• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nutty teacher placed on leave

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
By Valerie Richardson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published March 3, 2006
http://www.washtimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20060303-122026-6769r

AURORA, Colo. -- By many accounts, teacher Jay Bennish was notorious for veering off topic to blast President Bush, capitalism and U.S. foreign policy during his social-studies classes here at Overland High School.
Then Sean Allen got an MP3 player for Christmas.
This week, Mr. Bennish was placed on administrative leave pending a school-district investigation after 16-year-old Sean recorded a lecture during his sophomore geography class in which the teacher compared Mr. Bush to Adolf Hitler.
During the 20-minute recording, Mr. Bennish said there were "eerie similarities" between "things that Adolf Hitler used to say" and Mr. Bush's statements during his Jan. 31 State of the Union address.
Mr. Bennish also said that capitalism was "at odds with human rights," and that the United States was "probably the most violent nation on planet Earth."
Jeff Allen, Sean's father, said his son would often complain about his teacher's left-wing rants, but Mr. Allen assumed he was exaggerating -- until he heard Mr. Bennish on the recording.
"I had no idea he was this nuts," said Mr. Allen.
The Cherry Creek School District is conducting a "thorough investigation" into the matter, but in a statement released Wednesday, officials said "it seems evident that a breach of district policy occurred regarding the balanced presentation of sensitive material."
District policy allows teachers to offer their views on issues, within certain parameters, said district spokeswoman Tustin Amole.
"We encourage teachers to express their opinions, but they must be in the context of the class they are teaching and they have to provide both sides," she said.
She added that students are permitted to bring recording devices to class, and that Sean will not face disciplinary action for recording the lecture.
Mr. Bennish was placed on paid leave in part to shield him from the public outcry over the issue, she said. Sean has discussed the matter publicly on two popular Denver radio talk-show programs.
"It's to take pressure off him [Mr. Bennish] -- he's under a lot of pressure and having a really hard time," said Ms. Amole. "We also wanted to get a substitute and get the students in his classes back on track."
Sean has also faced his share of backlash. He opted to stay home from school yesterday after hearing from friends that some students wanted to beat him up, said Mr. Allen.
"All the parents I've heard from have been supportive," said Mr. Allen. "But Sean is getting threats of physical violence from his classmates. I had to cut a business trip short to get home because I'm worried about him."
About 200 Overland students staged a morning walk-out yesterday to support Mr. Bennish, waving signs with messages such as "Let Him Teach!" Another group of students held a counter-rally backing Sean, shouting, "Teach, don't preach! Sean was right!"
Radio talk-show host Mike Rosen, who devoted his morning programs on Wednesday and yesterday to the issue, said that caller reaction was "overwhelmingly" against Mr. Bennish.
"I've had more e-mail response to this than any issue in years," said Mr. Rosen. "Callers have been overwhelmingly angry at Jay Bennish."
While some callers favored firing Mr. Bennish, Mr. Allen said he thought the teacher should be retained, albeit with a reprimand. The district expects to reach a decision on the matter next week.
"I don't think he should be fired at all. He should be back in the classroom, but this time teaching geography," said Mr. Allen. "I just want teachers to teach the curriculum."

Is this what you want your kid to be taught in public school?
http://www.850koa.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=news_worthy.xml

zephyrus31 said:
Thank God for techno! :wink: No, but seriously, talking about politics in an education centre is illegal in America too, right Cal?

No, it is not illegal. Indoctrination has been going on in Public schools for some time in the U.S.

It is what they have been taught in liberal colleges by liberal professsors.

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but a little of it was more than enough. He compares growing tobacco to countries justified in dropping bombs on the state that does this? Man, is he ever screwed up.

And he should be fired. If he is that goofy in this area, he is goofy in others as well.

OUT, OUT, OUT.

This is terrifying. Parents, find out what your kids are being taught.
This is brainwashing...

With me being in an elementary school I dont have to deal with "touchy" issue other than Christmas & Evolution. Politics are lost on the kids I teach. They only repeat what they hear not form their own opionin.
But if you think they are NOT getting indoctrinated your WRONG. 90% of the material I have to teach from is left leaning...ie made by the Wildlife conservation socitey. Peta and the animal rights groups have use the liberal education system to their advatage. I have a hard time getting lesson plans that show both sides.
I hear all the time how "evil" Bush is in front of kids and the kids parrott them. You can not tell them what to believe you have to show BOTH sides but kids are not Dumb they hear the teachers in the halls talking and then most will NOT give an unbiased lesson. It is about time Teachers are called on being biased. I am very vocal about my beliefs and tell the kids both sides. YES it is more work but I want these kids to be able to "think"
I do have to thahk a few on here ...I get more from yall on both sides of an issue then I do anywhere else.

It is what they have been taught in liberal colleges by liberal professsors.

Where'd you go to college, FH?

I went to school in rural Nebraska where most of my gen.ed. profs were quite conservative. (of my teacher ed. profs, one was fairly liberal, but the rest I don't know. It was never really discussed...)

So far as teachers in regular school, again, I've only taught in rural Nebraska/South Dakota. Good luck trying to prove public schools are liberal in my neck of the woods... :wink:

So far as teachers in regular school, again, I've only taught in rural Nebraska. Good luck trying to prove public schools are liberal in my neck of the woods...

