• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nebraska

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Link below; my emphasis.

"In the solidly Republican state of Nebraska, voters are expressing deep anxiety about rising gasoline prices and the war in Iraq, a possible early warning for President George W. Bush in one of his most reliable strongholds.

When Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel traveled around his home state this week, citizens at every stop brought up Iraq policy and the inexorable rise in fuel prices."

"Nebraska has been a solid Republican state in presidential elections for decades. Republicans dominate state politics and hold most elective offices.
But Hagel said even some who had previously backed Bush strongly on Iraq now felt deep unease.
"The feeling that I get back here, looking in the eyes of real people, where I knew where they were two years ago or a year ago -- they've changed," he said. "These aren't people who ebb and flow on issues. These are rock solid, conservative Republicans who love their country, support the troops and support the president."
Hagel said Bush faced a growing credibility gap. "The expectations that the president and his administration presented to the American people 2 1/2 years ago is not what the reality is today. That's presented the biggest credibility gap problem he's got," he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050818/ts_nm/iraq_heartland_dc

I think Hagel just hit the nail on the head on what could create a backlash that puts more Dems into Congress in 06 and possibly the White House in 08- the war and energy costs...This is what I'm seeing and hearing in my part of the country too, which is also quite conservative...Still very strong support for the troops- but more and more questioning- is it worth it?, what is it costing?, when will it end? Will the local guards get to come back to their families after 18 months deployment in Alaska- or will they be redeployed to Iraq for a 6 month tour?.....Liberals always have opposed the war- but now these questions are being asked by the moderates and conservatives.....

But the biggy is energy costs-- $3.00+ gas- thats raising the costs of everything...If anything breaks the Republican's back it will be that....I personally don't think the Democrats could do anything to reduce energy costs- but its not being seen that way on the street....Big Oil companies are reporting record profits- and the Republican party is seen as the party of big business- then to top it, you have both a President and Vice President with strong ties to the oil business - it definitely isn't going to help any Republicans running for election next year........

It's interesting to hear from you the report on the questions being raised about the war in Iraq. Polls from around the country have indicated what you say as being a nationwide trend, even though there's no real "leadership" for an antiwar effort. Cindy Sheehan is the first person who seems to be attracting a following. I do see a few politicians starting to ask for a date of withdrawal of our troops, but, so far, no one has just said "bring them home now." And that's what I believe must happen. This lack of agreement on a constitution shows me that the Iraqis are too split, religion wise, to come to an agreement that will satisfy everyone. I don't believe you can give someone democracy. These people are not like us; their beliefs, their dreams, their morals, are different and I think it's arrogant for our government to try to push our way of life onto them as a "better" way.

In general, the average Iraqi in Baghdad is much worse off today than when we invaded their country. They have less electricity, water, and certainly their security is worse. They have a much better chance of their children being killed with a bomb than ever being killed by Saddam or his cohorts. It's a sad place George W. Bush has led us to and it will take a long time for us to get out.

Perhaps the price of gas is causing people to realize that this Admistration doesn't necessarily have their best interests at heart.

Disagreeable- I disagree with you about the war- It had to be done- should have been done 10 years ago and now we should finish it- but we need to put all effort into doing it swift as possible and make sure our troops have all that is necessary to carry out this task....

But on the political scene this is going to be a big Democrat club to beat on Republicans- and like Hagel and several other Republican congressmen are saying- you start adding in fuel costs, the impression that Republicans are sacrificing the middle class to their undying support of all Big Business and their huge profits while moving jobs overseas, lack of enforcement of border and immigration laws that are not only putting a huge drain on state and local governments but outright endangering US lives.....

All adds up to one thing- Hilary will walk into the White House in 08..... :cry:

Oldtimer said:
Disagreeable- I disagree with you about the war- It had to be done- should have been done 10 years ago and now we should finish it- but we need to put all effort into doing it swift as possible and make sure our troops have all that is necessary to carry out this task....

Where do you expect to get the troops to "finish" this task? We don't have enough troops in uniform for a complete rotation next year. We lost 58,000 young men in VietNam. What number of deaths will cause you to change your mind about Iraq?

But on the political scene this is going to be a big Democrat club to beat on Republicans- and like Hagel and several other Republican congressmen are saying- you start adding in fuel costs, the impression that Republicans are sacrificing the middle class to their undying support of all Big Business and their huge profits while moving jobs overseas, lack of enforcement of border and immigration laws that are not only putting a huge drain on state and local governments but outright endangering US lives.....

This should be a big club for Democrats to use. But right now most of the elcted Democrats are still pussy footing around the war and not calling for our troops to come home. There have been both Democrat and Republicans calling for a withdrawal date, but no big rush to their side by other Dems.

All adds up to one thing- Hilary will walk into the White House in 08..... :cry:

What makes you think Hillary wants to be President? If she does, she's young; she can wait. I think there's a good chance the next president will be a one termer, like George HW Bush. The deficit and gas prices are going to be a terrible drag on our economy for years.

What makes you think Hillary wants to be President?

Hillary will kill to be President- I pity the man that stands in her way...[

Oldtimer said:
What makes you think Hillary wants to be President?

Hillary will kill to be President- I pity the man that stands in her way...[

Didn't answer the question. "What makes you think Hillary wants to be President?"

katrina said:
Isn't Hagel running for president???? :wink:

I saw on FOX news today where Hagel is running for the Republican nomination for President-- must think the current administrations directions are not the direction the voters are going :wink:

Oldtimer said:
katrina said:

I saw on FOX news today where Hagel is running for the Republican nomination for President-- must think the current administrations directions are not the direction the voters are going :wink:

Wow! What a smart guy. Every poll shows approval of Bush dropping lower and lower. I bet Hagel isn't the only Congressman/Senator getting an earfull from his constitutants about gas prices, interest rates, inflation, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes when they get back to "work" :roll: .

Disagreeable said:
Oldtimer said:
katrina said:

Wow! What a smart guy. Every poll shows approval of Bush dropping lower and lower. I bet Hagel isn't the only Congressman/Senator getting an earfull from his constitutants about gas prices, interest rates, inflation, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes when they get back to "work" :roll: .

I agree with you on this--Same news program showed Exxons this year profits being up 37%- all the oil companies profits running in the +30% range--also said the real damage (inflation, rising interest rates to combat inflation, jobs loss and rising unemployment, etc.) will not show up for several months- but the country is in for a rude awakening.......
Wait until winter hits-predictions are that fuel oil prices and winter heating costs will be up 40+%.......

Latest posts