• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nebraska Property Valuation Protest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I just bought a 40 acre parcel, taxes are at $5 an acre as it's in a recreation classification once I get it back to ag it will be about $3 an acre. I rent alot of land for $10 an acre cheaper than owning it all things considered.The rent on these parcels have been going up due to the land owners tax increasements.It takes about 10 acres per cow here counting woods swamps and all.

loomixguy said:
Don't just leave it at a letter. Go in and talk to your assessor personally. Ask them to come out and inspect your property, and, if they do, be sure to include the good, the bad, and the ugly. Did you get the forms from the county clerk, or just write to them?

The assessor thought it would be a good idea to raise the taxes on my house last year. I went to the clerk and he did everything he could to get me not to protest, but that didn't happen. I filled out the form and went in and talked to the assessor, very smoothly. I told them they had had my house overvalued for years, but it was only overvalued around 10K, so I never complained. I was asked what I thought I could sell my house for, and I told them. It was just half what they wanted the new valuation to be. I said to just come and look....and be sure to go in the basement. They came a week or so later while I was gone...the kids let them in and told them to look in the basement, too. A couple of weeks later I got a letter from them stating that they were going to value my house at $XXX,000. (The price I told them I could probably sell my house for! :wink: )

I realize that houses and rangeland are not the same thing, but the assessor may be charging for things that are not there. I was paying for a big storage shed and other "improvements" that were either never there or torn down long ago. The system works, but you must do it correctly and be timely. You have a good start, it appears. I wish you the best!

By law you DO NOT have to let them INSIDE your house. Better to keep the outside cheap....and not let'em in

Latest posts