• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My Christmas Angel!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
Gotta tell you all about my day at work yesterday and how it has affected my outlook and made me come home a different person!!
I had the privilege of taking care of a very sick young woman and getting to meet her wonderful family.....a hard-working husband and a beautiful little boy!! For the sake of confidentiality, I will call the boy "Carson"!!
The mom was very sick and was in our hospital over the Christmas Weekend...including all day Christmas...the hubby and Carson came into town from many miles every day to see her and hope that she would be well enough to go home...no such luck!! During my time with this amazing family, I grew very attached (as did the rest of the nursing staff) to Carson! For only 5 years old, he was incredibly bright and always smiling! One day, Carson told me that he was "late for my medicine and will have to go home soon or get sick again"...I found out from his dad that Carson has Cystic Fibrosis and gets sick "alot"!! Looking at this beautiful little boy, one would never know how sick he was!! This amazing little family was undergoing a really difficult time....sick mom, sick little boy, sick cows at home and a horse that dad had to "put down" on Christmas Eve!! Carson often sat with us at the nurses station, watching disney movies about dogs and horses! He told me (with a smile) about his horse ("who is awful old and will probably go to God soon") and his dogs and his calf who was so sick that he also went go God! This child was not ever sad or crying and on Christmas morning, his dad placed the boy's christmas gifts under our tree in the waiting room and waited for Carson to notice!! When Carson saw his gifts, the smile on his face just made being away from my own family on Christmas day all the worth the while!! When I left for home that night, Carson and I had another talk.....I asked him about his "cowboy gear" and he told me that the only thing he did not have was chaps..."maybe next year when things are better" ( with his usual smile)!!
Well, my boys both got new chaps for Christmas and Riley's oldl pair were still in absolutely perfect condition!!! On the 8 mile drive home, in between tears, I came up with a plan to get Carson his chaps!! My daughter makes a pretty good Santa's elf, so she drove back into town on Christmas night and got Carson his chaps! She, too, was teary eyed when she got home!!
Folks, this little boy is facing incredibly odds and KNOWS IT...yet, he still smiles and laughs and is so very grateful for everything he has!!! When i got home, the only thing i wanted to do was to wrap my arms around my family and thank God for the fact that, while we do not have a fancy home or a brand new truck in the drive, we have our health and we were all together for Christmas!! Carson truly proved to be an Angel and I will never forget him!!
Thanks for letting me share his story with all of you and may we all be grateful for every "little" thing that we have!!!
God bless you all!!
kris

ranch wife.. my daughter also has CF. She is in her last year of university taking her nursing degree.It has been a tuff 4 yrs because she has also been sick a few times and had to take some make up days or spend time in spring and summer classes to catch up. but she should finish with the rest of her class in april if nothing comes up

It is amazing our many angels roam hospitals. You never know when you will be blessed to encounter them. They come in all forms. Thanks for sharing.

That's a Very nice thing you did you have a Heart of Gold.. :clap: :clap:

WOW, what a Christmas story. Let Jessica know we are proud of her for playing "elf". Thanks for all you do, RanchWife.

sw, Hanta Yo & Montana Cowgurl

Very nice story, ranchwife. Peach Blossom read it to our guests at the supper table tonight, and they were all quite moved and inspired by it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ranchwife,

As I was reading that I started to get heavy eyes. It really gets you thinking about how lucky we are to have our health. We all should thank God for each day when we get up. No matter how bad our days can be if we have our health we should be very thankful. That was very nice of your family to do that for the lil boy. You and your family truely are wonderful people and I hope we get a chance to meet you all. Hope you got our Christmas card.

What a lovely story. I got sniffly sittin here readin it. We all have so very much to be thankful for, each and every one of us, all the little things we take for granted from day to day. I know that lil boy had a wonderful Christmas, and I hope his mother gets well soon so she can be home with her family.

Les said:
ranch wife.. my daughter also has CF. She is in her last year of university taking her nursing degree.It has been a tuff 4 yrs because she has also been sick a few times and had to take some make up days or spend time in spring and summer classes to catch up. but she should finish with the rest of her class in april if nothing comes up

My heart and prayers to your daughter, Les!! Fortunately, medicine has come a long way in treatments for CF!! Unfortunately, still no cure :cry: My former brother-in-law (Jessica's uncle, brian) also has CF and is now getting ready to celebrate his 32nd birthday....not bad for someone who was not expected to live past the age of 4!! His health is quickly deteriorating, but he has really lived life to it's fullest, knowing how short and precious it can be!!
Good news is that "Carson's" mom did get to go home today to the "special surprise" awaiting her (Carson only told me that his mama had a surprise at home...not what it was, though :wink: )

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Ranchwife,

As I was reading that I started to get heavy eyes. It really gets you thinking about how lucky we are to have our health. We all should thank God for each day when we get up. No matter how bad our days can be if we have our health we should be very thankful. That was very nice of your family to do that for the lil boy. You and your family truely are wonderful people and I hope we get a chance to meet you all. Hope you got our Christmas card.

MR---no card, yet...but that does not surprise me!! My grandmother mailed me out a card on the 16th and I still have not received it and she only lives in Portland Oregon!! :roll:
Isn't it amazing how an innocent 5 year old boy can take a cranky nurse (no, I did not wanna be at work...I have not had a Christmas off in 4 years!!) and make her smile and cry at the same time!! I sure hope he had a wonderful "day-after-Christmas" with his mama and his daddy!!

Been There said:
That one was really touching and folks who have healthy kids should thank God every day.

Amen, been there!!! Just that most of us do not realize how verrrry lucky we are to have kids with 2 arms, 2 legs, the ability to walk and talk and hear and see....not to mention 2 healthy lungs to breathe!!! :wink:

Latest posts