• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New hyphen American

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
I have heard of what I thought was all the hyphen Americans till I was searching a quote and this is how the person is listed

Logan Smith
Anglo-American writer & editor

So is that a white or a european or a what ??? :roll:

MsSage said:
I have heard of what I thought was all the hyphen Americans till I was searching a quote and this is how the person is listed

Logan Smith
Anglo-American writer & editor

So is that a white or a european or a what ??? :roll:

More BS PC......Kind of like the garbageman being called the sanitation engineer......

Anglo really means "English" so I suppose it means "English-American" The Spanish-Americans seem to call everybody else "Anglo's", but really many Americans are decended from many other nationalities. So we could go by names such as: German-Americans, Norwegian-Americans, French-Canadian-Americans, etc. I hope we don't have to commonly use these terms, except when searching our genealogy or something.

Yes and if you want to go before that it was really the joining of the 7 kingdoms of the "Angles" from Northern Germany to the "Saxxons" were from Essex, Sussex and Wessex were from the lower part of Germany.
They staged an invasion of Great Britain.

In popular usage in Canada and the United States, the term "Anglo-Saxon" (such as White Anglo-Saxon Protestant or WASP) has evolved into a politicized term with little connection to its academic definition. Until about 1960 the term was mostly used and popularized by Irish Catholics and French-Canadians. Since 1960 it has more general usage, but exactly who it designates has become a matter of individual opinions and context, ranging from people of English descent to any North American of European origin who fits a socio-economic and/or ethnic profile.

Hmmmm.....that would make me a Native/Anglo/African/Norman/Irish American.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Good grief!!!

Well thats means with me being Half Irish, quarter german, quarter english I am with all the definations a true Anglo~Saxon-American LOL
BUT I have always thought of myself as American
Still dont get the need to define oneself.
Sorry just thoughts on a Saturday morning

I was talking to someone once....who kept going on & on & on about how " pure" their family was....blah...blah....blah...

Then I told them that if in our area ( DEEP SOUTH) that if you WERE not of some sort of mixed blood.....you must've had some butt-ugly relatives that no one wanted to mess with!!!!

LOL sorry ok I will be nice not going to laugh at people who are disadvatage in the appearance area. I really have no room to talk :?
....hmmmmm IS there any "PURE" people?

TimH said:
Mike said:
My family are "WRAPs"

White Republican Anglo Protestant.

My family are "CRABs." :shock:

Catholic Redneck Anglo Belgians.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Belgians????????? You mean from Belgium?
Didn't know anybody was from Belgium? :???:

Mike said:
TimH said:
Mike said:
My family are "WRAPs"

White Republican Anglo Protestant.

My family are "CRABs." :shock:

Catholic Redneck Anglo Belgians.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Belgians????????? You mean from Belgium?
Didn't know anybody was from Belgium? :???:

:D :D Yup!!! :D

Both sides of my family came here from Belgium in the 1880's. :lol:
They had been run out of Ireland in the 1700's for stealing too many horses! :wink:

Latest posts