• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nose Blab for Cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
I have a cow sucking on other cows and am wondering what brand of Nose Blab you use on cows? I can find lots of the quiet wean ones around here, but they can't be bent, twisted or re-engineered to fit into a full grown cows nose. I have tried. She is already on the death list, but I need to stop her sucking for at least a few more months.

I was considering a .270 model one made of lead, but thought I had best get a calf to weaning first.

I'd put a ring in her nose but first I'd make a bracket to bolt on it with some spikes pointing upward as she tried to nurse she'd poke the cow and most likely get kicked. A couple cable clamp's with a rod welded across with the spikes protruding upwards I even make it over lap about 2 inches on each side of the nose ring. To bad your not close I'd have that rigged up in about ten minutes. :evil: Then weld a piece of chain on it right in the center about 6" long that would interfere with the tit also.

Denny said:
I'd put a ring in her nose but first I'd make a bracket to bolt on it with some spikes pointing upward as she tried to nurse she'd poke the cow and most likely get kicked. A couple cable clamp's with a rod welded across with the spikes protruding upwards I even make it over lap about 2 inches on each side of the nose ring. To bad your not close I'd have that rigged up in about ten minutes. :evil: Then weld a piece of chain on it right in the center about 6" long that would interfere with the tit also.

Would you do the welding before or after you put it in the cow? :wink: :cowboy:

A simple nose ring works to stop sucking most of the time if that does not work the auction is another viable option.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

Depends on the cow and my mood.

Denny said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

I expect with all that iron, she would look like a modern teenager!
Perhaps a long string of high tensile on a nose ring would work, then if I see her sucking I can drop the end on a live fence.

Denny said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

oughta be room to incorporate a duckfoot shovel, boot scraper and one of them old ice skates that clamped onto your shoe....

Sounds like this is a common problem with modern Angus. We had several daughters of a popular Angus bull do this. They are no longer here havn't had one since. We have been more careful in recent years on our sire selection as there are not many real cow outfits out there raising Angus seedstock. The cowherd here is bred up from a Hereford base and I can honestly say never seen a whiteface cow do this.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/lightning-ridge-farmer-under-investigation-for-racially-abusing-black-cattle/
A LIGHTNING RIDGE pastoralist is being investigated by the RSPCA over allegations he has been racially abusing his Angus cattle.

It's claimed by the animal protection organisation that Philip Rochford, a 61-year-old local farmer, referred to a breeder cow as a "big black bitch" during scheduled "preg testing" in March.

Testing for a pregnancy in cattle is especially distressing for the animal as an operator needs to insert his arm, sometimes up to the elbow, to check for the presence of a foetus through the rectal cavity.
On this particular occasion which is under investigation, it is alleged by the RSPCA that the Angus cow took offence to Mr Rochford putting his arm up her back passage and began to "buck widely" in the cattle crush.

Mr Rochford then let out a string of highly derogatory and racial insults directed toward the cow.

The 3-year-old cow told investigators that Rochford called her "a mad old black **** of a thing" and a "******* black ****" when she began to raise her objections to having an arm up her arse.

Outside Lightning Ridge Local Court, the father of three said the charges where "bullshit and defamatory because everybody knows that animals can't speak English".

"Look this is just another stunt by those PETA dimwits,"

"They sit up in their ivory tower in their cotton shirts and leather boots and tell farmers that they're monsters,"

"That's why I'll always love and support my daughters – so they don't get a complex and become animal rights activists,"

"As for the charges, of course I'm going to fight them. I'm not going to get a criminal record for swearing at a cow." he said.

A similar incident made headlines last month, when the RSPCA knocked on the door of a Broken Hill grazier after he was caught on film swearing at a herd of sheep.

Investigators were tipped off by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) because it was thought that sheep were able to understand and comprehend English.

This merino wether, Kevin, was offended by a Broken Hill farmer's language. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate
This merino wether, Kevin, was offended by a Broken Hill farmer's language. PHOTO: I. Gashkori/Betoota Advocate

Ellis Raymond, the sheep farmer at the centre of the Broken Hill controversy, told local radio that he was "unaware that the sheep had been offended by his remarks".

"I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise publicly to a 4-year-old Merino wether that I've known all his life," he said.

"When he decided to turn around in the race and spit out his drench, I called him 'a dumb ****' and that was wrong of me,"

"Furthermore, I implored him to 'take his ******* medicine' by pulling his head up and forcing him to swallow the drench by holding his mouth shut,"

"So Kevin the sheep, from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry for calling you a '******* dumb ****' and I'll never do it again." said Mr Raymond.

Mr Raymond was promptly fined for "swearing repeatedly" during a live broadcast and was banned for life from ABC 999 Broken Hill.

Latest posts