• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New R-calf book to hit shelves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

reader (the Second) wrote:
Murgen wrote:
Quote:
I assume your French resembles Cajan dialect (related to Acadien).

Good for you Reader, you picked that up. Cultures do cross borders and those that make fun usually don't know anything about it!

Did France have any impact and any migration into/on the US?

Remember I was first in linguistics before computers (before TSEs took away my time). Weren't the Acadiens chased out of Canada and settled in Northeast U.S. and in Louisiana? The other French influence is on Haitian and we're seeing Haitian influx currently. I can think of Spanish and Italian and German and Norwegian and Puerto Rican and Jamaican and Arab migration into US. I'm sure there was French also but it's not popping into my head. Well the French had a major impact on the Founding Fathers -- in architecture, fashion, political science, literature and so on.

Surely there must have been quite a few French in the North American Colonies, and probably later, too, in the fledgling USA, as the French were instrumental in the victory of those desiring freedom, weren't they?

Don't forget the French influence in that a major portion of the land area of this nation was purchased from France. In SD, there still are some people of French descent. Some of the fur traders were Frenchmen who married women of the Indian Nations in the north parts of the USA. There were quite a few Scottish fur traders, too, in the Dakota Territory. Don't forget the Irish immigrants! And those are just the major ones. Surely there were legal and illegal immigrants from most nations of the times who came to our shores in one way or another, one era or another.

MRJ

A good number of plantation owners in the south at one point were Huguenots fleeing religious persecution in France.

Haymaker- "NO I had a french canadian girl friend and while I was -------her she would whisper french nothings in my ear LOL.......good luck & good nite."

Hey Haymaker, Did she ever whisper..."Tete` du merde" in your ear??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, how do you say "nothing" in French?????? :lol: :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
Ukrainians, Greeks, Poles, Czechs, Russians, Portuguese.

Absolutely we purchased French land and there were French furtraders in the North along the border. Didn't know about the Hugenots.

I thought the U.S. dismissal of the French (in spite of their being annoying) was very silly.

I don't know if the french are annoying or not, but the US seems to forget they owe quite a debt of gratitude to them. There would still be a union jack flying above the whitehouse if not for them, and no statue of liberty..... seems like folks just take that sort of stuff for granted down there.

Latest posts