• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NB NIMBY's joining Greeny Weenies in opposing XL Pipeline

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Looks like the NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard) and the Greeny Weenies are joining hands and singing Kumbayaa in Nebraska to kill the the XL pipeline...And the sad thing- in a state which I thought was a little bit conservative at least- the Governor and most their Congressional delegation are some of the biggest NIMBY's....

Guess Nebraskans figure we should just keep paying off the Arabs for whatever price they ask for oil... :( :mad: But they will probably be the first to beetch when gas prices raise :roll:

Lawsuit Challenges Keystone XL Pipeline
general admin posted on October 05, 2011 13:31 :: 82 Views

The following is a press release from the Center for Biological Diversity, Western Nebraska Resources Council and Friends of the Earth:

OMAHA, Neb.— The Center for Biological Diversity, Western Nebraska Resources Council and Friends of the Earth sued the State Department and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today to stop illegal construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, a sprawling, 1,700-mile project designed to transport tar-sands oil from Canada to Texas.

Although the State Department has not yet completed its review of the controversial project and last week held public meetings in Lincoln and Atkinson, Nebraska, that were attended by hundreds of citizens opposed to the project, the department and the Fish and Wildlife Service are already allowing TransCanada to clear the proposed pipeline route. Today's lawsuit challenges work that the company has started in Nebraska and cites the agencies for violating the National Environmental Policy Act, which prohibits commencement of a project before it has been approved.

"It's outrageous that TransCanada is already clearing the way for the Keystone XL pipeline before the public has had a chance to have its say and, indeed, before federal agencies have even said it can be built," said Noah Greenwald, endangered species program director at the Center for Biological Diversity. "It looks like the fix is in on this dangerous project, and the sham public process is nothing more than an afterthought."

Quietly, the State Department and Fish and Wildlife Service have allowed TransCanada to mow a pipeline corridor through about 100 miles of native prairie grasslands in Nebraska's Sandhills and to remove endangered species living in the corridor.

In granting this permission, the State Department has provided proof that it is not truly committed to conducting the legally mandated environmental impact statement or the national interest determination in an impartial, science-based manner. State Department documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act and made public Monday by Friends of the Earth also confirm a review process irrevocably tainted by department employees' pro-pipeline bias and complicit relationships with industry executives.

"The State Department has further confirmed that it is running a corrupt review process by giving TransCanada a green light to begin construction," said Erich Pica, president of Friends of the Earth. "It makes a mockery of the public and sends a message to Nebraskans that their concerns don't matter. If the State Department was truly doing its job, this lawsuit wouldn't be necessary. President Obama must revoke the State Department's authority to review the Keystone XL pipeline in order to restore the public's trust."

The proposed Keystone XL pipeline would carry up to 830,000 barrels of oil strip-mined from Canada's "tar sands" across Nebraska's legendary Sandhills and hundreds of rivers and streams; it will pass directly over the Ogallala Aquifer, which is a source of drinking water for millions of Americans and a major source of water for agriculture. TransCanada's existing Keystone I tar sands pipeline has reportedly leaked 14 times since it went into operation in June 2010.

"The Keystone XL pipeline is a highly controversial project because of its tremendous impacts on our land, air, water and wildlife, and should not be approved," said Bruce McIntosh, ecologist with the Western Nebraska Resources Council. "At the very least, construction of the pipeline route through the most controversial section should not be proceeding until a final decision is made, following public hearings and a determination of whether this pipeline is really in the national interest."

I hate that for the Koch Bros. They are big players in the pipeline and great employers.......................

so government gone wild is breaking the law---- AGAIN!

Today's lawsuit challenges work that the company has started in Nebraska and cites the agencies for violating the National Environmental Policy Act, which prohibits commencement of a project before it has been approved.

"It's outrageous that TransCanada is already clearing the way for the Keystone XL pipeline before the public has had a chance to have its say and, indeed, before federal agencies have even said it can be built," said Noah Greenwald, endangered species program director at the Center for Biological Diversity. "It looks like the fix is in on this dangerous project, and the sham public process is nothing more than an afterthought."

Mike said:
I hate that for the Koch Bros. They are big players in the pipeline and great employers.......................

Nebraska Governor Tries to Block Oil Pipeline From Canada

BY BEN LEFEBVRE -WSJ
HOUSTON—Nebraska's governor asked the federal government Wednesday to deny TransCanada Corp. a permit needed for a pipeline expansion that would dramatically boost the amount of Canadian crude oil delivered to refiners in the Midwest and the Gulf of Mexico.

