• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Name calling

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Name Calling

  • It is ok?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not care for it and wish it would stop.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion one way or the other.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Tam's posts yesterday got me to wondering how does everyone feel about all the name calling on here.
 

Shorty

Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2005
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Tommy you should have added another question to your poll.

Who is the biggest name caller?
My vote is SH by far.
 

Mrs.Greg

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
7,465
Reaction score
1
Location
Alberta
The name calling yesterday got WAY out of hand,isn't it better to try and get a point across with facts and sence! Once name calling starts minds close!!!! STUPID!! How about another poll about private messages being kept private??
 

RoperAB

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2006
Messages
1,435
Reaction score
0
Location
Alberta
I voted against personal attacks.
I havnt been personally attacked on here yet but I get the feeling its only a matter of time.
What gets me is in real life<face to face> nobody ever wants to fight. Everybody is polite. But on the internet people seem to be different.
Do they not think they are talking to a real person online?
Or is it because they know the other person cant reach out and punch their lights out?
I hope its the former.
Dont forget that you only see the written word on here. Example face to face my friends and I tend to be sarcasic. But its all said with a smile on the face and nobody takes it serious. On here you cant read the persons face or the meaning they intended. Only the written word which can be taken in different ways depending on the mood of the person who reads it.
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
Or maybe roper, this is just the site for those who have had a few black eyes and handed some back.

I am not going to say that name calling as a progressive thing, but humans are humans, and every one of us is different. If name calling was going to shut down ranchers.net bull session, it would have shut down long ago.

I hate to compare this site to Jerry Springer because even the most abrasive characters on here have more brains than Jerry himself, however this site is for those of us who can dole it and take it. Those who read it and run are welcome, but those who read it and can't understand the learning that can happen when two strong minds make a stand, should not be judgemental of us.

We are not criminals, we are all simply trying to express a view to others with just as strong an opinion. Most apologise at one point or another, and most will admit they have learned something from the one who called them a name.

There are lots of other places to go, even on the ranchers site if you don't like the heat of bull session.

Remember those days when we grabbed a bit of that 70's hair and let a few haymakers go, and then sat down and had a beer? It just doesnt' have the physical bruising here on ranchers bull session.

I have to say that if you can siphon off the crap, this site has the most education potential of any site I have encountered.
 

theHiredMansWife

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 6, 2005
Messages
1,191
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest corner of the Sandhills
We are not criminals, we are all simply trying to express a view to others with just as strong an opinion.


Victor.



Victor is a neighbor of mine, goes to my church, rings the bell... And in Sunday School, we've butted heads a few times. Nicely, of course.

Victor is one my favorite examples of a "good Christian." I disagree with him on many a socio-political occasion. We've had numerous conversations where we realize we are never going to see eye to eye on this. lol
But Victor respects my right to my opinion just as I respect his.

When we disagree it's always done with that in mind. We're both doing our best to do unto others while still maintaining our own values.

I truly care about Victor and I know he does me. Maybe because of our disagreements, even, rather than in spite of... :)
Whenever I run into someone online whom I disagree with, I think of Victor...

Disagreeing is fine. Debate is a lot of fun.
But name calling is for people who are just trying to be mean. It simply does not belong in an adult conversation.
 

Mrs.Greg

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
7,465
Reaction score
1
Location
Alberta
Roper made very valid points,very few people that a person doesn't get along with.I believe we would get along with most of these people on here if we met in person.Things that are being said on the net definatly wouldn't be said face to face.So think about if you met these people would you say what your saying to thier faces??
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
There have been quite a few good points made on this thread.

I rarely vote on the polls here. Just don't think they show much besides how 'popular' a person or idea is, rather than validity of the idea that person may hold.

RoperAB, maybe when you are attacked personally, you will understand some who do some name-calling. I have been viciously attacked many times for my beliefs and for correcting false statements on this site. The attacks on me included exposing who I am and where I live and naming a business my family and several other families unrelated to us own. I didn't think much about that at the time, but realize now that could be a danger to my family. Therefore I oppose it and particularly am disgusted by those who continue to call me by name after I have repeatedly asked them to stop. Some are the same people critical of those who call names, BTW.

