• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Rifle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
4,377
Reaction score
1
Location
8 mi S.E. of Harrison, Ar.
Mike or anyone else, I want a new , cheap rifle for the gun rack in my truck. I dont really have a gun that I don't want stolen that is a good varmint gun , etc. I want a single shot or a bolt action. Single shot is probably cheaper. I want a small caliber centerfire. I want it to be one I can put a scope on. I like the patern of the single shot rim fire rifles of the 30's 40's and 50's put out by remington and winchester. Balance feels right to me and they look ok. I am not going to sink a fortune into another gun...remember I want one that if it gets stolen...I won't cry.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
New England Firearms makes a single shot rifle that is fairly accurate. Looks just like a single barrel shotgun. Scope mountable. The trigger is ugly though.

Fairly "Disposable" too! :lol:
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
Get a NEF breakaction single shot-real little tack drivers and not alot of money-there's a sweet little .243 in our sports store with a bull barrel. I'm getting a .17 to shoot beavers with in the spring. They are very good rifles for what they cost.
 

Red Robin

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
4,377
Reaction score
1
Location
8 mi S.E. of Harrison, Ar.
Northern Rancher said:
Get a NEF breakaction single shot-real little tack drivers and not alot of money-there's a sweet little .243 in our sports store with a bull barrel. I'm getting a .17 to shoot beavers with in the spring. They are very good rifles for what they cost.
Sounds like what I would like. What kind of sights do they have . I would rather use regular old iron sights if they are nice and fine. Those front sights that look like your front finger are worthless. Most of my plinking would be less than 100 yards. If their sights are junk , maybe I'd put a cheap scope on it.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Red Robin said:
Northern Rancher said:
Get a NEF breakaction single shot-real little tack drivers and not alot of money-there's a sweet little .243 in our sports store with a bull barrel. I'm getting a .17 to shoot beavers with in the spring. They are very good rifles for what they cost.
Sounds like what I would like. What kind of sights do they have . I would rather use regular old iron sights if they are nice and fine. Those front sights that look like your front finger are worthless. Most of my plinking would be less than 100 yards. If their sights are junk , maybe I'd put a cheap scope on it.

You ain't gonna like the iron sights on it. It's already drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

I could never get used to the trigger though. Like I said. It's ugly. Got a about an inch of "creep" and about 10 lbs. of pull.

Dry fire one before you buy it.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Red Robin said:
How about a used winchester 700 in a 243. What do they run?

Sorry Robin...you're trying to trip us up here. You know as well as I do that Winchester don't make a "700". :wink:

That would make it a Remington. Winchester's is a "70".
 

Red Robin

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
4,377
Reaction score
1
Location
8 mi S.E. of Harrison, Ar.
Sorry..I wasn't trying . I am just stupid. I just got through looking online at the remington spr18n. Kind of like that. I am sure it's pricy.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Red Robin said:
Sorry..I wasn't trying . I am just stupid. I just got through looking online at the remington spr18n. Kind of like that. I am sure it's pricy.

Did you get my PM ? I need semen......now!!!!!!!!
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
The trigger pull on the NEF's i've seen was ok-if you can find a Remington 788 used snap it up-was the most accurate Remington ever made.
 

Red Robin

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
4,377
Reaction score
1
Location
8 mi S.E. of Harrison, Ar.
I have an old Remington 40 or 41 model .22 that when I was a kid I could flat shoot. It has iron sights that are sweet as a mothers love. I want a single shot small caliber center fire just like it.
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,632
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
Red Robin said:
I have an old Remington 40 or 41 model .22 that when I was a kid I could flat shoot. It has iron sights that are sweet as a mothers love. I want a single shot small caliber center fire just like it.


I have a steven's 22 single shot that was old when I got it 30 years ago it is a very accurate rifle when Lane get's a few years older it's his my Dad gave it to me so it seem's fitting.
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I really like all the single shot rifles by the major gun makers,have no use for the cheap ones,before I would buy a cheap new one,I would find a good used one,most of the better gun makers will carry small bores,I know Ruger does, my favorite not too pricey and still a pretty good gun................good luck
 

Latest posts

Top