• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New West(ern) TV Miniseries Coming Soon

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pointrider

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
For those of you who would be interested and can get the TNT channel on your tv or can get to a tv that does have it and you are willing to watch something on TNT - whew - yesterday's USA Today announced that the miniseries, Into The West, will start on June 10th. Here's what they said.

"Concept: It's the broad story of the opening of the American West, focusing on the struggle between Native Americans and pioneer culture while also exploring the Gold Rush, the transcontinental railroad and the wars leading to the massacre at Wounded Knee."

"Why it'll be hot: It's big and bold, more in the vein of old-fashioned Westerns, not edgy like HBO's Deadwood. Making the six 'small films,' producer David Rosemont says, required more than 1,000 cast and crew, 1,500 extras, 20,000 costumes, 150 locations, 176 shooting days and six directors. In the first episode alone, 1,600 head of buffalo were used.

Says Matthew Settle, who plays main character Jacob Wheeler: 'It was fun. Anytime you put on moccasins and leather and chaps, it's like revisting your youth.' The stories are serious, though. 'I like the series because it looks into less of what we did and more of why it was done.'

And the project has Steven Spielberg as executive producer. 'He does not lend his name lightly to television or features,' producer Rosemont says. 'There was a certain story that we told that he wanted to tell - the real story of settling the West and how we came to who we are. 'This is not a Western; it's a film about the West. His presence was felt.'"

Was anyone in the Coffee Shop involved in making this miniseries? Do you know someone who was?
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
Big Muddy rancher said:
This is starting to air but I caught it half way thru so didn't watch it. I am sure TNT will run it again. And again. And again.
If you like Westerns, as I do, you will like this production. And, if they run it again and again, I will probably watch it again and again. It is interesting to observe the scenery, and the ( "IN"-) correct handling of the horses! Some of the 'horsemen' are very experienced and adept, and some of the others - are - :roll: well - - not so adept! :shock:
 

ranchwife

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
0
Location
ennis, montana
just finished watching part 2 and i am pretty well hooked....shows both sides..the native american and the white man sides....really liking it so far, as is my 9 year old history buff!!!! :D almost find myself waiting for next week's episode!!
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
Fell asleep halfway through but NOT because it was boring!

DOC HARRIS- what are the incorrect horse handlings you noted?
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
ranchwife said:
just finished watching part 2 and i am pretty well hooked....shows both sides..the native american and the white man sides....really liking it so far, as is my 9 year old history buff!!!! :D almost find myself waiting for next week's episode!!
You're HOOKED!
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
nr said:
Fell asleep halfway through but NOT because it was boring!

DOC HARRIS- what are the incorrect horse handlings you noted?
Inconsideration of the horses mouths - jerking their head's around so that the rider is featuring the 'best' sides of the actors faces. I understand that the 'movie' is the thing, however in my way of thinking the horse is not something to abuse just for 'arts' sake. Hollywood doesn't look at it that way - costs too much money and time to do it "right". I know that a lot of the horses are trained to do some of the falls and jumps etc. that they do, but it is the little things that the riders do (and DON'T do) that get me - such as riding with reins only instead of legs, buttocks, hands and balance of the riders. I think that most of the western actors don't have the - - -well - - I guess the best way to say it is - - the 'touch and feel of the horse' - - to be "One with the Horse". I guess that sounds pretty maudlin, doesn't it? I hope you understand what I mean. It's hard to explain in words - -it has to be a "feeling". I just love Horses, and most people don't understand them and how they think.
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
"DOC HARRIS; "Inconsideration of the horses mouths - jerking their head's around so that the rider is featuring the 'best' sides of the actors faces."

The movie was in the second rerun which gave me a chance to see some of what you objected to with the horses. A pity for the horses. Most watching probably would not know their plight. Yet my husband said the director required the actors learn the Lakota language for realism. How many viewers would not know if they were speaking that or Chinese?
Seems they should have taken more care with the horses.

Reminded me of another movie problem: CPR where there is usually just chest compression but nobody is doing mouth to mouth breathing.
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
nr said:
"DOC HARRIS; "Inconsideration of the horses mouths - jerking their head's around so that the rider is featuring the 'best' sides of the actors faces."