The first person I know of that was "outed" on this site was SH. It was done in an attempt to cause him to lose his job, which I feel was very vicious and gives him considerable justification in calling names. BTW, has he called names on anyone who had not used quite derisive comments to him, if not actual name calling? I believe there is little difference in the two.

Remember, sarcasm, though often friendly, usually has a bite and it often does result in hurt, or even hard feelings between people.

I will continue to call a spade a spade, and rarely call names, anyway, unless it is to expose someone who is lying. Even then, I usually put it more gently than to say they are a liar.

MRJ
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
Name calling is what it is and won't stop until those that do it, stop it.

Develop a thick hide and move on or get off.

Name calling says more about the poster than the one being called a name. Unfortunately, it does limit some from posting here. Regrettably, it degenerates many good threads to a he said, she said insult fest. (No implications :wink: )

Like Randy said, that happens when strong minded people disagree over things they are passionate about.

Sorry, MRJ, but Jason was the first to be "self outed"...something I respect about him even if we have other disagreements.

I do agree with you that people should be addressed they want to be addressed here...by their correct moniker (yes, SH, I'm guilty of this too...you seem to being out the "best" in everyone. :D )

Name calling is just part of it...that's why we call it a BULL SESSION ...have fun!
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
This site is very educational, if something is happening in the World beef industry it will be on here. This is better than any news source in the world.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
RobertMac said:
Name calling is what it is and won't stop until those that do it, stop it.

Develop a thick hide and move on or get off.

Name calling says more about the poster than the one being called a name. Unfortunately, it does limit some from posting here. Regrettably, it degenerates many good threads to a he said, she said insult fest. (No implications :wink: )

Like Randy said, that happens when strong minded people disagree over things they are passionate about.

Sorry, MRJ, but Jason was the first to be "self outed"...something I respect about him even if we have other disagreements.

I do agree with you that people should be addressed they want to be addressed here...by their correct moniker (yes, SH, I'm guilty of this too...you seem to being out the "best" in everyone. :D )

Name calling is just part of it...that's why we call it a BULL SESSION ...have fun!

Namecalling is the worse form of slander and according to you on another thread nobody has the right to slander a person
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
RobertMac said:
Name calling is what it is and won't stop until those that do it, stop it.

Develop a thick hide and move on or get off.

Name calling says more about the poster than the one being called a name. Unfortunately, it does limit some from posting here. Regrettably, it degenerates many good threads to a he said, she said insult fest. (No implications :wink: )

Like Randy said, that happens when strong minded people disagree over things they are passionate about.

Sorry, MRJ, but Jason was the first to be "self outed"...something I respect about him even if we have other disagreements.

I do agree with you that people should be addressed they want to be addressed here...by their correct moniker (yes, SH, I'm guilty of this too...you seem to being out the "best" in everyone. :D )

Name calling is just part of it...that's why we call it a BULL SESSION ...have fun!

I didn't say SH was "self-outed".......didn't someone else identify him?

MRJ
 

ocm

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
779
Reaction score
0
MRJ said:
The first person I know of that was "outed" on this site was SH. It was done in an attempt to cause him to lose his job, which I feel was very vicious and gives him considerable justification in calling names. BTW, has he called names on anyone who had not used quite derisive comments to him, if not actual name calling? I believe there is little difference in the two.

MRJ

I don't believe I have ever called ~SH~ (or anybody else for that matter) any derogatory name. I do chide him for his lack of reading comprehension, but that is in response to a specific episode of lack of comprehension. And I will note how he holds liberal views of certain things. Any outing of him was done long before I joined the board and doesn't justify the name calling that I have been on the receiving end of. (I will let Sandbag and Conman speak for themselves [sarcasm]).
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
MRJ said:
I didn't say SH was "self-outed".......didn't someone else identify him?

