• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need Advice on a Calf please...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ezeranch

Reaction score
We had a new calf born yesterday and he has some problems with his legs. He doesn't walk right on his back legs and he seems to walk kinda stiff on his front legs. He can get up and down just fine and he can get around ok he just looks wobbly and stiff. I am including some pictures of him and his legs. Has anyone delt with this before? Will it straighten out over time or should I try to get him to the vet? Thanks for any advice.

nov2009cows%20033.jpg

nov2009cows%20036.jpg

Front Legs

nov2009cows%20035.jpg

Back Legs

katrina said:
I would bet he'll be just fine....Just make sure he is nursing and he should come right out of it.... :)

I agree, I'd be more concerned about him getting her udder nursed than his legs at this point. A smart calf should be able to figure it out, but I'd be paying attention just in case. Good luck! :D

If he were here I'd turn him out with his mom a quit worrying about it being as he gets around fine. I would then decide whether to cull the cow on account of it. Looks like the bag is an issue anyway. Around here they are not worth so much that expensive treatments pay so as long as they are not suffering they are on their own.

I had one last year that couldn´t get to his feet or stay on his feet once we put him there. He couldn´t nurse either. We did everything we could but he died with a few days. I never really did figure out what was wrong, but suspect there was more involved than just his legs.

By happenstance, the same cow gave birth about 3 days ago to a healthy female calf.

I think yours should pull through just fine.

I'd run the cow through the chute and milk her out so the little guy can get a better run at those teats. And i'll bet his feet will be fine in a couple weeks. :D

I have had two calves that look like that before. I am not sure that it was the cure but I gave them a shot of selinium (BO-SE or MU-SE), and they came around just fine in a few weeks. Until then I just let them go and they did just fine.

From what I can see at the pictures, you have only a slight problem here.
The rear feet have weak tendons and poor foot angle which as everyone else has said will improve with time, one thing to maybe consider in the future is to pick a bull with better feet and legs, not so much set in the hocks.

You can treat it and it will be better in a week. Left untreated it will take about 7 days :D

I had one this a.m. and it was stiff, and his head cocked off to the left, and on the right side of his neck was the muscle and it was somewhat ridgid and tense...I guessed the calf layed inside kinda goofy, and it grew that way???? never seen that before...
any ideas ?

jigs said:
I had one this a.m. and it was stiff, and his head cocked off to the left, and on the right side of his neck was the muscle and it was somewhat ridgid and tense...I guessed the calf layed inside kinda goofy, and it grew that way???? never seen that before...
any ideas ?

Cocked off to the LEFT?? Not much chance then for the poor lil bugger. If it lives, it'll likely be a Democrat . . .

ezeranch said:
We had a new calf born yesterday and he has some problems with his legs. He doesn't walk right on his back legs and he seems to walk kinda stiff on his front legs. He can get up and down just fine and he can get around ok he just looks wobbly and stiff. I am including some pictures of him and his legs. Has anyone delt with this before? Will it straighten out over time or should I try to get him to the vet? Thanks for any advice.

I've see quite a bite of this in Holsteins - They grow out of it

burnt said:
jigs said:
any ideas ?

Cocked off to the LEFT?? Not much chance then for the poor lil bugger. If it lives, it'll likely be a Democrat . . .

from the rear he looks ALOT like Hillary and Nancy... should I just put him down?

jigs said:
any ideas ?

Had one like that a few years back - have a pic if you're interested - never could get up on his own and walk normally and I ended up putting him down.

Latest posts