• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NRA calls for Policeman in every School

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

NRA calls for armed guards at every school after Sandy Hook

By MIke Lillis - 12/21/12 01:08 PM ET

The National Rifle Association (NRA) on Friday broke its week-long silence in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. elementary school massacre, calling for a national program to put armed police in every school.

In a jam-packed news conference at the posh Willard Hotel in Washington, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said "properly trained armed good guys" – not tougher gun laws – are the only effective way to protect the country's schoolchildren.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," he said. "I call on Congress today to act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every single school in this nation – and to do it now."

I figured this would be one of the first requests as a way to handle the problem - but I misjudged the direction it would come from....

Very expensive idea.... I have no idea how many schools there are in the country- but heard on tv the number 100,000 being used-- many of which were multibuilding campus's with as many as 40-50 buildings... Training, equipping and putting an armed police officer in each building would be extremely costly--- and sure moves us one more step into being a police state...

Ironically today I also heard a Dr. talking about that nutcase shooters autism... He said it is the same type of autism that Darryl Hannah and Temple Grandin have ......

Training, equipping and putting an armed police officer in each building would be extremely costly--- and sure moves us one more step into being a police state...

we already have armed police officer in our locally schools, and have had for awhile as well as security officers..

when the cost is calculated is it that much?

by hiring retired and ex military the cost could be reduced drastically..

add in the officer could also deter other crimes.. and give children a person to turn to..

besides it is a better jobs program and stimulus the just extending unemployment..

Steve said:
Training, equipping and putting an armed police officer in each building would be extremely costly--- and sure moves us one more step into being a police state...

we already have armed police officer in our locally schools, and have had for awhile as well as security officers..

when the cost is calculated is it that much?

by hiring retired and ex military the cost could be reduced drastically..

add in the officer could also deter other crimes.. and give children a person to turn to..

besides it is a better jobs program and stimulus the just extending unemployment..

Oh don't get me wrong- I think its a great idea...A lot better than more gun laws- and a good way to put returning military to work...

But will all the tightwad Tea Boys be willing to reach into their pocket to pay the extra cost- or will they want to pull a Bush and put the cost on the charge card :???: I'll bet the Dems will want to put a tax on guns/ammo to pay the costs...

I mean in order to do this- Congress will have to say YES to a budget increase :wink:

Oldtimer said:
NRA calls for armed guards at every school after Sandy Hook

By MIke Lillis - 12/21/12 01:08 PM ET

The National Rifle Association (NRA) on Friday broke its week-long silence in the wake of the Newtown, Conn. elementary school massacre, calling for a national program to put armed police in every school.

In a jam-packed news conference at the posh Willard Hotel in Washington, NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said "properly trained armed good guys" – not tougher gun laws – are the only effective way to protect the country's schoolchildren.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," he said. "I call on Congress today to act immediately to appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every single school in this nation – and to do it now."

I figured this would be one of the first requests as a way to handle the problem - but I misjudged the direction it would come from....

Very expensive idea.... I have no idea how many schools there are in the country- but heard on tv the number 100,000 being used-- many of which were multibuilding campus's with as many as 40-50 buildings... Training, equipping and putting an armed police officer in each building would be extremely costly--- and sure moves us one more step into being a police state...

Ironically today I also heard a Dr. talking about that nutcase shooters autism... He said it is the same type of autism that Darryl Hannah and Temple Grandin have ......

Not that expensive O.T., people will pay a little more to know that their kids are safe if they have to .Do you have a better idea ? I do, we'll get your boy Oblamea to prove that he really gives a damn, & stop sending foreign aid to everyone. We could use that money to protect OURSELVES, & our children & stop helping fund terrorist's & dictators, & probably have money left over.Hire Ex-military personnel that are unemployed, & kill 2 birds with one stone. Hows that for a plan ?

autism is not the same in every child, nor person,.. like any genetic disease it can be severe or extremely mild... Daryl is more then likely not even noticeable while many would see that Temple is effected by it ..

I know a child with aspergers, if you met him now you would just think he is a bright little child,.. but his family has worked with him and made sure they know how to deal with him...

early on he had difficulty communicating, and was taught to sign it helped with communicating with him as well as this lessened his "meltdowns'...

his routine has to be rigid and very structured. and his interests differ from most children his age,

he tends to be factual and a bit blunt in a conversation.. with little gray area between right and wrong.. or more correctly between what he considers acceptable and not acceptable..

with two loving parents and a strong father figure he has progressed well..

one trait I see is that often he will listen to a man and question repeatedly almost anything a woman says if it is not formed as an order or absolute..

if his mother or grandmother asked him to wash his hands before supper.. he would question both the need for washing his hands as well as eating supper.. If said go wash your hands it is supper time.. no argument at all..

given a bag of chips told he could have some, he would eat the whole bag.. but "told" to take a serving he would count out a serving and not eat one more...

with the shooter I noticed many of the baby sitters were males.. maybe the mom found out early having a girl watch him was disastrous..

when thinking about the shooter and his behavior..

given that he doesn't quite understand right and wrong,.. just acceptable and not acceptable.. allowing a young adult with aspergers to play violent games for days on end could be a recipe for disaster.

