• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

National Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Agman, "The problem with allowing the boarder to remain closed is that plant expansion in Canada will allow them to capture the added value from processing a raw material, cattle, into a finished product. Only a true fool or blind follower of R- calf would fail to realize this."

So I guess the better alternative is to close our eyes and let the USDA sell out a health policy that had been working as intended for the economic gain of a few? That seems very foolish to me.

What is also foolish is to ignore that the Canadian "them" in your post, for the most part, is not "them" as in Canadians, but "them" as in the same US multi-national packers who capture the added value down here.
"So I guess the better alternative is to close our eyes and let the USDA sell out a health policy that had been working as intended"

Could you explain that one?

Sandhusker said:
Tam, "Sandhusker can you tell me whos work force is adding that value and whos country will be beneifiting from the economic spin offs from that added value work force.?"

In the US's case, not as much as would be in Canada. A huge amount of the paychecks get sent to Mexico. I think we've been thru that before.

You know, first we are told that we shouldn't worry about Canadian cattle as they are only a fraction of the US kill, and then we are warned about the dire economic consequences of Canada killing their own? I don't understand (actually, I do) :wink:

Sandhusker do you think those Mexican workers are just going to go back to Mexico or do you think they will take a job from another US citizen and still send that money back and put that US citizen on welfare. They will either be working in the slaughter plants or somewhere else but you can bet they aren't going anywhere and neither is the Canadian beef industry.

Sandhusker said:
[
Don' be giving me any guff about "parroting R-CALF's claims", even though their claim is right. I've been crabbing about the sell-out for many moons.

We all know adding value to raw product makes money. I haven't disputed that, so your strawman tactic falls down. I simply pointed out that it's the same folks adding the value on either side of the border. You want to tell me that is not the case?

Whow, I guess you don't like to be put on the spot for parroting R-Calf.

I believe you should be intelligent enough to distinguish between a company with plants in Canada and the U.S. and the derived benefits beyond the named company. If you cannot make that distinction then you are in way over your head on this subject.

agman said:
Sandhusker said:
[
Don' be giving me any guff about "parroting R-CALF's claims", even though their claim is right. I've been crabbing about the sell-out for many moons.

We all know adding value to raw product makes money. I haven't disputed that, so your strawman tactic falls down. I simply pointed out that it's the same folks adding the value on either side of the border. You want to tell me that is not the case?

Whow, I guess you don't like to be put on the spot for parroting R-Calf.

I believe you should be intelligent enough to distinguish between a company with plants in Canada and the U.S. and the derived benefits beyond the named company. If you cannot make that distinction then you are in way over your head on this subject.

I'm not parroting R-CALF, oh McCaw of the AMI. Simply stating my own beliefs garnered via my own eyes.

I do realize a Tyson plant in Nebraska does me more good than a Tyson plant in Alberta. I also realilze that a packing plant comprised of a mainly mexican workforce does not have near the positive economic boost a manufacturing plant comprised of semi-locals has. Mostly, I realize that a few packing jobs is not worth the price of compromising a strong health policy on a disease that could devestate the US cattle industry.

What bothers me is the misleading statement that the "Canadians" are building capacity, when it is mostly the Americans already in Canada. I should not be surprised - self serving BS is the modus operandi for the AMI, and some are simply not bright enough to sift thru the chaff.

Bill, "Could you explain that one? "

When BSE was recognized as the serious threat that it is to our cattle industry, the USDA wisely instituted a zero tolerance policy towards countries that contracted the disease, as did your own country. When a country was found to have it, the borders shut immediately to cattle and beef products. Both the US and Canada followed this policy for years and closed their borders to countries as the disease cropped up in them, 20 something countries in all. After the border closed, that was pretty much it, and there was no talk of reopening those borders any time soon.

That changed when BSE apeared in Canada. Three days after Canada's first discovery, the AMI and the USDA both began talking about reopening the border. They had not done so with any of the other countries who had been denied our markets. Why was Canada different? Was Canada's case a less virulent strain? Was it in an animal that just got off the boat? Ask yourself why? While you're at it, ask Agman, he goes to boardroom meetings and has people who tell him things. After a quick call to the AMI via the red phone on his desk, he'll give you the company line.

Sandhusker said:
agman said:
Sandhusker said:
[

I'm not parroting R-CALF, oh McCaw of the AMI. Simply stating my own beliefs garnered via my own eyes.

I do realize a Tyson plant in Nebraska does me more good than a Tyson plant in Alberta. I also realilze that a packing plant comprised of a mainly mexican workforce does not have near the positive economic boost a manufacturing plant comprised of semi-locals has. Mostly, I realize that a few packing jobs is not worth the price of compromising a strong health policy on a disease that could devestate the US cattle industry.

What bothers me is the misleading statement that the "Canadians" are building capacity, when it is mostly the Americans already in Canada. I should not be surprised - self serving BS is the modus operandi for the AMI, and some are simply not bright enough to sift thru the chaff.

Is BSE contagious-NO? The is no evidence that would lead anyone to believe that. That shoots down you health concern. What is protecting people's health is the removal of SRM's. That shoots down your health theory also. What else can you parrot that R-Calf has brainwashed you into believing? Some are bright enough to sift through the chaff as you call it.

Excuse me, but you seem to be confused over ownership of plants versus the location of those plants. The impact on each country and its producers will differ. One benefits while one losses. Care to make a choice on your own or must you consult will Bullard or Leo first? BTW, not all of the slaughter capacity expansion in Canada is by Tyson and Excel or have you failed to notice? Did you overlook that point in your haste and blind ambition to blame the two large packers?

Agman, "Is BSE contagious-NO? The is no evidence that would lead anyone to believe that. That shoots down you health concern. What is protecting people's health is the removal of SRM's. That shoots down your health theory also. What else can you parrot that R-Calf has brainwashed you into believing? Some are bright enough to sift through the chaff as you call it."

Was Canada removing SRMs three days after discovery of their first case when the USDA and AMI were bringing up the idea of reestablishing trade? NO. Did Mike ever get you straightened out on what SRMs were?

Agman, "Excuse me, but you seem to be confused over ownership of plants versus the location of those plants. The impact on each country and its producers will differ. One benefits while one losses. Care to make a choice on your own or must you consult will Bullard or Leo first? BTW, not all of the slaughter capacity expansion in Canada is by Tyson and Excel or have you failed to notice? Did you overlook that point in your haste and blind ambition to blame the two large packers?"

Who controls the majority of "Canadian" packing now? Who will control the majority after this much to be feared expansion?

Sandhusker said:
Agman, "Is BSE contagious-NO? The is no evidence that would lead anyone to believe that. That shoots down you health concern. What is protecting people's health is the removal of SRM's. That shoots down your health theory also. What else can you parrot that R-Calf has brainwashed you into believing? Some are bright enough to sift through the chaff as you call it."

Was Canada removing SRMs three days after discovery of their first case when the USDA and AMI were bringing up the idea of reestablishing trade? NO. Did Mike ever get you straightened out on what SRMs were?

Who controls the majority of "Canadian" packing now? Who will control the majority after this much to be feared expansion?

Response...It is hard to wiggle when you have placed yourself, Sandhusker, into a straight jacket. Do yourself a favor and just admit you are in over your head on this one. Simply put, you don't even understand the issue much less draw the proper conclusions.

Latest posts