MRJ

MRJ, my point was that the identity of several of us is known...look at all the people that link their websites. SH's identity being "outed" wasn't that big a deal...and how did it effect his job????????? :???: :?

Tam said:
Namecalling is the worse form of slander and according to you on another thread nobody has the right to slander a person.

And you can provide the quote to back your claim????????? :???: :eek: :shock: :wink:
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
RobertMac said:
MRJ said:
I didn't say SH was "self-outed".......didn't someone else identify him?

MRJ

MRJ, my point was that the identity of several of us is known...look at all the people that link their websites. SH's identity being "outed" wasn't that big a deal...and how did it effect his job????????? :???: :?

Tam said:
Namecalling is the worse form of slander and according to you on another thread nobody has the right to slander a person.

And you can provide the quote to back your claim????????? :???: :eek: :shock: :wink:
Sorry Robertmac but the statement was by Frenchie not you I'm Sorry
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
ocm said:
MRJ said:
The first person I know of that was "outed" on this site was SH. It was done in an attempt to cause him to lose his job, which I feel was very vicious and gives him considerable justification in calling names. BTW, has he called names on anyone who had not used quite derisive comments to him, if not actual name calling? I believe there is little difference in the two.

MRJ

I don't believe I have ever called ~SH~ (or anybody else for that matter) any derogatory name. I do chide him for his lack of reading comprehension, but that is in response to a specific episode of lack of comprehension. And I will note how he holds liberal views of certain things. Any outing of him was done long before I joined the board and doesn't justify the name calling that I have been on the receiving end of. (I will let Sandbag and Conman speak for themselves [sarcasm]).

I just think that finally this is being taken seriously. I disagree with my wife 95% of the time on the little things but I NEVER call her names. It should be that way with everyone. It is not in my nature so I come up with creative ways to ferret it out. We should all be able to agree to disagree and walk away without name calling.

I do remember one time I apologized to MRJ and she did not recipocate but just accepted my apology (seemed a little snooty to me at the time). I don't want to call people names, but I do want to argue the points with LOGIC and information. It is not fair for one side of this group to call names and the other side to nicely sit back and take it. Name calling is what you do when you don't have enough logic to make a point.
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,257
Reaction score
42
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
One time when we were kids, my sisters and I were playing cards. I did something to offend one of them, and she called me a "darn dirty Democrat". Now that hurt. :cry:
 

rkaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary Alberta
Now we're talking soapweed.

Does MRJ want Econo to repent for calling her a snoot.

Words are powerful but also over rated.
 

S.S.A.P.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
863
Reaction score
1
Location
Saskatchewan
Econ101 said:
I don't want to call people names, but I do want to argue the points with LOGIC and information. It is not fair for one side of this group to call names and the other side to nicely sit back and take it. Name calling is what you do when you don't have enough logic to make a point.

Econ101 - do you mean when you do it like this?

posted by econ101: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 am

Like I said, it is too bad you don't have the abilty to tell the difference. If you are too dumb to know the difference between right and wrong, black and white, good or bad, what good are you? In this case, ignorance is no excuse.

http://ranchers.net/forum/post-79765.html#79765


Which was econs response to this:
S.S.A.P. said:
Econ writes:
Agman, ............Your little personal question about someone's kids take the cake. ...........
Now from Econ's valued piece authored by Michael Hodges :
ACKNOWLEDGMENT - - and, about the Author
Creation of this Grandfather Economic Report series was inspired by
the beautiful, trusting, and loving eyes of my infant grandchildren
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Econ
I don't want to call people names, but I do want to argue the points with LOGIC and information. It is not fair for one side of this group to call names and the other side to nicely sit back and take it. Name calling is what you do when you don't have enough logic to make a point.
the only information we learned for you yesterday is how low you will sink to get your point across. :roll:

As far as the "sick analogies", if the shoe fits, wear it.
 

Latest posts

Top