• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My country-a site worth visiting.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A very interesting site. I'm going to have to spend a few hours to read it all. Bet you miss home.

Amazing what white people have done for those natives as far as life expectancy and quality of life.

The Blacks here now should be on their knees everyday thanking God their ancestors were shipped here.

Whitewing said:
A very interesting site. I'm going to have to spend a few hours to read it all. Bet you miss home.
I do miss my home as would anyone in similar circumstances, but we have to be realistic, and move on, I do feel a measure of pride for what we did achieve in a short time though.

andybob said:
Whitewing said:
I do miss my home as would anyone in similar circumstances, but we have to be realistic, and move on, I do feel a measure of pride for what we did achieve in a short time though.

Were you born there Andybob? How many years were you there? I've never asked much about your personal circumstances there but would love to hear more about ranching experiences.

Whitewing said:
Were you born there Andybob? How many years were you there? I've never asked much about your personal circumstances there but would love to hear more about ranching experiences.

Yes I am a "Rhodie" Whitewing, my hometown is Bulawayo, unique in many ways, but especially for the wide streets (designed to allow a team of 24 oxen to turn around with a waggon)
I left after 28 years with my family, built up my ranch from denuded bushveld, with no development at all,left a developed ranch fenced for rotational grazing, dams storing summer rain water, well built house, staff cottages and workshops, and a wildlife population that would be the envy of any game reserve, all part of my holistic goal, but now all gone!
I sold Tuli seedstock (started my herd while still at school, on my parents property) F1 heifers to commercial ranchers, and exported cattle and embtyos from 1978 till 1985. My neighbours an I mentored local subsistance farmers by training and donating bulls to improve their cattle, and built a school and clinic for them (staffed by the government).
I grew up in a time and place where hard work could achieve great rewards for everyone (my immediate neighbour was a 'local' Matabele school headmaster), just a pity for everyone that we were not allowed to continue developing our country and the people of all persuasions.

andybob said:
Whitewing said:

Yes I am a "Rhodie" Whitewing, my hometown is Bulawayo, unique in many ways, but especially for the wide streets (designed to allow a team of 24 oxen to turn around with a waggon)
I left after 28 years with my family, built up my ranch from denuded bushveld, with no development at all,left a developed ranch fenced for rotational grazing, dams storing summer rain water, well built house, staff cottages and workshops, and a wildlife population that would be the envy of any game reserve, all part of my holistic goal, but now all gone!
I sold Tuli seedstock (started my herd while still at school, on my parents property) F1 heifers to commercial ranchers, and exported cattle and embtyos from 1978 till 1985. My neighbours an I mentored local subsistance farmers by training and donating bulls to improve their cattle, and built a school and clinic for them (staffed by the government).
I grew up in a time and place where hard work could achieve great rewards for everyone (my immediate neighbour was a 'local' Matabele school headmaster), just a pity for everyone that we were not allowed to continue developing our country and the people of all persuasions.

Fascinating story indeed. Thanks for sharing some of those details with us. Wildlife management is something that interests me on my place as well.....heck, I graduated with a degree in Wildlife Biology.

Most Venezuelans practice "scorched earth" when it comes to wildlife populations like those of white-tailed deer. I've been encouraging my neighbor to let the does walk and only harvest bucks. Time will tell if we can build up decent populations....we've got everything the animals need to thrive....just need to protect the females for the time being as I believe we're no where near the carrying capacity.

Latest posts