• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New artist to me at Klamath Bull Sale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Klamath Bull Sale is kinda a mini-Red Bluff...While there, I saw an artist whose work really turned my head. Her name was Judy Erickson. She is about to get a website to show her work. Originally from California, she lives in Sprague River Oregon now....

What I liked was although it showed everyday cowboy scenes, the style was unique. I love Tim Cox and others like him, but this was just a little different. I don't know enough about art to describe it, but it was like it had a flow to it.

In talking to her, one piece was about I think the lone surviving Calvary man at a battle. I think it was Little Big Horn???? Anyway, what impressed me was she researched it for several months before starting it,

If she gets a website, I'll post it,

PPRM

Faster horses said:
Well, if it was the Battle of the Little Bighorn (Custer's Last Stand), the only thing left of the white man from that fight was a horse named Comanche. Perhaps it was another battle.

Unless it was the Italian dispatch rider that Custer sent back to Benteen with the message for Benteen to come forward-- I've heard some call him the only survivor, and there have been some stories and articles written about his life...

And todays Gold Star goes to Faster Horses! :D :) :!: :wink: :!:

I knew I didn't remember the story, but Judy sure did apparently have it right. The painting "Comanche" is in the gallery portion of her website. She e-mailed me that only a few paintings are up there, the site is new.

I just really appreciated her work and it seemed to be a little unique to me. She also seemed like a very nice and genuine person.

Here's a link to her website, http://www.freewebs.com/finewesternart/index.html

Hope you enjoy,

PPRM

I really did enjoy, and you get the gold star for telling us about her work!!!!

Reminded me of someone whose art I saw several years ago that I really liked, although hers is different than your artist. Her name is Patricia Graves and after I looked at the ones you mentioned PPRM, I did a search for Patricia Graves. Had a little trouble but I found it. She has some horses for sale on one site I found, and one piece of artwork is at HorseTopia.com. She will do custom drawings of your horse from a photograph. I really appreciate what she does.

There is another guy that used to be in this area that does excellent ranch paintings. Gotta remember his name tho. He won some awards at the Pendelton Round-up, I believe, and made their posters for a few years. Gosh, he was really good too.

I'll get back to ya when I think of it.

There was an "Erickson" out of Idaho that was an artist - His first name excapes me right now.

His art work was on Ag Caps everywhere (mostly dogs workin Livestock) - A Stock Dog Judge "Roy Sage" was set-up in his 'van' to print caps on the spot.

I wonder if she is connected?

Nice Picture - - It is different

Faster horses said:
I have one of Erickson's prints and I went to check the name. It is Gary Erickson and as I recall, he is also a dog trainer.

That him - He and Roy were good friends - I introduced Roy to his wife and He still talks to me :) - - They live up in Oregon over by Idaho!

Gary could work 2 or 3 dogs at the same time with different commands - - I always give the Right Command to the Wrong Dog :(

Sometimes you never know which way a thread will go, LOL....

They had cowdog trials at Klamath. The team Branding is always a good watch. They have a calcutta on it. Good chance for desert cowboys to show thier talent. I think some guys from the Plush area won it,

PPRM

We have a Hangin Tree Aussie . Gary started that line then started cross breeding dogs to get the hangin' tree Stock dogs I liked him but he was a bit of a Character. He has stayed here when we had him teach a clinic. The wife had to redo a painting she was working on as he picked up her brush and she didn't like what he did to her painting.

This is Judy Erickson( the artist PPRM wrote about from the Klamath Bull Sale); so glad you liked my work. The title of the painting which you spoke about is "Comanche - Tribute to a Warrior" and he was the only living thing recovered from the Battle of the Little Bighorn. The sequel to Comanche is also on my website and is called "The Captain Rode a Buckskin" and it is Benteen crossing the Rosebud River.
I am expanding my work to cutting and reining horses, as well as including stock dogs in some paintings. Any subject suggestions from the forum are appreciated. I live in a remote valley in Oregon, cowboy in the summer and paint in the winter.

Welcome aboard cat dancing aka Judy Erickson. You've come to THE MOST AWESOME website in the world. You will never run across the pictures, stories, and poetry posted here anywhere else. This forum is a great resource for just about anything. I will not speak for others, but we (my family and I) are most willing to help out. Just knowing the nature of most others who post here, I'll bet they'd love to help you out, too. :D 8)

Judy,

Glad you stopped by. I was first impressed by your work, but also really liked the story behind the work. I know the website is under construction and new, but I personally would enjoy the stories behind the paintings as well.

Like I said, I enjoyed your work. I guess appreciation of art is a lot like appreciation of horses or cattle. Can't always explain why I like certain art, so there's a difference. About three years ago, my wife told me NO MORE Prints for Christmas as we are outta wall space. But I occasionally sneak one in as a present when she drops her guard, LOL,

Anyway, thanks for stopping by,

PPRM

Pat - thanks for the link - I'm really enjoying this website so far. I will remember your interest in the stories behind my work and will try and have them (or a short explanation available for all paintings). I'm currently starting a work involving a cowpony trying to turn back a "quitter". There will be a herd of cows in the background, dust all over, and a buckskin horse crouched down ready to go after the "quitter cow". Since the good cowpony looks alot like a good dancer when working, I'm calling the painting "Buckskin Ballet".
Judy

Judy,

Sounds like a winner of a painting....

I remember my favorite Tim Cox was a present for I think his son and daughter in laws wedding. It showed a couple having a picnic with thier two horses behind, maybe his head in her lap. Entitled something along the lines "It doesn't get any better than this."???? Anyway, the story set a mood that resonated with me. I suspect many people are the same....

Glad you like this site. The pictures sent in are great and most of the people here are very enjoyable. Soapweeds picture diaries are priceless as are many of the everyday stories we share,

I wish you the best of luck Judy, you are truly talented,

PPRM

My favorite paintin of all time is by William Matthews, called "Headin up French Glen". I seen it once while Christmas shoppin at a store in the mall, "the texas store" Had a fit for it. Well Mr Lilly went back to get it for me, and it was gone, the folks in the store didnt know who painted it, or the title of it. Thru alotta research online I finally found out the name of the artist and title of the painting, and then started callin around to different places tryin to find it. Finally found it, and it's now hangin above my couch. Soapweeds pictures remind me alot of this painting. Think that's one of the reason's I enjoy his pictures so much.

headinupfrenchglen.jpg

Latest posts