The movie was in the second rerun which gave me a chance to see some of what you objected to with the horses. A pity for the horses. Most watching probably would not know their plight. Yet my husband said the director required the actors learn the Lakota language for realism. How many viewers would not know if they were speaking that or Chinese?
Seems they should have taken more care with the horses.

Reminded me of another movie problem: CPR where there is usually just chest compression but nobody is doing mouth to mouth breathing.
In my reference to the treatment or mis-treatment of horses in Westerns, I was not specifically relating to this "Into The West" series, but just Westerns in general. This production is not as bad as some of the older "Horse Operas" - such as "Dances With Wolves" and particularly the Cavalry scenes! Also a lot of the old "Gunsmoke" episodes. If I had been a horse in those filmings, I would have kicked about half of the actors through the "Long Branch Saloon" windows - even though they were made from 'sugar' type formulas! And I do agree with you concerning the CPR techniques! The patients either "throw up - or give up" - - Can you say "Ooof - broken ribs?" :lol:
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
DOC: "In my reference to the treatment or mis-treatment of horses in Westerns, I was not specifically relating to this "Into The West" series, but just Westerns in general. This production is not as bad as some of the older "Horse Operas" - such as "Dances With Wolves" and particularly the Cavalry scenes! Also a lot of the old "Gunsmoke" episodes. If I had been a horse in those filmings, I would have kicked about half of the actors through the "Long Branch Saloon" windows"

It would be interesting to hear from a Hollywood type how many repeat shootings they had to do of a scene because the horse was acting out turning the wrong way due to inept handling. That could be extremely tedious repeating lines.
Is that where 'horsing around' comes from?
 

Kato

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,679
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba - At the end of the road
As far as Dances with Wolves went, I can't remember much about the horse handling in general, but did remember that Kevin Costner did a pretty fine job himself. Lots of bareback riding. Take away the saddle, and it don't take long to see who needs the reins to stay on, and who can sit a horse! :wink:

For horsemanship though, I am the most impressed with Vigo Mortensen from Lord of the Rings and Hidalgo. He actually kept both horses that he used in the movies. And for that matter bought that beautiful Andalusion from the Fellowship of the Ring, and gave it to the stunt woman who rode him, because she loved the horse and couldn't afford to buy him.

It just makes the whole thing more believable when the actor does his/her own riding, and does a good job.

We don't get this new miniseries yet, but I'm sure we will, and intend to watch.
 

ranchwife

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
0
Location
ennis, montana
DOC HARRIS said:
ranchwife said:
just finished watching part 2 and i am pretty well hooked....shows both sides..the native american and the white man sides....really liking it so far, as is my 9 year old history buff!!!! :D almost find myself waiting for next week's episode!!
You're HOOKED!

you are soooo correct!! i am, indeed, hooked!! just watching the look on Flint's face while he watches and learns makes it so worth the wait!! :wink:
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
For DOC HARRIS (I'm assuming you're a medical type not PhD),
The one thing I questioned in the mini-series was when the guy who lugged his sick cousin up the hill who he thought might have cholera and he warned his wife, "Boil the water you drink." I didn't think most people in that era (except in Europe) knew about the importance of boiled water- even into the Civil War era. Seemed to me that might have been a strrrrrretch.
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
nr said:
For DOC HARRIS (I'm assuming you're a medical type not PhD),
The one thing I questioned in the mini-series was when the guy who lugged his sick cousin up the hill who he thought might have cholera and he warned his wife, "Boil the water you drink." I didn't think most people in that era (except in Europe) knew about the importance of boiled water- even into the Civil War era. Seemed to me that might have been a strrrrrretch.
nr - You are correct in your asssumptions - I am not a PhD (loosely interpreted as "Piled higher and Deeper :???: )The Westward Travelers (Pioneers) followed the Eastward-flowing rivers (Platte, Missouri, Smokey Hill, Republican and Arkansas) as they journeyed toward the "Shining Mountains" (Rockies), and Cholera was and had been prevalent even in the early 1800's. The bacterium (Vibrio cholerae) can be in contaminated food, but primarily, in the instance of 'our' "Into The West" series it was in brackish rivers and streams. Those people SHOULD have known to boil their water before consuming it, but - - you know how humans are - the "oh-well- -maybe-just-this-once-won't hurt" attitude could have contributed to their problems. The Civil War era faced the same situations - too much to do and not enough time = BIG TROUBLES! :twisted: I am not standing up for Hollywood, however, just think what would have hit the fan if they had NOT mentioned '- - -boil the water!' - - - -besides - -it made for a GOOD 'scene' and set the stage for future STUFF! :eek: Strrrrrretch? Probably, but good story material. Hoo-Ray for HOLL-YWOOD :p
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
"am not standing up for Hollywood, however, just think what would have hit the fan if they had NOT mentioned '- - -boil the water!' "