I mean in order to do this- Congress will have to say YES to a budget increase

first, .. employing 10,000 plus new officers would reduce unemployment costs.. add in that paying a person in the military costs money and reducing the size of the military would reduce the budget..

and the rest could be offset by reducing some other un-needed plan

Or we could get Oblamea to stop giving millions to companies like Solyndra that go bankrupt,cut back on free phones,free housing, & welfare to the lazy asses that won't try to help themselves. There is plenty of money to spend ,You & your Democrat buddies just need to get your PRIORITIES Straight.

Steve said:

first, .. employing 10,000 plus new officers would reduce unemployment costs.. add in that paying a person in the military costs money and reducing the size of the military would reduce the budget..

and the rest could be offset by reducing some other un-needed plan

Your ideas make sense to me ,but you have to understand that Oltimer ,Oblamea & their liberal pals don't think this way. They just want to RAISE TAXES,spend MORE, & not cut back spending for anything, even if it's wasteful.

Oh don't get me wrong- I think its a great idea...A lot better than more gun laws- and a good way to put returning military to work...

But will all the tightwad Tea Boys be willing to reach into their pocket to pay the extra cost- or will they want to pull a Bush and put the cost on the charge card I'll bet the Dems will want to put a tax on guns/ammo to pay the costs...

Is it somehow both things at once?

I can think of a slew of government programs that could be axed to pay for this, or any reduction of government waste, or Stimulus wasted.....

Maybe they could put all those Consulate Security Guards to work for a change?

You know, the ones they DIDN'T send to Libya when they were sorely needed?

I feel sure there are enough parents around here to man the schools. Maybe not 8-10 hours a day but at least enough hours indeterminately to keep 'em guessing.

Traveler said:

But will all the tightwad Tea Boys be willing to reach into their pocket to pay the extra cost- or will they want to pull a Bush and put the cost on the charge card I'll bet the Dems will want to put a tax on guns/ammo to pay the costs...

Is it somehow both things at once?

I can think of a slew of government programs that could be axed to pay for this, or any reduction of government waste, or Stimulus wasted.....

Well- the old cop in me has always liked having school officers-- because besides being able to guard the place-- they often can head off problems they see developing in kids- get loads of informant info from the kids on crimes being committed- and often develop a rapport with some kids that even the school employees/guidance don't....
We used to station regular and reserve officers in the schools during all sporting events (actually a MHSA requirement) - and it worked well....
But providing enough officers to cover schools during all the time they are open- both with school and extracurricular events will not be cheap...

I just wasn't sure the old skinflint don't raise my taxes/costs folks would agree with it.... In order to make this come about- they will have to develop a positive plan--- something I didn't think the Tea Party crew could do... :wink:

But then at the same time the Libertarian/conservative in me hates to see another federal law/mandate putting police in every school- and in doing so removing more local control... I keep seeing the pictures of countries like Israel that have machine gun armed police walking the hallways of their schools/public buildings... Is that where we are headed... :???:

I keep seeing the pictures of countries like Israel that have machine gun armed police walking the hallways of their schools/public buildings... Is that where we are headed..

Maybe we are if the schools are kept as "Gun Free" zones and the kids treated like sitting ducks.

Whoever came up with that idea is a real wizard.

Mike said:
I keep seeing the pictures of countries like Israel that have machine gun armed police walking the hallways of their schools/public buildings... Is that where we are headed..

Maybe we are if the schools are kept as "Gun Free" zones and the kids treated like sitting ducks.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was originally passed as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990. It was signed into law by George H. W. Bush.....

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was originally passed as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990. It was signed into law by George H. W. Bush.....

Who came up with the idea, Einstein?

One man does not make an "Act Of Congress".

Not saying he wanted to, but because there are some fair sections in the Crime Control Act, he would have taken heat for not signing and protecting kids...

We now see that it needs repeal.

I will bet that Joe Biden threw that one in there. How Much? :lol: :lol:

The last thing we need in the schools is 10000 swaggering cops.Things are bad enough all ready.

smalltime said:
The last thing we need in the schools is 10000 swaggering cops.Things are bad enough all ready.

so if the worst officer on the force was dropping his child off at the Newton Connecticut school as it was beginning, you would rather he sat in his car and waited for the rest of the swaggering force to come by later after the children were all vacated from the school?

