• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Not fit for man nor beast

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
It is 46 degrees, raining hard, with a 20 mph wind, and gust to 40. I had to feed the calves. Today would have been a good day for a cab on the tractor. But...... neither tractor has one. Reminded me of all those years on the coast. Not good memories. More like nightmares. And I remembered why I moved to the high desert. I bet the calves don't gain any today.

It is 46 degrees, raining hard, with a 20 mph wind, and gust to 40. I had to feed the calves. Today would have been a good day for a cab on the tractor. But...... neither tractor has one. Reminded me of all those years on the coast. Not good memories. More like nightmares. And I remembered why I moved to the high desert. I bet the calves don't gain any today.
But, most often, there is always tomorrow. No guarantees though.
I was surprised you get wind where you live.

The wind has to come from the east or southeast to get a run at my place. Every other direction I have big mountains or hills to block it. Today it was from the southeast. There was places against one of the lower hills where I was in the leeward side. But the mouth of any of the draws off the hills it was howling. Something about rain falling sideways that makes things uncomfortable.

We got .75 yesterday, with the wind. I don't like trailing cows when it's hot but cold and windy isn't fun either! When we trailed to the BLM we were rather cold, had wind and major dust.

I got an inch and a half. Combine that with the 0.6 I got on Friday makes 2.1. About 20% of the annual. It would be nice to get some of this at a time of the year when it would really help. But the river hasn't come up too much so a lot of it soaked in.

The wind has to come from the east or southeast to get a run at my place. Every other direction I have big mountains or hills to block it. Today it was from the southeast. There was places against one of the lower hills where I was in the leeward side. But the mouth of any of the draws off the hills it was howling. Something about rain falling sideways that makes things uncomfortable.
We have had a lot of SE wind this year. Usually that means moisture, but not this year.

I got an inch and a half. Combine that with the 0.6 I got on Friday makes 2.1. About 20% of the annual. It would be nice to get some of this at a time of the year when it would really help. But the river hasn't come up too much so a lot of it soaked in.
Oh it will help alot, need moisture in the ground before it freezes and things can still greenup. Our cows (hopefully) stay out til Christmas so a little greenup and softened feeds makes them alot happier.

75 MPH gusts here today. Snapped off a few power poles and tipped over semi trucks on interstate 80. Supposed to start raining about 6 pm and change over to snow down to 5400 feet by midnight. Seeing as how i live at about 6 grand i reckon the morning may be Christmassy looking.

Thanks for the heads up, 'H. Here is what we have coming our way: (we already have trees uprooted around the area because of the big snow storm we had last week. This should get a few more.) 😥

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Billings MT
242 PM MDT Mon Oct 25 2021

MTZ030>033-036-037-057-058-138-169-171-173-WYZ198-199-262045-
Treasure-Northern Rosebud-Custer-Fallon-Powder River-Carter-
Northern Big Horn-Southern Rosebud-Southern Big Horn-
Bighorn Canyon-Pryor/Northern Bighorn Mountains-
Northeastern Yellowstone-Northeast Bighorn Mountains-
Sheridan Foothills-
242 PM MDT Mon Oct 25 2021

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for portions of south central
Montana...southeast Montana and north central Wyoming.

* WHAT...Strong Winds.

* WHERE...Southern Montana into Northern Wyoming.

* WHEN...Wednesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...West to northwest wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph
are expected Wednesday afternoon, persisting into the evening
hours. Locally stronger gusts are possible near any isolated
showers that may form.

* ADDITIONAL HAZARD CONCERNS...These winds will make travel
difficult for high profile vehicles due to sudden crosswinds. To
prevent damage secure any loose outdoor items including Halloween
decorations.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Be sure to stay tuned for further updates on this potential
hazardous weather.

Same system went thru here last night after midnight.I've heard from 7/10ths to an inch and a half.I'll take both the cool weather and the rain.The wind can go somewhere else.I guess something has to prune the trees back every once in a while.

The mnt last night. Been helping an older gentleman try and get a buck. Decided to pass this one. But that's a solid 8 inches of snow
1ACC2DDB-3B15-40EC-B741-BE77AE13C8BA.jpeg

Tough going for the wildlife, but we are loving this fall! We had that foot of snow, then rain afterwards. We got .6 yesterday. Looking so much better than this time last year. The elk have come down, Mr. FH hears them bugle every night. It's a bit late for bugling but they are doing it. Glad for everyone who has received moisture!!! Makes your soul happy.

Oh it will help alot, need moisture in the ground before it freezes and things can still greenup. Our cows (hopefully) stay out til Christmas so a little greenup and softened feeds makes them alot happier.
It is raining again right now. Not hard enough to amount to something like Sunday but it is more moisture. Yesterday I said something to Bert about the cows staying out to Christmas. He said that would be great. The hay guys who are sitting on their hay would have to turn it loose and it would drop the price. I saw an ad for hay yesterday. It said $220. I looked closer it was $220 per bale. I about choked.

Latest posts