That hasn't ever seemed to stop Hollywood before. They present:
unsafe sex without mentioning risk
cigarette smoking without mentioning the risks
pregnant women drinking alcohol...ditto
all the chase scenes in snazzy cars through crowded streets ...ditto

Wish they could at least be historically accurate when it wouldn't even hurt them or cost anything extra.
I also wish they would use correct English on children's shows.
And correct spelling on ads. Toys R Us---ugh!
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
821
Reaction score
0
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
nr said:
"am not standing up for Hollywood, however, just think what would have hit the fan if they had NOT mentioned '- - -boil the water!' "

That hasn't ever seemed to stop Hollywood before. They present:
unsafe sex without mentioning risk
cigarette smoking without mentioning the risks
pregnant women drinking alcohol...ditto
all the chase scenes in snazzy cars through crowded streets ...ditto

Wish they could at least be historically accurate when it wouldn't even hurt them or cost anything extra.
I also wish they would use correct English on children's shows.
And correct spelling on ads. Toys R Us---ugh!
HAH! "Use correct English!? :shock: They don't KNOW correct English :???: :mad: That's one reason our own kids can't speak, write or understand "correct" English! That is another "Don't Get Me Started" Topic! :twisted:
 

Hanta Yo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
13
Location
South Central Montana
DOC HARRIS said:
nr said:
"am not standing up for Hollywood, however, just think what would have hit the fan if they had NOT mentioned '- - -boil the water!' "

That hasn't ever seemed to stop Hollywood before. They present:
unsafe sex without mentioning risk
cigarette smoking without mentioning the risks
pregnant women drinking alcohol...ditto
all the chase scenes in snazzy cars through crowded streets ...ditto

Wish they could at least be historically accurate when it wouldn't even hurt them or cost anything extra.
I also wish they would use correct English on children's shows.
And correct spelling on ads. Toys R Us---ugh!
HAH! "Use correct English!? :shock: They don't KNOW correct English :???: :mad: That's one reason our own kids can't speak, write or understand "correct" English! That is another "Don't Get Me Started" Topic! :twisted:

DITTO!! I'm with you, Doc. GRRR! :mad: :evil:
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,756
Reaction score
35
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Yup. Me too.

And I'm with Doc on the treatment of horses in movies. I watch what went on in those westerns and wonder why I never noticed it when I was younger. It's pretty bad how hard they are on the horses mouths. Sometimes the pain is mirrored in the horses face, even.

Some I must give a little credit to: Ben Johnson (of course); Tom Selleck (he learned to do it right, as he did in every western~what a guy!!! Remember the scene by the graveyard in Crossfire Trail (or was it Last Stand at Saber River) where he reined the horse in a 360~it was NICE! I was so proud of him; Glenn Ford~watch ole Glenn, he was pretty good; and Audie Murphy; and Richard Farnsworth; and Wilford Brimley; and one of my favorites: TOMMY LEE JONES. Come to think of it, Robert Duvall wasn't too bad (Lonesome Dove), or Ricky Shroeder.

Does anyone remember the tv mini series, "The Yellow Rose"? It starred Sam Elliot and he was good, but the HORSEMAN was Eddie Albert, Jr. He was 'Kesto', the attorney, but he helped out on the ranch. I loved to watch him ride and he was handy with the horses. He rode a mexican saddle. Probably no one noticed but me, but I've been a fan of his ever since that mini-series.

Oh, yes, and Doug McClure as 'Trampas' on the Virginian, years ago. He did a very credible job and was a good rider and horseman, IMO.

I give Vigo Mortenson a 'thumbs up.' He did an excellent job.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Big Muddy rancher said:
You could tell that Ken Curtis "Festus " was a hand and James Arness "Matt" wasn't.

Dang Big Muddy! You must be old! :wink:
Remember when Festus traveled the rodeos? Seems like Miss Kitty was with him a few times. He was quite a showman!
 

Latest posts

Top