• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

no longer starvin'

Help Support Ranchers.net:

starvin'dog

Reaction score
9712383.jpeg
[/url]

got him![/img]

So I had this guy spotted before the season. He was in the same corner of a big field for two nights in a row before the opener.
I went in the day before and set up a little blind complete with a sawhorse shooting bench and sandbag. Like fish in a barrel.
I'm walking in in the dark opening morning and I hear 'thunk, thunk...thunk-thunk' in the back of the field. Now what kind of an idiot would be driving back there an hour before daylight! You almost expect to get messed up by road hunters around here. I listened some more and realized that it was fighting bulls that I was hearing. Game on!
I got settled in my blind and listened to bulls fighting and bugling back and forth, which was awesome except the sound was coming from too far North for them to be in my field. 5 o'clock was the last bugle and I could here them crashing in the river bottom bush, dang.
At daybreak I made my way across a beaver dam and headed west, saw a nice brown bear and a spiker elk that I left alone. Looked ahead and was suprised to see a herd of elk in a field. Boogied on up there but I knew this land was posted. There were about 20 cows, this guy and 7 other bulls in the group that were giving the big guy fits. I figured where they would likely end up and started running down a trail to cut them off. A couple minutes into my jogging I get passed by a truck on the trail, then another. These guys would have to have driven right by the elk so I started back dejectedly thinking they are gone. Got back on top and glassed and found the big bull and cows still out and on legal ground. Fat guy starts his second workout of the year! Got within 4-500 yards and he pushed his cows over a hill into the river bottom. Well I'm here now so got up (had been crawling on my belly like a reptile) and walked out to the hill looking for a spot to set up for evening. I'm in the middle of the field when a half dozen cows come over the hill heading straight for me. Dropped to my but with my elbows on my knees 'cause I know who's coming next! Over he trots with his nose up, rack over his back and blowing steam. I cow called at him with my mouth and he pulls up broadside at 100 yards. Game over.
The last five seconds of the story is a vision I'll remember for the rest of my life.

ps. for Mike
Ruger #1, 270 weatherby magnum.
150 grain hornady's, first shot center punched lungs, bullet under hide on off side, Third shot 250 yards high through both shoulders, pass through.
Second bullet not recovered from what ever tree it may have hit behind him.

:D :D :D :D GREAT BULL AND AWESOME STORY!!!!!!!! :D :D :D I bet seeing that big bugger come strolling through the field following those cows was a rush! I'd a pee'd my pants. :oops: :D SWEET!

Latest posts