• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My Turn

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Mrs Gcreek fed the last bunch of cows while I went for a load of hay today.
She had just finished rolling out the last bale and shifted the shuttle/reverser into reverse. Nothing happened. We have had problems of this nature before and most of the time can shift back to nuetral and cycle the shifter again. After trying forward and reverse a few more times she thought she would shut the tractor off and restart to see if that would reset anything. Tractor won't turn over. Then she got a nice 2 mile walk home in -15 and 20-30 mph wind.
The tractor is a JD 6410
All the indicator lights come on when the key is turned on but it will not activate starter. I tried changing diodes in the fuse panel around. Checked that no wires were ripped out/disconnected from the nuetral indicator/safety switch at the bottom of the transmission.
Battery is good>
There is another fuse/master switch under the dash, haven't got to that yet.
We decided to bring the other tractor home from where I am hauling from and dig deeper tommorow after we tow it home.
Any ideas?

could be one of the safety switches - neutral, pto or whatever - that isn't allowing juice through.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Get a team. :wink:

Horses, had a few, froze my butt, that's why we have cab tractors. Figured if I froze my butt off it would be the biggest loss we ever had.

Mechanics, cost to much, last resort. Where we are it is cheaper to haul it to them than pay the $1000 service call. Have been on the phone to the service manager though, he got me as far as I have gone. I imagine we will be talking again tommorow.

gcreekrch said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Get a team. :wink:

Horses, had a few, froze my butt, that's why we have cab tractors. Figured if I froze my butt off it would be the biggest loss we ever had.

Mechanics, cost to much, last resort. Where we are it is cheaper to haul it to them than pay the $1000 service call. Have been on the phone to the service manager though, he got me as far as I have gone. I imagine we will be talking again tommorow.

Ya shop time doesn't come cheap. All your fuses good?

I'm thinking along the same lines as don. Might be a safety switch acting up in the cold.

NOT that I recommend this :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: but if it is one of the safety switches acting up can you short the starter across the old non-approved way with a screwdriver (SAFETY FIRST, out of gear, of course) and get the tractor to crank?

Covered the obvious basics like clean and secure battery cable connections? Cold can do funny things to machinery.

gcreekrch said:
Mrs Gcreek fed the last bunch of cows while I went for a load of hay today.
She had just finished rolling out the last bale and shifted the shuttle/reverser into reverse. Nothing happened. We have had problems of this nature before and most of the time can shift back to nuetral and cycle the shifter again. After trying forward and reverse a few more times she thought she would shut the tractor off and restart to see if that would reset anything. Tractor won't turn over. Then she got a nice 2 mile walk home in -15 and 20-30 mph wind.
The tractor is a JD 6410
All the indicator lights come on when the key is turned on but it will not activate starter. I tried changing diodes in the fuse panel around. Checked that no wires were ripped out/disconnected from the nuetral indicator/safety switch at the bottom of the transmission.
Battery is good>
There is another fuse/master switch under the dash, haven't got to that yet.
We decided to bring the other tractor home from where I am hauling from and dig deeper tommorow after we tow it home.
Any ideas?

I bet Don is right,Sounds like a safety switch in the shuttle,get a service manual.............good luck

I'm quite sure it is a safety switch of some sort also. Was going to try jumping the starter across but JD has that plastic cover over some of the terminals and I didn't have much for tools with me.
One thing for sure, either time or money will fix the problem.

It's almost 40 below here again this morning.

Might need to purchase one of the portable arch buildings and set up over the tractor. Bring in a large propane tank and a couple of Herman Nelson's and work on this project in the warmth. 8)

It sounds to me like your shift linkage is out of whack. It probably doesn't push against the neutral safety switch until it's in the proper position. If you know where the switch is you may be able to wedge a stick or something in between. Be sure you have the clutch in when you start it if you try this.

per said:
Might need to purchase one of the portable arch buildings and set up over the tractor. Bring in a large propane tank and a couple of Herman Nelson's and work on this project in the warmth. 8)

Worse comes to worse, I will push it on the trailer and take it to a buddy's heated shop. After a couple shots of Christmas cheer it may be warm enough to work on. :D

As far as purchasing, oil stocks are getting close to being a buy again don't you think?

Yes I do although I heard predictions of 10$ oil just this morning. There are some great opportunities in this fear-mongering environment.

Dont know for sure if this is your problem or not,, But we have had many problems with left hand reverser on the 7and 6000 sers tractor, the only fix i know is to replace it.. If you would give me the ser# of this machine i could could probably give you the part# plus the US price ..

swiowajdman said:
Dont know for sure if this is your problem or not,, But we have had many problems with left hand reverser on the 7and 6000 sers tractor, the only fix i know is to replace it.. If you would give me the ser# of this machine i could could probably give you the part# plus the US price ..

Yeah and give me the serial number and I'll mortgage it too. :wink:

Got all the parts I might need coming on the freight truck. Diodes, neutral start switch, etc. What I don't use I can either keep for future use or send back. Hope it is as simple as the service manager thinks it is.

Thanks everyone for your advice. :D

If that tractor don't start you'll have to pull out your 14 up plowing hitch............I'm sure with that outfit along with your hotshot and brand new pitchfork you'll get the cows fed!! :p :lol:

good evening gcreekrch.this cold is getting old my quad would not start monday morning.the n.h7610 did so i was able to push snow&pack grain buckets in yard area tueday was colder and the n.h7610 would not turn over fast enough.got it started wed.morning.we are relying on the jd 6615 and the chev diesel to feed and haul feed from the meadow hoping this cold leaves soon it was -32 this morning

Latest posts