• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Facebook page

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Chimenea

Reaction score
Well, I finally went completely nuts, stayed up way past my bedtime, and set up a Facebook page for the ranch. I plan to use it to list some of our horses for sale as well as for the stocker steer brokerage.

Of course, I've posted mostly pictures of our horses for now; doing something that actually makes us money would have made too much sense...

Anyway, I thought I'd share the page with you folks. You've seen a bunch of the pictures on there already, but some of the photos are new.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cheers!

http://www.facebook.com/RanchoLaChimenea

Very nice webpage, and beautiful pictures. You have outstanding horses, and a scenic but harsh country in which to give them a job. The cattle look fat and sassy for making their living on the desert. Thanks for showing us how things are done on your ranch.

Just because you are plugged in over to facebook, don't forget us little guys and make sure you keep us posted over here. I love your pictures, you have fine horses and it's always fun to see that country. :D

Leanin H, I don't aim to forget anybody :D

Actually, I've been confined to the house for over two weeks with fun new goofiness from the leukemia, and I figured it was a good time to start updating our website (a real overhaul will take a lot longer and will require some cash....). Just looking for another excuse to put together pictures and share them with my friends.

Soapweed, as usual, you are too kind. I cheat quite a bit with the pictures, actually. I tend to post pictures that were taken during the summer and fall, when we're getting (or have recently had) rains, the grass is good, and the desert is at its most generous. Believe me, our pictures from late spring aren't nearly as flattering as your spring pictures; nor are our spring photos nearly as fun for me to see as our pictures from summer and fall :) And, I've got about 12 years' worth of digital photos to choose from -- a collection (if I called it a database, it would mean that they are waaaaay better organized and easy to find....) of literally thousands of pictures to choose from. So what you see is the best of what we've gotten on camera, and what's on camera tends to be the good times that yield photos of images that we'd like to preserve. Believe me, I have plenty of pictures that are not so flattering, and there are lots of images vividly burned in my mind of cattle, mares, and pastures that I don't want to see again :). But, with being a shut-in the way I've been seen last fall, I really enjoy sorting through the pictures I have kept (good and bad) and returning to the ranch at least in my mind, until I can do it physically.

Usually when I'm out with the cattle, I have a child or two to juggle and watch out for (and, God willing, our youngest who just turned two years old will start to come out with us next time we're out, making three kids to try to keep out of trouble); not to mention keeping me and my own horse on the straight and narrow, making it awfully difficult to manage a camera, as well. On top of that, I'm not as involved in the marketing of our cattle as I am in the marketing of the horses. We even market the cattle and horses under different names because there are different ownership structures for the cattle and the horses (we run on three separate ranches, and each ranch has its own name; we use the name of one ranch to register and market the horses, and the names of the other two ranches to register and market the cattle). So, I tend to have more pictures of the horses than I do of the cattle (which means I don't have as many cattle pictures to share with you folks as I do of the horses). But really, it's the cattle and, to some degree the hunting, that keep the operation viable as a business. The bulls all go through several regional auctions (like this one http://www.ronbcharolais.com/RonB/Subasta.html) or private treaty to repeat buyers, and the heifers all go to repeat buyers, so it's a completely different marketing strategy than with the horses. Combined with the fact that I've had a much bigger hand in putting together the horse program than the cattle program, the horses are more my "baby" than the cattle. So the pictures I end up keeping tend to be far heavier on the horses than our whole operation really is.

Anyhow, we've got three foals on the ground so far this year, and are expecting four more before we're all done for the year. I'll share the pictures as I get them from my family until I can get out to take pictures of my own.

Cheers!

Latest posts