• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New to me baler and forage management

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
I just bought a Claas 255 Rotocut silage baler. It comes complete with the wrapper integrated.

I've been looking at these for awhile. I am not wanting to be in the Hay business. Never have wanted to be. However, two things kind of drove this. First, taking advantage of early spring growth. It seems like if I could take a cutting, I'd get better utilization. Also, as I get lease opportunities, I never have the right amount of cattle for what I can lease. If I could take some ground in hay, I could build the right number.

As I looked, I see a lot of silage baling done in Western Oregon and Washington. The feed seems to be good quality and you don't have to fight the weather. I don't have the time to do so anyways. Also, I can cut it early while in the growth stage and get the water on it sooner.

I picked this combo unit up for $17,500. It's a small 4x4 fixed chamber. But, I tend to find smaller chunks of ground anyways. I'm told the fixed chamber could let me bale wetter if I need.

I chose baling over pitting as we are looking at smaller chunks of ground and putting 20 tons per time in a pit doesn't make sense to me.

Anything I'm missing?

Latest posts