• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

National parks, blm, etc

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
Got a call from promark - Houston. One of the questions they asked was something like - would a candidate advocating the sale of public land including national forest ground to put towards the debt appeal to you or not?

Is that actually on the table?

it has been on the table for awhile..

how it is often described just depends on how extreme the view is..

some want the states to control the land within their borders.. others want a total sell off..

here is one attempt to at least get them to sell some of it..

Republicans Seek to Sell Off Disposable Federal Real Estate to Help Pay Debt

Three Republican lawmakers are seeking to force Uncle Sam to sell about 3.3 million acres of land he no longer needs to help pay down the national debt.

Sens. John McCain of Arizona, Mike Lee of Utah and Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah introduced legislation this week in their respective chambers that would order Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to dispose of the federal property that the Clinton administration identified in a 1997 report as suitable for sale.

The lands are located in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Wyoming and amounts to roughly 1 percent of all land managed by the Bureau of Land Management and less than one half of 1 percent of all federal land, the lawmakers said.

Sen. Mike Lee said the sale of the land alone could generate more than $1 billion and lead to strong economic development.

"That will mean jobs, future growth, and better prosperity for the surrounding areas," he said.

Chaffetz said, "While there are national treasuries worthy of federal protection, there are lands that should be returned to private ownership. If the land serves no public purpose, and is 'identified for disposal' let's return it to private ownership."

one could say the federal government is a hoarder , they can't afford to maintain the land.. but they will not give it up. and given a chance,.. they grab more..

Broke Cowboy said:
hypocritexposer said:
What would be wrong with selling it to the state?

Probably nothing but it would likely be bought up by people like Ted Turner

bc

Or the World Wildlife Fund/ American Prairie Foundation which has been buying up many of the large ranchs (and getting control of the government allotments that go with them) on the northern prairies to turn it all back into a "Serengeti of the plains" where the deer, antelope, and buffalo can roam free...
They have many more millionaires besides Ted Turner bankrolling them... And I still believe that Turner has his estate set up so that all his buffalo land goes to one of these groups...

But if you follow some of these agriculture chatsites- there are many farmer/ranchers, especially east of the Mississippi/mid west, that see BLM/Forest Service grazing leases as government subsidies to the western ranchers and are backing having them sold and the government get out of the land business....

One of the propositions in the failed Bowles/Simpson plan to cut the deficit and bring in more money to the government, was the sale of much of this government land to get in on the tax rolls ....

was the sale of much of this government land to get in on the tax rolls ....

and that would work fine,.. but do the large non-profits pay property tax?

Nonprofits are also exempt from paying sales and property taxes.

generally I would say NO.. and that gives them a huge advantage..

in my opinion all land should either be taxed.. or tax free.. giving environmental corporations a tax advantage just hurts everyone else..

that see BLM/Forest Service grazing leases as government subsidies to the western ranchers

I would have no problem with grazing permits land being sold,.. but those who have invested in them.. the permit holders, .. should get first option to purchase..

selling out to the highest bidder likely will cost more in lost tax revenue over the years then the meager upfront cash gains ..

this is a real complicated issue and can't be a government surplus fire sale.. or the end results would be worse then doing nothing..

Steve said:
was the sale of much of this government land to get in on the tax rolls ....

and that would work fine,.. but do the large non-profits pay property tax?

Nonprofits are also exempt from paying sales and property taxes.

generally I would say NO.. and that gives them a huge advantage..

in my opinion all land should either be taxed.. or tax free.. giving environmental corporations a tax advantage just hurts everyone else..

No property or death taxes on land controlled by "green" groups would mean that they could hold land forever with no further cost, where family farms and ranches will be turned over and over.

OT, if you are so against the actions of the green groups, why do you keep voting for their hustlers?

Ok let's backup a step, if the government hadnt been spending more than they were taking in they wouldn't have NEEDED to do this.

heck sell it to China and then when that money runs out find something to sell...yep that'll solve it all

Larrry said:
Ok let's backup a step, if the government hadnt been spending more than they were taking in they wouldn't have NEEDED to do this.

heck sell it to China and then when that money runs out find something to sell...yep that'll solve it all

I have seen where China is interested in taking Nebraska Kansas Iowa and Illinois as payment for our debt....

Jefferson made a nice investment by buying the Louisiana purchase, huh?

The growth of this country was financed by selling it's land to settlers.

iwannabeacowboy said:
OT, if you are so against the actions of the green groups, why do you keep voting for their hustlers?

Nixon
Carter once
Reagan
Perot
GW
Obama once
Gary Johnson

I don't know if these could be all considered hustlers for green groups- but this is how I've voted in my lifetime... Voted for a Dem President twice- and that is when the Republican ahead of him (which I stupidly had supported) became apparent he was such a crook and/or so worthless that it was apparent a major change was needed...
Otherwise- pretty much voted for the person running not the party...

Oldtimer said:
iwannabeacowboy said:

Nixon
Carter once
Reagan
Perot
GW
Obama once
Gary Johnson

I don't know if these could be all considered hustlers for green groups- but this is how I've voted in my lifetime... Voted for a Dem President twice- and that is when the Republican ahead of him (which I stupidly had supported) became apparent he was such a crook and/or so worthless that it was apparent a major change was needed...

That explains why you only had one term as sheriff of Valley county,,, people saw thru you :wink:

Now if I was to believe you voted that way....just what the freak are your core values. They bounce around more than a superball

It already belongs to the states. It can't be sold back to the states because they already own them. When states became states all the land that fell within the states boundaries was to run and maintained by those states. Look at a map showing so called public land. Not much of it toward the east. It's time these western states take back these lands and maintain them for themselves. God knows the government has done a piss poor job. All the government does is listen to the tree huggers and ignores my right to graze cattle. I don't live in a territory. I live in a state with its own leadership and laws and boundaries. And that's how this country was intended to be run. Plain and simple.

Oldtimer said:
iwannabeacowboy said:

Nixon
Carter once
Reagan
Perot
GW
Obama once
Gary Johnson

Doesn't add up. I don't see you voting for GW twice, and I don't think Perot ran in three Presidential election cycles.

loomixguy said:
Oldtimer said:
iwannabeacowboy said:

Nixon
Carter once
Reagan
Perot
GW
Obama once
Gary Johnson

Doesn't add up. I don't see you voting for GW twice, and I don't think Perot ran in three Presidential election cycles.

Well I did vote for GW twice-- as I thought we shouldn't change horses mid stream of a war and it didn't become apparent to me he was bankrupting the country until about 2005...

As far as GHW I had forgot all about him...He was a likeable cuss- but like GW didn't have any touch with the real world... I believe I did vote for him.. Definitely did not vote for Dukakis... But that also may have been one of the times I cast a vote for Ron Paul... I can't remember for sure....I don't even remember what platform GHW ran on- except that he had been Vice President.. I do remember that I liked Dole better than GHW...

Latest posts