Local, state officials react to NRA's call for armed guards at schools

By Rob Rogers

National Rifle Association executive vice president and CEO Wayne LaPierre on Friday called for the creation of a new program that would put armed guards or police officers in every school in the nation.

Billings School District 2 Superintendent Terry Bouck isn't convinced that's the best choice.

"It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction and not very well thought out," he said.

SD2 is home to 16,000 students, 22 elementary schools, four middle schools, three high schools and the Career Center. It would take a lot of manpower and money to implement a plan like that, Bouck said.

"What does that mean?" he asked. "What does that cost?"

Bouck is leery of creating an environment where the "collateral damage" would be students and staff members.

Besides, he said, SD2 already has a close working relationship with the Billings Police Department.

This past week, after the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, Billings Police Chief Rich St. John met multiple times with Bouck and SD2 leadership as the district dealt with various rumors and threats.

Working together, St. John increased the police presence at Billings schools throughout the week, and Bouck dispatched his administrative staff to help watch doors and hallways.

The police department also provides five school resource officers to serve SD2's four middle schools and three high schools. The program allows police officers — who are armed — to be in the schools and interact with students in a positive and constructive way.

"What a great way to establish relationships and rapport," St. John said.

St. John is more comfortable than Bouck with placing officers or armed personnel in each school.

"It's smart," he said. "And it's something we'd love to do."

But, St. John acknowledged, a plan like that wouldn't be feasible.

"Unless I get 25 or 30 more officers, it's just not going to happen," he said.

State Superintendent of Schools Denise Juneau said a comprehensive approach will make Montana schools more secure. Like Bouck, she expressed discomfort with placing armed personnel in every school in the state.

"We need a multifaceted approach to prevent tragedies like this in the future," she said.

The state needs to provide access to mental-health services, consider "common sense" gun control and educate students on discerning and understanding violence in the media, she said.

She added that the state needs to ensure schools have updated emergency and safety procedures with the necessary training and resources to carry them out.

She also liked the idea of better using the school resource officer program.

"School resource officers are present in many of our schools, and our schools have close relationships with local law enforcement to ensure school safety," she said. "Those effective partnerships have been demonstrated across the state as schools have worked to ensure the safety of Montana students following the tragedy in Connecticut."

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/education/local-state-officials-react-to-nra-s-call-for-armed/article_6ecad316-f39e-55d0-912f-63e4dd3dfe0d.html#ixzz2FnOzCfLm

The reaction was not surprising-- with school officials cold to the idea- and law enforcement liking it- but rationally realizing the high cost to get it done...
Just like I'm sure the majority of schools will fight any idea to rescind the Gun Free School Zone law-- or require/allow school personnel to carry firearms...

12566_434397579963206_179469701_n.jpg

Not sure if the numbers are correct- but it won't matter anyway as we all know we will never get either of the cults from sticking their nose overseas nationbuilding and trying to be policemen of the world...... Just have to realize- If NRA gets their way- its going to cost us more out of pocket..

The reaction was not surprising-- with school officials cold to the idea- and law enforcement liking it- but rationally realizing the high cost to get it done...

instead of putting one officer in every school.. just convert a few classrooms to the police headquarters.. at the entrances of the school building..

It's just another suggestion for a federal law that doesn't get to the root of the problem. If anything, it should be up to the states to set the security standards for their schools and then for each individual district to implement the state mandated security policy as the district sees fit. Whether that policy is arming teachers (not a good idea in my opinion), paying for an officer at each school (like Steve said, we have them here in NJ), or just by stepping up physical security. And physical security is where I feel we could make the greatest difference.

For work I am in and out of Gov't buildings, schools, and businesses ranging from mom and pop stores to Corporate offices. Besides the mom and pop stores, who are normally retail and have to have an open door policy, the second easiest place to get into is a school. Ring the buzzer, state company name (if they even ask), and I'm in. Free to wander the halls if I choose. I don't, I go straight to the office, if I can find it. Only there do I get asked what the nature of my visit is, for ID, and who I need to see.

To get access into most businesses it normally goes one of two ways. The first involves the getting buzzed in by the receptionist who is sitting right on the other side of the door and can see me. Before getting buzzed in, I'm asked who I'm there to see, and who I'm with. Once in the receptionist calls my contact and I stand and wait until the contact comes and escorts me everywhere. The second way is when there is no receptionist. I stand out in a locked vestibule, call my contact explain my business, and wait for the contact to come let me in and escort me. No remotely buzzing someone in.

See the problem? I'm not advocating making schools into prisons, but I feel schools could have a one time expense for upgrades to their physical security and be much safer then they were. There will be times when part of that security plan calls for an officer (example... old school with no ac so must have open windows). We are never going to completely eliminate these mass murders, but we can deter them and mitigate the risks.

Latest posts