• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oh no! Could it be a double standard??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/7/26/101413.shtml
Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:12 a.m. EDT
Bill Clinton Pardoned Nat'l. Security Leaker

No wonder 2008 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has been silent as a churchmouse about Karl Rove while her Democratic colleagues call for his prosecution for leaking classified information about CIA employee Valerie Plame.

Turns out - in the only case in U.S. history of a person successfully prosecuted for leaking classified information to the press - Hillary's husband pardoned the guilty party. On January 20, 2001, President Clinton pardoned Samuel Loring Morison, a civilian analyst with the Office of Naval Intelligence. In 1984, Morison had been convicted of providing classified satellite photos of an under-construction Soviet nuclear-powered aircraft carrier to Britain's Jane's Defence Weekly.

He received a two-year jail sentence.

In pardoning Morison, Clinton dismissed the advice of the CIA.

"We said we were obviously opposed - it was a vigorous 'Hell, no,'" one senior intelligence official told the Washington Post at the time. "We think ... giving pardons to people who are convicted of doing that sends the wrong signal to people who are currently entrusted with classified information."

Morison is the only person ever successfully prosecuted under the 1917 Espionage Act, the law invoked by Democrats who want to nail Rove after it became clear that he didn't violate the 1982 Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

But it's going to be difficult for Dems to feign national security outrage over Plame's outing when the husband of their party's presidential front-runner let an actual convicted leaker off the hook.

Last week, when Sen. John Kerry called for Mr. Rove to be fired, with Hillary standing by his side, she nodded silently. When reporters asked her what she thought of the alleged Rove outrage, she offered only, "I'm nodding."

No doubt while remembering her husband's pardon of Mr. Morison.

He pardoned him after he was tried and and served his jail time. The Bush Bunch just wants to pretend it's ok to out a CIA agent. A difference I can see; probably not you.

Disagreeable said:
He pardoned him after he was tried and and served his jail time. The Bush Bunch just wants to pretend it's ok to out a CIA agent. A difference I can see; probably not you.

Oh absolutely!! You know Clinton did such a bang-up job with all of the many, many pardons he made. Were there any of them you didn't support?

BTW, keep spinning about the "outed" CIA agent.

I don't have to spin Rove's outing of the CIA agent; the media is getting that story on the front page every day.

Latest posts