• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kbar2

Reaction score
1192.jpg

1181.jpg

1211.jpg

1201.jpg

Didn't think you were buying another horse? You giving up on the window crawler? Kind of a nice lookin pony, but he looks like that herd bound thing the Boss had.

Didn't really plan on buyin anything but got to a horse sale and lost all sense of fiscal responsibility! :???: I guess this will give me something to do in my spare time. I fear things are gonna be kinda slow this fall with it bein dry. Looks like it will be feed cows and ride a young horse.

Nah, WP I will not be givin up on Festus the window crawlin pony. He has been awful good to me and even I have some silly little quirks. From now on just have to remember not to leave the window open on the slant load trailer!! He reedemed himself when I brought him out to your place and he rode in the open top trailer just fine.

Hancock does not show up in his pedigree. he's out of Blaine Krogman's stud Cowboy who traces back to Robert Redford on the top side and out of a Sammy Bar bred mare. He rides pretty good. Put a couple rides on him since I got him home on Sunday and I am happy with him.

Thinkin this little guy has came down with West Nile virus. Pulled blood out of him yesterday to send in to see if it is for sure. Wondered if anyone else has had a confirmed case and what the end results were?

kbar2 said:
Thinkin this little guy has came down with West Nile virus. Pulled blood out of him yesterday to send in to see if it is for sure. Wondered if anyone else has had a confirmed case and what the end results were?

It's only dangerous if it affects the brain. Have you taken him to the vet?
They pretty much know how to deal with it. Good luck!

Here's a link for you to read:
http://www.west-nile-virus-prevention.com/west-nile-virus-in-horses.html

Thank you FH! yes I have been workin with a vet and he has given me advice on tryin to pull him thru! Hasn't appeared to affect his brain yet but hard to say. Right now he just has hard time walkin. Really weak on his hind quarters. Bright spot so far is that his appetite has not diminished at all.

I don't know much about west Nile but a horse I raised and sold was the first horse in Saskatchewan to die from it. :?

He was quite the rope horse and really fought it but was getting on in years.

Hoping the best for your colt. :)

Thank you BMR! Really sucks to lose a good mount! Not that this little fella is a good mount yet but with the few rides I have on him now he shows as much potential as anything I have ever started?! Have talked with a lot of really helpful people and with a little luck we will get him thru this!

It's been awhile and I apologize for being so slow to update the condition of my new horse. It was a confirmed case of west nile. The blood that was sent in tested positive and after researching his past confirming that he had never been vaccinated left us with a confirmed case. To say his recovery has been anything short of a miracle would be an understatement! I started to ride him a little about a week ago and while using him Saturday when branding the fall calves actually roped a couple calves and drug them to the fire. Pretty amazing young horse in my opinion. This was the first time I had ever dallied onto anything and he took right to pullin.

Good deal!! I used my new one to drag a calf with, the day after we sent your cows home. He wasn't anywhere near as calm as yours, but we got the job done.

0109.JPG

00710.JPG

00610.JPG

Thanks to some help I figured out how to make the pictures normal sized instead of itty bitty! Honestly never expected him to do this well this soon!! Only reason I even rode him into the brandin pen was because most of the help was ribbin me to get in there because they figured once I got one roped the rodeo would start! Earlier in the day a fella that was helpin did get launched off a horse that he used for brandins last spring. Only problem with their plan was my little horse just plum amazed em all when I went to ropin and he went to draggin no questions asked!! Me and the horse are both better now due to the experience.

Latest posts