• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

oat's and turnips

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
not wanting to derail the sorghum thread, wondering if any of you'all have had any experience with this http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_perfect_pair

Grew turnips once, tap root type. A very dry year and had a 60 percent germination. Waited till it was a foot high or higher, grazed till to the ground and pulled them till regrowth!

Loved the grazing acres, over 140 days an acre, had a straw bale near the water hole to use as a meter of want.

Two down falls, couldn't get powder for beetles as it was being used for grazing and two we had one heifer that got Item and we had to treat her.

Before I ordered seed I google turnip grazing, amazing!

CA

This summer after I hayed my oats crop I planted 60 acres of irrigated and 60 acres of dry land to a cover crop mix of oats, turnips, radishes, vetch, rape, soybeans, lentils, and cow peas. I plan to fence line wean my calves on this with the cows locked up in the corral right beside them. They will also have access to prairie hay in bale feeders and Purina accuration in self feeders. I used this method a few years ago and it worked like a dream. Within a month they will be switched over to a bunk fed growing ration. Calves seem very content to leave the cows to go graze, don't walk the fence, no dust or spooking. Three days later the cows are returned to the pasture.

What would a mix of oats and cool season peas in place of the turnips be like for grazing? How long could a person graze it estimate?

I would guess oats and peas would be a great mix for grazing. Depending on the stocking rate and date of planting you should be able to graze into the winter for quite a while.

Latest posts