• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nanny City

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
just when you thought you saw the limits of a nanny state...

Bloomberg Implements Program to Make New Mothers Breast Feed

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has taken steps to push hospitals to guide new mothers away from baby formula so that they will breast-feed instead.

Starting Sept. 3, the city will track how many formula bottles participating hospitals purchase and use, constituting the strongest pro-breast-feeding program in the nation, the New York Post reports.

Of the city's 40 hospitals, 27 have signed up for the Health Department's voluntary "Latch On NYC" program. They have agreed to give up passing out freebies such as swag bags with formula-company logos and formula-branded mini gifts such as lanyards and mugs. The 27 hospitals also will document a medical reason for every bottle that an infant receives.

Baby formula will be stored in isolated, secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to distribute and track medications. When a mother receives a bottle, she'll also get an explanation from hospital staffers as to why she should breast-feed instead.

As you can imagine, many mothers and expectant mothers are less than thrilled by the idea. "If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed," Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, ages 4 months and 9 years, told the Post. "It's for me to choose."

Hospital officials emphasize that mothers won't be denied formula. "It's the patient's choice," Allison Walsh of Beth Israel Medical Center told the Post. "But it's our job to educate them on the best option."

Lisa Paladino of Staten Island University Hospital told the Post, "The key to getting more moms to breast-feed is making the formula less accessible. This way, the RN [registered nurse] has to sign out the formula like any other medication. The nurse's aide can't just go grab another bottle."

what's next for great leader??

:D hahahahahaha oh boy.... I can't stop laughing.

I wish I could go watch this play out.

Some liberal nurse is going to tell a brand new Mama Bear that just ripped open her lower abdomen pushing out an 8lb bundle, undergoing maximal hormonal swing she has ever experienced in her life, with a screaming infant at 2 am and has suddenly realized she is responsible for something that she doesn't think she knows how to care for...... that she can't have a bottle..... oh man......hahaha there is definately going to be a nurse shortage up there.

Maybe someone will get some phone video for the rest of us to enjoy.

I think I'd rather be placed barefoot in a sticker patch, handcuffed and shakled with my pants at my ankles and a big red target on the back of my skippy's in front of a chute releasing a longhorn/jersy cross mature bull that had vice grips recently applied to his bull-hood, than be one of those nurses. At least with the bull, you have a chance.

okf I want see the video too. Love to see bloombutt tell that to my sister when she had her kids. He would have walked out of her room with his butt around his shoulders! :lol: :lol:

Is this some sort of "war on women" or smoething? Whatever happened to "her body, her choice"?

I thought the Dems. were the party of "a women's right to choose"

Be careful what you wish for Dems./Liberals

Latest posts