In a letter to President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Gov. Dave Heineman expressed concern that TransCanada's proposed Keystone XL pipeline could damage the state's Ogallala Aquifer, a major source of water in the region, over which the pipeline would cross.

Yep it appears the Nebraska Governor doesn't think the Democrat Obama administration has put in enough regulations and oversight ! :???:

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

Nebraska Governor Tries to Block Oil Pipeline From Canada

BY BEN LEFEBVRE -WSJ
HOUSTON—Nebraska's governor asked the federal government Wednesday to deny TransCanada Corp. a permit needed for a pipeline expansion that would dramatically boost the amount of Canadian crude oil delivered to refiners in the Midwest and the Gulf of Mexico.

In a letter to President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Gov. Dave Heineman expressed concern that TransCanada's proposed Keystone XL pipeline could damage the state's Ogallala Aquifer, a major source of water in the region, over which the pipeline would cross.

Yep it appears the Nebraska Governor doesn't think the Democrat Obama administration has put in enough regulations and oversight ! :???:

That's not the case...but since when have you waited until you had all the facts to start flapping your mouth.

If they would move the pipeline east 100 to 125 miles I don't think there would be any trouble. There will be a spill someday and we need to protect the Ogallala Aquifer. Also do you know that China has a lot of money in that oil feild. Where do you think the fuel will go?

Old Mouthflapper doesn't care where the oil will go, or the pipeline, or about much of anything else...he just wants to bust a Repub's balls.....in this case Heineman.....even before he has all the facts.....

Buyer said:
If they would move the pipeline east 100 to 125 miles I don't think there would be any trouble. There will be a spill someday and we need to protect the Ogallala Aquifer. Also do you know that China has a lot of money in that oil feild. Where do you think the fuel will go?

Buyer- did you know that the Bakken field (ND, MT, SD) has a loading port for oil into that pipeline also- to put UNITED STATES "domestic" oil into the pipeline to go to the refineries....

Do you think a Republican administration will require more restrictions/oversight from the Kochs- who happen to be some of the biggest conservative/Republican funding donaters in the nation.. :???:

Do you also oppose offshore drilling :???: How about drilling on the Rocky Mountain front- or ANWAR :???:

If the safety regulations are not good enough for Nebraska/Ogalla Aquifer- then how can they be adequate for drilling in any of the other areas the Repubs/conservatives keep yelling "DRILL BABY DRILL" in :???: Do you think the Dems should throw on more regulations/restrictions :???:

Sounds to me like a lot of folks that again are talking the talk about domestic energy production- but don't want to walk the walk when it involves their backyard.... :( :mad:

NIMBYS :roll:

facts are stubborn little critters:

"meet or exceed world-class safety and environmental standards."

That was a statement from TransCanada CEO Hal Kvisle in June 2010 about the commissioning of the company's new Keystone pipeline built to bring Canadian tar sands crude from Alberta to refineries in the Midwest. One year later, the company has seen twelve oil spills from its brand new, state-of-the art pipeline — with one "six-story geyser" dumping 21,000 gallons of oil in North Dakota.

here is a link to a very good map, I wish I could get it to post here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/keystone-pipeline-infographic_n_941069.html

BULLPUCKEY! Enough of your BS, you sanctimonious old windbag!!

You, like always, fail to get the whole story. IF, like Buyer said, XL would agree to move the pipeline just a ways east, all would be well.

Moving the pipeline would ease the fears of a spill damaging the aquifer (which encompasses around 7 states). If said pipeline was moved, I don't think there would be much protest, as we need jobs in this state that the pipeline would provide. That is all Heineman wants, is the pipeline moved. It's not a case of not in my backyard, it's about protecting the Ogallalla Aquifer. We don't want a BP type problem.

It appears the cart got put ahead of the horse, with preliminary work starting before the all clear was given. THAT's what the lawsuit is about.

Yes I know that Bakken oil will be in that pipeline they need it to make it flow. Im not aginst the pipeline just where they want to put it. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was your water then what?

Buyer said:
Yes I know that Bakken oil will be in that pipeline they need it to make it flow. Im not aginst the pipeline just where they want to put it. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was your water then what?

