• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

needle disposal

hopalong

Reaction score
Just wondering what most of you do with used needles and ho you dispose of them, I took a piece of 4" pvc 6" long and put a cap on each end after drilling a 3/8 hole on one of them< light enough to carry around and cheaper than a commercial unit and safer than most other methods i have seen.

jodywy

Reaction score
Daughter was helping a outfit brand last week, one kid got kicked by a calf, calf had a needle up in it hoof with just a 1/4 inch sticking out. ripped him pretty good.

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
The plastic out protector from a bottle of Micotil is what we use for a "Sharps "container. They were passing them out a couple years ago at SSGA convention probably can pick them up at the vets.

JF Ranch

Reaction score
I just toss my old needles in the bottom of the cooler I use for vaccine! With several years worth, there's getting to be a pretty thick layer of them down there.

But seriously, this is a good question. What is the proper method of disposing of them when these temporary containers fill up?

hopalong

Reaction score
I think each state has its own regulations as far as disposable, I kn ow some hospitals here will take them.

hillsdown

Reaction score
Every year at fall herd health I give my vet a jar/tin of needles and some expired meds etc. to take back to the clinic to be disposed of correctly.

jillaroo

Reaction score
In the feedlot, we used old coffee cans and then duct taped the lid on when they were full. We then tossed the can into a metal barrel marked "sharps".

Now we get a yellow bio hazard container from our vet. I put expired drugs and used needles in it. When it's full, we take it to the vets and they give us an empty one.

Denny

Reaction score
A guy could fill an old piece of pipe weld caps on both ends and send in a load of scrap iron. Smelter would get rid of them.

Hayguy

Reaction score
be careful doing that Denny, sounds like it would look like a pipe bomb!!

you might get Jigs's friend's in black visiting you :D :D

hopalong

Reaction score
hayguy said:
be careful doing that Denny, sounds like it would look like a pipe bomb!!

you might get Jigs's friend's in black visiting you :D :D

That is why I decided on white pvc, the 4" size plus it is a lot lighter to pack around.

Larrry

Reaction score
Before I do anything with the needle I take a pair of pliers and fold the end back over so nothing sharp sticks up