, I'll be the first to admit that it's a mistake. I hope that you never catch me with my head in the sand and refusing to stand for my own principles just to support one party over the other. I don't agree with President Bush on everything. In fact, he's way too liberal for me.

But your last sentence there makes me think that we can agree again:

Disagreeable said:
If they know we're actually leaving, perhaps they'll leave us alone and keep killing each other until we get out.
As long as they're going to kill each other until we get out, what's the big rush? :lol:

Disagreeable said:
But, hey, President Bush is continually claiming the Iraqi Army and police are stepping up and he won't withdraw troops until they're able to protect their country. If he's telling the truth, our remaining troops should have nothing to worry about. Right?
Now, I realize that this comment is facetious, so I know that we can agree here. I don't trust anybody to watch the backs of our guys, except our guys! Not anybody! And neither do you.

Disagreeable said:
Bottom line is Bush is Commander in Chief. They stay until he brings them home.
Exactly. I know it galls you to say that, so I won't gloat.

Latest posts