I have one pipeline going just north of me...It was built in the early 80's.. I had concerns when they first announced it and were building it-- but today IF you didn't know where it was (and even sometimes when you do) IF it wasn't for the intermittent signs they put up marking it you couldn't find it....
And it was a huge boost to the local economy- with some of the highest paying jobs both while they were building it and for permanent maintenance folks....

The XL is proposed to go thru just south west of one of my pastures- it will go under the Missouri river just east of me- and I gain nothing personally from it (actually probably lose from the prices the stores will charge for things during the days of construction and the huge influx of people with the planned mancamps) - but I have no fears of it and support it 110%....From what I've seen of their preplanning- and meeting the most stringent of enviromental regulations I have no worries...And I'm not a Koch supporter- just like some of my posts have said....

Either we move forward as a country and survive/thrive- or we wilt on the vine further and let these other countries pass as by as the superpowers...

So I hope I never hear another Nebraskan bitch about their gas, fuel oil, energy, or cake prices !!!

Oldtimer said:
Buyer said:

I have one pipeline going just north of me...It was built in the early 80's.. I had concerns when they first announced it and were building it-- but today IF you didn't know where it was (and even sometimes when you do) IF it wasn't for the intermittent signs they put up marking it you couldn't find it....
And it was a huge boost to the local economy- with some of the highest paying jobs both while they were building it and for permanent maintenance folks....

The XL is proposed to go thru just south west of one of my pastures- it will go under the Missouri river just east of me- and I gain nothing personally from it (actually probably lose from the prices the stores will charge for things during the days of construction and the huge influx of people with the planned mancamps) - but I have no fears of it and support it 110%....From what I've seen of their preplanning- and meeting the most stringent of enviromental regulations I have no worries...And I'm not a Koch supporter- just like some of my posts have said....

Either we move forward as a country and survive/thrive- or we wilt on the vine further and let these other countries pass as by as the superpowers...

So I hope I never hear another Nebraskan bitch about their gas, fuel oil, energy, or cake prices !!!

You are kind of a pure grade A basket case, Oldtimer. I try to refrain from personal attacks, but your fancy opinion of yourself and your Liberal stupidity tends to get real old real fast. For the record, I don't have any land that is affected by the pipeline, but IF I DID, I would probably be in favor of having it cross our ranch. Maybe there would even be a service road that would make getting to our far pastures much easier. Since I don't have any land affected by the pipeline, I don't feel it is any of my business what the ones that do have think about the situation.

You Liberals have always complained about the "pack mentality" of the Conservatives. You are the ones that have the pack mentality. You think just because I live in Nebraska, I am automatically against the pipeline. As far as "bitching about gas, fuel, energy, or cake prices," my comment wasn't meant to be complaining. I was merely pointing out that just because cattle prices are up twenty percent from a year ago, with cake prices up fifty percent, and fuel prices up significantly, the extra twenty percent doesn't go as far as one would think it would. Your moderator methods of deleting posts that don't make you look good are typical of any other Liberal elitist. You want everyone to "follow the rules" but yourself. You are disgusting.

You want everyone to "follow the rules" but yourself. You are disgusting..

Thats kind of the feeling I get about people like your Governor and Congressmen that loudly talk the talk "DRILL, BABY, DRILL"- but when its time to walk the walk and actually help the nation reduce the dependence on Arab/Venezuelan oil -- scream bloody murder about "NOT IN MY BACKYARD"...

Just for everyones info- besides years of planning and enviromental studies- the XL pipeline already did get a tentative approval from both the EPA and the State Department....

Analysts: Expect Keystone XL Pipeline Approval

Mon, Sep 19, 2011
Feature Articles, Oil Articles
Post by Robert Sullivan, Oil Reporter

Having secured the all-clear from a US Department of State (DOS) Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on August 26th, analysts believe an expected decision by the end of the year from the White House on TransCanada Corp's (TSE:TRP) proposed Keystone XL pipeline will grant the project a long-awaited final approval, paving the way for construction which TransCanada hopes will be wrapped up as early as late 2013.

The EIS, which concluded that "there would be no significant impacts to most resources along the proposed Project corridor", represented one of the last major hurdles for the Keystone XL pipeline, which now will undergo a final review from the DOS to determine whether the pipeline is in the national interest. This final phase will look at broader issues including energy security and foreign policy, and involve consultations with a range of US governmental agencies, as well as discussions with the six states the pipeline is set to travel through.