LOL come to my neck of the woods ....UGGGGGGGG
hmm wanna trade??????? heheheheh

I bet :lol: Wonder why I am planning on moving????
Want to get away from the BS. Would LOVE to be able to teach and not have a script I have to read.

http://www.vidstogo.com/player.php?vfname=geography&ext=wmv

warning,......some vulgar language....

watch carefully.......a lesson why teachers should stick to teaching and not politics.......

Geography is a key to understanding and acting effectively in our world. It is the subject that, more than any other, enables people to comprehend the earth and its environment, and to appreciate the delicate balances between the human and physical elements that bind people to this planet. However, more than half of our children are failing to achieve geographic literacy. Several reports from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) reveal alarming deficiencies in the geography learning of American youth. Furthermore, a recent international survey by the Gallup Organization found that young Americans lag far behind their age-mates in other industrially developed countries in their map skills and knowledge of geography.

Washington, D.C. — A delegation of American high school students today demanded the United States stop waging war in obscure nations such as Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, and instead attack places they've actually heard of, such as France, Australia, and Mexico, unless, they said, those last two are the same country.
student testifies
"Shouldn't we, as Americans, get to decide where wars are?" asked sophomore Kate Shermansky.

"People claim we don't know as much geography as our parents and grandparents, but it's so not our fault," Josh Beldoni, a senior at Fischer High School in Los Angeles, told the Senate Armed Services Committee. "Back then they only had wars in, like, Germany and England, but we're supposed to know about places like Somalia and Massachusetts."

"Macedonia," corrected committee Chairman Carl Levin of Michigan.

"See?" said Beldoni.

Beldoni's frustration was shared by nearly three dozen students at the hearing, who blamed the U.S. military for making them look bad.

"I totally support our soldiers and all that, but I am seriously failing both geography and social studies because I keep getting asked to find Croatia or Yemvrekia, or whatever bizarre-o country we send troops to," said Amelia Nash, a junior at Clark High School in Orlando, Fla. "Can't we fight in, like, Italy? It's boot-shaped."

Chairman Levin however, explained that Italy was a U.S. ally, and that intervention is usually in response to a specific threat.

"OK, what about Arulco?" interrupted Tyler Boone, a senior at Bellevue High School in Wisconsin. "That's a country in Jagged Alliance 2 run by the evil Queen Deidranna. I'm totally familiar with that place. She's a major threat."

"Jagged...?" said Levin.

"Alliance. It's a computer game."

"Well, no," Levin answered. "We can't attack a fictional country."

"Yeah right," Boone mumbled. "Like Grenada was real."

The students' testimony was supported by a cross-section of high school geography teachers from Colorado, who urged the committee to help lay a solid foundation for America's young people by curtailing any intervention abroad.

"Since the anti-terror war began, most of my students can now point to Afghanistan on a map, which is fine, but those same kids still don't know the capitals of Nevada and Ohio," said Richard Gerber, who teaches at Rhymony High School in Atlanta. "I think we need to cut back on our activities overseas and take care of business at home, and if that means invading Tallahassee (Fla.) or Trenton (N.J.) or New Haven Massachusetts, so that students learn where they are, so be it."

"I've always wanted to stick it to Hartford (Conn.)," said Sen. Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island. "Oh ****, is my microphone on?"

The hearing adjourned after six hours. An estimated 2,000 more students were expected to hold a march in the nation's capital, but forgot which city it was in.

And DUH, why are we having trouble showing their parents that the world is in trouble unless we do something. Oh wait, maybe we should send the Marines into Massachusettes and have them clear out that liberal bunch, starting with Kennedy, Kerry and Stevec. They aren't part of the USA are they?

Thank GOD he didn't try to tell these kids about the right to bear arms.
Because that is something that IS NOT guaranteed by the Constitution, right?

Why are we in IRAQ? To give them freedom? Freedom of what? Speech?

While I don't agree with his analogy, he has EVERY right to say what he wants as long as he makes it understood the kids have the RIGHT to disagree with him.

Lighten up, folks. That's what freedom is all about.

he has EVERY right to say what he wants as long as he makes it understood the kids have the RIGHT to disagree with him.

I believe he was "hired" to teach geography.....not speak about his political views...

maybe he should have looked for a job at a liberal university teaching political science.......

Quote:
he has EVERY right to say what he wants as long as he makes it understood the kids have the RIGHT to disagree with him.

I believe he was "hired" to teach geography.....not speak about his political views...

Its hard sometimes when teaching to keep other issues out of the conversation. These are called teachable moments. BUT you have to make sure once you state your side you HAVE to give the other as well.
How can you teach geography without teaching politics? I can in elementary school cuz all we do is major countries and our state. Once you get past that it becomes political.

I would be ASHAMED to have my students talk to a group let alone Congress and have that much misinformation being quoted by them as fact.

I believe the "story" about congress is a parody.

Its hard sometimes when teaching to keep other issues out of the conversation.

involving "politics" is different then presenting political facts...that would be needed to teach a course......and promoting a biased political agenda

it is okey to teach about communism in discusing China. but wrong to teach communism to children using a class on china as a forum.....

one is teaching children to learn and explore, the other is promoting your political agenda...

Latest posts