• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Bull!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm a little behind here, oh well. NR do you have a picture of the bull? We're getting ready to buy semen. We run commercial herefords, raise some bulls for ourselves and one neighbor. We used to have registered and commercial cows but live close to 3 established breeders and we don't (never have) show, so was hard to get any buyers. We always ran our reg. cows the same as the rest, at least you know what you've got. I am interested in the new bull though :)

Jinglebob said:
I know I shouldn't, but I just have to reply to Northern Ranchers post and comment on the Longhorns. Years back we got tired of calving problems in first calf heifers so tried a longhorn. We picked out a stout, well made bull, just like we would for any other breed as we were assured that they would be easy calvers. They were right and the calves sold right along with the other calves. People who cuss small longhorn x calves always seem to buy a scrub bull and then wonder why they have scrub calves. And too many longhorn breeders cull for color or horn size instead of efficiancy.

I believe that this is one of the reasons longhorn x calves lost grace with the feeders, coupled with the fact that longhorns grow at a lower rate of gain, all tho' they use less feed, but take a longer number of days to get to the same weight as english x and continental breeds.

Most of the neighbors have gone to AI, to low birthweight angus bulls on their heifers and have been having good luck calving heifers and I guess they are happy with the weaning weights.

I like my longhorn f1 females and they work for me, but then I don't like to sell cows when they are 10 years old and prefer to sell them when they are 15 to 18 when they fail to calve. And they are not wild, but I don't tag. Just train on my cows! Thats why I have them, to make my horses better! LOL

I did shoot and butcher my last bull as he put me on a fence and wouldn't let me down. It was quite satisfying! And he was delicious! I won't keep any of his heifers either!

I know a guy down south of Edgemont who has old style black angus cows. Very small and feminine and he won't keep a heifer calf out of one untill they are 15 years old. His calves aren't the biggest, but his cows don't have to be replaced as often either. When I commented on the size of the weaning weights of his calves his reply was, "Calves all bring about the same per head. Lighter calves bring more per pound, heavier calves bring less." He doesn't feed any supplement in the winter as long as he has grass. I believe he calves later in the spring also.

How did the longhorns ever get back into your country, Jinglebob?

Northern Rancher- would like some info on the new bull...Might be a good outcross on some of our polled PB's. I think BMr is scared to try the baldie route in case he likes them :wink: :roll: Just kidding :wink:

cowsense said:
Northern Rancher- would like some info on the new bull...Might be a good outcross on some of our polled PB's. I think BMr is scared to try the baldie route in case he likes them :wink: :roll: Just kidding :wink:

I like the baldy calves but I don't have a barn to tie a Hereford bull in for the winter. :wink: :cowboy:

Well BMr, I guess you could tie em up if you wanted to as they're pretty quiet, but ours run out: just try to make sure they got the odd thistle & kochia to eat and a couple of snowballs to suck on for moisture :!: :wink:

cowsense said:
Well BMr, I guess you could tie em up if you wanted to as they're pretty quiet, but ours run out: just try to make sure they got the odd thistle & kochia to eat and a couple of snowballs to suck on for moisture :!: :wink:

Sounds like were back to takin' about the Longhorns again. I knew that last comment would get a rise out of you.I've got 25 Black bulls running out eating Grass hay and Bossy bloomer and they are looking great but it has been a nice winter.

Hope your calving is going good don't get run down by those Salers. Have a great Easter.

Latest posts