My question to Soap is- do you believe that the Enviromental Study done under a Democrat administration would be less stringent than one done under a Republican administration... :???:

Or do you believe the Kochs are funneling money to fund the Democrats and Obama administration :roll: :???:

Oldtimer said:
You want everyone to "follow the rules" but yourself. You are disgusting..

Thats kind of the feeling I get about people like your Governor and Congressmen that loudly talk the talk "DRILL, BABY, DRILL"- but when its time to walk the walk and actually help the nation reduce the dependence on Arab/Venezuelan oil -- scream bloody murder about "NOT IN MY BACKYARD"...

Just for everyones info- besides years of planning and enviromental studies- the XL pipeline already did get a tentative approval from both the EPA and the State Department....

Mon, Sep 19, 2011

Having secured the all-clear from a US Department of State (DOS) Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on August 26th, analysts believe an expected decision by the end of the year from the White House on TransCanada Corp's (TSE:TRP) proposed Keystone XL pipeline will grant the project a long-awaited final approval, paving the way for construction which TransCanada hopes will be wrapped up as early as late 2013.

The EIS, which concluded that "there would be no significant impacts to most resources along the proposed Project corridor", represented one of the last major hurdles for the Keystone XL pipeline, which now will undergo a final review from the DOS to determine whether the pipeline is in the national interest. This final phase will look at broader issues including energy security and foreign policy, and involve consultations with a range of US governmental agencies, as well as discussions with the six states the pipeline is set to travel through.

My question to Soap is- do you believe that the Enviromental Study done under a Democrat administration would be less stringent than one done under a Republican administration... :???:

Or do you believe the Kochs are funneling money to fund the Democrats and Obama administration :roll: :???:

I haven't studied the deal enough to have any thoughts one way or the other on the project. My gripe with you, though, is that you are trying to put words in my mouth, and telling the world what I am thinking. As a matter of fact, you don't know. You are getting far too big for your britches.

How many pipelines already cross the body of water that the XL protesters are worried about?

XL will not be the first, not the last, but we never hear of the good record that pipelines have in North America.

Mon, Sep 19, 2011

"Tenative approval"? Since when does "expect approval" mean it's a done deal? It's like being pregnant. You either is or you ain't. Well, the pipeline ain't approved yet, no matter how much want it to be, Mouth Breather. It doesn't matter what party affiliation an administration has, the pipeline does not have final approval. It doesn't matter what gas, fuel oil, energy, or cake prices are...the pipeline doesn't have final approval. It doesn't matter what state you live in, or that state's Governor's political affiliation, the pipeline doesn't have final approval. Doesn't matter whether the skid marks in your shorts are light or dark, the pipeline doesn't have final approval. How many times must it be repeated that the pipeline doesn't have final approval before it soaks into your whiskey soaked brain?

Your imagined influence and self importance have pretty well hit a brick wall.

loomixguy said:

Mon, Sep 19, 2011

"Tenative approval"? Since when does "expect approval" mean it's a done deal? It's like being pregnant. You either is or you ain't. Well, the pipeline ain't approved yet, no matter how much want it to be, Mouth Breather. It doesn't matter what party affiliation an administration has, the pipeline does not have final approval. It doesn't matter what gas, fuel oil, energy, or cake prices are...the pipeline doesn't have final approval. It doesn't matter what state you live in, or that state's Governor's political affiliation, the pipeline doesn't have final approval. Doesn't matter whether the skid marks in your shorts are light or dark, the pipeline doesn't have final approval. How many times must it be repeated that the pipeline doesn't have final approval before it soaks into your whiskey soaked brain?

Your imagined influence and self importance have pretty well hit a brick wall.

the pipeline will be approved......

OT will get his transcients and hookers in Montana and the US will get about 20,000 jobs and $billions of business. OT might even have access to some Canadian hookers, which he has no problem with, cause he believes in international crime and the inability of the US to stop such illegal activities.

Maybe what the Canadian government should do is hire some "straw hookers" and ship them across the border, just to find out thaat OT is hiring them.

this is all a "show" and once it is done, there will be another pipeline proposal

And it won't make much of a dent in the US's "oil dependency"

Oil usage is increasing by what % per year, in the US? Energy usage, in the way of carbon fuels. is decreasing by what, per annum?

It's going to take 100 years for "alternative energy" to even catch up with the increase in demand.

Latest posts