• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anthrax getting closer....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
There was an anthrax case 7 miles up the road from us... 1 mile closer and we'd have been quarantined too... Three cows died. We have to vaccinate ASAP but we ordered the vaccind from the vet, says it'll be here monday. A stressfull weekend for sure, so were leaving for the lake... hope it does Dad some good. We put my show cow (Big Ruby aka rubix cube, hayburner, and a couple others. her real name is Linwood Ruby 1N. lol. Anyways we have her and the steers in the corrals... hipe that we dont loose any.

Tghere is a pasture a little wasy from the yard that has a dead cow in it.. pray that it isnt anthrax or we are screwed.

have a good day

Heard on the radio today a vet that said it can take up to 7-10 days b4 the vaccine starts to work. Anyone else know how long b4 it takes to work?

Vaccine is minimum 5 days, up to a MAXIMUM of 21 days, according the CFIA session we were at a couple days ago. Norm is 7 - 10.

ACS, you will NOT be quarantined unless an animal is found dead on your OWN soil. In extraordinary circumstances where rain run off or streams passages move into a neighbors lands, the immediate neighbor may be quarantined, however this has only happened twice during this Anthrax outbreak and is exceedingly rare to have happen.

And don't get too panicked about it. Anthrax is just not that bad. It can't be spread animal to animal, and wiping out herds is just unheard of these days. The worst mass case in the last 10 years in Saskatchewan was 21 animals on a single ranch. Most places are 1 or 2 animals.

When you find a dead animal, get all other animals out of that pasture immediately. While Anthrax is almost never spread animal to animal (it requires to blood to blood transfer), it can go from animal into ground back into another animal, should the other animal lick the spores left on the ground due to blood escaping.

Rod

We used to consider the Anthrax vaccine to be effective by 7 days.
The reasons why we had a major problem in Rhodesia in the 70's, was because vaccination programms in the tribal areas broke down due to the war, and tribemen butchered the carcasses, spreading the spores to humans and livestock alike, normally Anthrax wasn't a problem to stock farmers.

andybob said:
We used to consider the Anthrax vaccine to be effective by 7 days.
The reasons why we had a major problem in Rhodesia in the 70's, was because vaccination programms in the tribal areas broke down due to the war, and tribemen butchered the carcasses, spreading the spores to humans and livestock alike, normally Anthrax wasn't a problem to stock farmers.

Thats interesting- I'll bet there are some disease challenges with livestock in Africa..Probably be a little tough to turn out a Montana raised angus on the plains of Africa- not having resistance to much of the native disease and insects?....

There was another case 9 miles down the road... allc attle are locked into the corral and are getting hay so they catn or shouldnt get anthrax.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
There was another case 9 miles down the road... allc attle are locked into the corral and are getting hay so they catn or shouldnt get anthrax.
Yu got to learn to relax kid.Yu are gettin old before yur time.Yu should be out riding yur new dirt bike or takin' a girl to a movie?

Well ya gotta worry-not much else to do. lol. I think when im on the bike and i dont have a girl to take to the movies. lol. I havent been into town in 2 weeks. lol.

have a good one

lol!!!!!! I dont think I could afford a girlfriend... heard they were pricey... and I hafta pay for feed, reapairs on the bike and huntin stuff so itll be tight... I guess Ill hafta get a job in town. lol.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
lol!!!!!! I dont think I could afford a girlfriend... heard they were pricey... and I hafta pay for feed, reapairs on the bike and huntin stuff so itll be tight... I guess Ill hafta get a job in town. lol.
8) Yep that is what happens,first they make yu get a payin job--then they start interfering in yur huntin time?But on them cold canadian winter nights--Yu can get them to put another log on the fire!

hey now, not all girls would interfere with ur huntin time! hahahah and some aren't too pricey either...i wanna go to the movies :lol: :lol: :wink: jk jk lol

ACS, that was an invite I think, better get down to Montana , and take that little lady to a movie!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........did MCG turn tail and run? :shock: Or is she weeding the garden again? :twisted: Cause I know she's not gettin ready for the fair, cause she done posted pics of that............hmmmmmmmmmmmm :???: :???: :???:

I think shge got in trouble and cant use the computer... thats alll i can figure out cause shes usually on here... :???: idk where she went...

Latest posts