• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

North American BSE may have originated in the US

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike, I can take it I guess, but I had to get it off my chest.

Did you ever see Pure Country with George Strait? There was a character called Ernest I think, that said it best. He said something like, " There's to much talkin' goin on. What is it that is said that everybody already doesn't know about anyway? Instead of talkin', we ought to be eatin', sleepin', or workin'".

And that's all I'm gonna say about this. :D

... and this is all I'm going to say about this... :)

This Canadian doesn't see how this news story made the leap from 'two cows had testing problems', to the US being the source of a plague. Sounds to me like sensationalism at it's worst. It's just what we don't need, on either side of the border.

I think the reason we up here are so cranky, especially with the R-calvers, is that this is exactly the kind of news they have insisted on dragging out over and over again about us. It gets pretty thin after two years.

I am worried. I have been worried for a long time now, that there would be a big 'cover up' scandal about this whole thing. We have paid a heavy price for being open about this BSE issue, and don't want to have that go to waste because your government chose a different route, and got burned over it. And you sure don't want to be in our shoes if it happens to you, believe me. :?

We don't want you to have BSE, believe it or not. We also don't want you to be considered to be skirting it either, because that hurts all of us. If it's not there, good. :) But for Pete's sake, don't let anyone think you're not looking for it! Be up front and open.

That said, we have also been the subjects of good old CBC investigative reporting, and it's not fun.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Protect Consumer Confidence at all costs! :!:

You're absolutely correct Kato. Protect consumer confidence at all costs. If it were up to me I'd be like Japan and be testing every damn thing that could moo. Might not find any positives but the perception of safety couldn't hurt.

But the problem is.................we cattlemen have no more control over our beloved politicians than you do over your guvment.

What if........all the fuss and claims that USDA is deliberately trying not to find BSE...........covering up mistakes.......making foolish mistakes......on and on, you name it......is just the usual people trying to bring down our rare moment of power by a more than less conservative government.

Some of the "former" this, that, or other government employee whistle-blower, and/or union member people could be right. They also could be "getting even", and/or trying to end improvements (which are seen by some as cutting union jobs) in meat inspection and other areas.

We simply do not know the facts and our postulating is speculation.

It could not help but be more productive than our previous course of action has been if we would all work to: improve the best science available; promote better and more research; keep "news releases" honest, accurate and positive; work for the good of the cattle/beef industry rather than promote an agenda designed to harm or eliminate any particular organization; and most important of all: pray for the good of our industry and all the people involved in it.

MRJ

Latest posts