• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new ranchers in Cody area

Help Support Ranchers.net:

seen a lot of negative comments on other boards and FB. my thought willing seller willing buyer, and my understanding it is a desert ranch with a lake, the air smells more from oil production then from sage. that there more pumpjacks then trees, and it is half BLM. Wish them luck....

I saw that on facebook. Someone said Kayne West had been downtown Cody and he seemed socialble.
I know some don't like it, but since when can we dictate who can buy and who can sell? (If we could stop that
I'd like to see foreign people banned from buying, but hey, this is a capitalistic sociecty, and I'm all for capitalism.)

Like Jody said, "willing seller, willing buyer." Money talks and it was FOR SALE.

Laughing a bit because the story called the ranch "Massive." It's 4500 acres deeded, 4500 BLM. Hardly massive. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
So to lease BLM land does it have to be working ranch or do they just lease to the highest bidder?

It has to be a working ranch and have so many deeded acres. Half deeded and half BLM is fairly common.
In fact, there are instances where it is possible to have more BLM than deeded acres, depending on what the deeded acres can support. For instance, if the deeded was all irrigated,or had a high amount of irrigated,
and a lot of hay/forage could be harvested there could be a larage BLM allotment attached to the deeded ground.
I think this happens a lot in the Basin country. The ground that isn't irrigated over there doesn't run many cattle. We used to say a cow had to have a mouth a foot wide and travel 20 miles an hour to get enough to eat in a day. Or a grasshopper needed to pack a lunch. :D :D :D

Remember, the BLM ground was less desirable ground so wasn't homesteaded years ago.
At times the BLM is checkerboarded through the deeded ground making acess troublesome,
unless you owned the deeded acres. It's not all that desirable, but itcan add carrying capacity to a ranch.
Now that pipelines are possible, a lot more BLM is useable. Many times, there was no water on BLM ground.

Hope this helps explain it. There isn't nearly as much BLM gound in Western Montana as there is in Eastern montana.

To add to Fasters comment, in Nebraska we have Forest Service for the "gov't" grazing. Western part of the state. About that 50/50 ratio. My nephew is running a place in Wyoming that is probably 90 percent BLM. Everything a mile from the river. His strays are found in a 120 mile radius, in a year or or two. Canadian, eh?

Big Muddy rancher said:
So to lease BLM land does it have to be working ranch or do they just lease to the highest bidder?

there two types of leases , one like I have on some land locked 80, I just run them with my ground around them, then there some like forest permits , tied to the land base , on a ten year lease , and at the most you can only have a 3 year no use. Some of those involve land locked or checkerboard BLM/Private/

Latest posts